Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mike...read the book but don't believe it! It is a good guide to the route and the chartlets are helpful but take the advice with a big grain of salt!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember, any book written about sailing in an area is really specific to the author's boat, weather encountered and time period, and may have very little to do with you, your boat and the weather you encounter or how the area may have changed in the time between when the passages in the book occurred and when you go through the area.

As someone posted previously, sailing on a set schedule can be pretty suicidal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-01-2006

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Thanks, sounds like a place to start regarding routes, but the thought of being a "gentleman" sailor sorta gives me the willies. I mean if you can't belch on your own boat, WTF ?

Mike
Old 10-02-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA
Thanks for all the input folks, your words are very inspiring. I have owned one or another Cat 36 since 1986 and I know the boat like the back of my hand. I have repaired or replaced every system over 20 years and can singlehand it as easily as my Miata. It is the absolute perfect boat for me ( as long as it's a pre 1992 before they destroyed the great nav station in place of an "aft cabin"....yuch!) I figured that knowing the boat so well would inspire more confidence when attempting new sailing grounds. My retirement idea is to find and buy a second 36 (this one would be shoal draft) in the northeast in the Spring, spend the summer upgrading her rigging and installing needed equipment and then head south down the ICW with the snowbirds. Looking at a few years of sailing the islands and then who knows. Would probably keep my current 36 in LA. Might have to rename them Tweedledie and Tweedledum. My first question was "will the boat handle it?" and you've answered that for me, thanks. I thought it might work as my prior owner took my boat to Acapulco & back. Yeah, I know I could find a better boat for the trip, but true love is a funny thing.

Thanks, Mike
Talk about 'thinking outside the box' the two-boat thing sounds intriguing! Your comment about the nav station is so right (where else would you put your laptop to keep in touch with all of us?)

Cam - 30 DAYS waiting for a weather break? I got restless after waiting only a week on Culebra. We finally decided to beat the 20 miles to Saint Thomas (20 kts, 10-12 foot seas, on the nose). But I was bored! I had always wondered what kind of loonies would want to anchor in John Brewer bay, at the west end of St Thomas, right under the airport. After 5 hours that bay, the first available place to chill out, looked just lovely to me. Moral: ...something about sailing with a schedule...
Old 10-02-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Mike read the book and you won't worry about farting let alone belching.
Bruce VanSant made the trip down through the islands many many times in more than one boat before writing his book. He has far more knowledge of the trip than anyone on this forum, in fact is probably the number one expert in the world. You can take his advice with a grain of salt, if you wish, but he'll be the first to tell you, you're a fool, if you don't follow his advice. Read the preface first which states that this book is not for people on a schedule or with limited time. I also might add that many women find it offensive and he is as arrogant as the book suggests but people I have talked to who have followed his advice have stated it is bang on.
Old 10-03-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Eryka...as it happens I was in Luperon WITH VanSant when I waited for 30 days! His book is worthwhile reading but he is not just offensive to women...he is an equal opportunity offender! Leaving Luperon, we took Chris Parkers' weather advice and went well offshore and had an EASY 300+ mile non-stop passage through the Mona passage and to the south shore or PR (Ponce is a WONDERFUL town). The boats that followed his book's advice on the SAME DAY and stayed in-shore had a rough passage, were several days behind us and one member here was even hit by lightning in one of the evening thunderstorms that WE MISSED DUE TO BEING OFFSHORE.
The point is not that I am a wonderful source of knowledge on this. VanSant has done it many more times than I have and is still alive so he must have done something right. The point is...don't rely on one source for your decision making. Listen to all the advice and check the conditions and know what you and your boat can do...then make your own decision.