Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006

jenweberfuller is on a distinguished road
Looking at a '68 Cal 34

My Husband and I are looking at a '68 Cal 34 which has been well maintained and seems in good condition. We have been sailing a Spirit 6.5 (22ft) for 2 summers and are still learning! The boat we're looking at is reasonably priced, and we're anxious to upgrade. Anybody out there with advice regarding older Cal boats? I'm having trouble finding information on the net regarding this boat. Any info or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This is a roomy boat with a reasonable reputation. There are lots of them around still, making decent coastal cruisers.

As with any boat of this vintage, be on the lookout for the typical problem spots: indications of leaking chainplates, delamination in the deck area, especially around and under the deck-stepped mast, evidence of window leaks and, of course, expect some blistering unless that problem has been addressed.

Find a good one, and I think you can get a lot of boat for minimal money.

If it looks acceptable, get a good survey and go from there.
Old 10-05-2006

smithlar is on a distinguished road
I have a Cal 34 MKIII 1978 for sale in Florida - if interested please email me at tvsunset@aol.com
Larry
Old 10-08-2006

jenweberfuller is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thank you for your comments...we live in northern Michigan...it might be tough for us to see your boat in Florida, and even tougher to get it back to the Great Lakes...but thanks!

As for the Cal we're looking at , it's in GREAT shape and the survey didn't show any serious faults..the only urgent problem is the rub rail is separating from the hull-deck joint in a couple of spots and needs to be reattached. The interior is clean with no evidence of water leakage and the decks are solid over the entire boat. We're pretty psyched....new sails, fully battened main with jiffy reefing and lazyjacks, 130% Genoa on a North roller/furler, Spinnaker with pole and gear, depthsounder, wheel steering, autopilot, fully rebuilt Atomic 4 (in '03) a hull with no blisters, cushions redone recently , etc.etc. all for $9,000. We think we've found a pretty good deal...any comments?
Old 10-09-2006

andrewburcham is on a distinguished road
'60s fiberglass boats

I own a 1968 Alberg 35. I'm a big fan of boats of this vintage. That being said, when I bought mine, it surveyed out fine, and was in 'great shape', but over the last 5 years of upgrading I've replaced every major system. 40 year old wiring, plumbing, refregiration, etc is ready to be overhauled. My goal is not to discourage; $9k sounds like a great deal, and these are proven boats, just be prepared to roll up your sleeves over the coming years.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.