Hunter or Islander 36 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2006 Thread Starter

Question Hunter or Islander 36

Hi folks. I know the sailing community tends to be very opinionated. So here's a request for opinions: Which would be the preferrable boat - an Islander 36 or Hunter 36? Assume a mid-70's Islander and a Cherebuni designed 80's Hunter. And lets just say everything else is equal.
Appreciate your thoughts, especially from those who have owned/sailed both. Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2006

hunter / Islander

I have personally owned both of those fine boats, I loved the Islander's fancy interrior, the oak was real pretty but it sure was nasty looken after water got to it finally had to replace the counter tops. The boat sailed well and I have no negative things to say about it.
The Hunter was a great layout for its size,,the walk in shower was a stroke of good design and the boat sailed very well. We did some club racing with it and cruised the New Orleans area.
If all equal, even though I love the looks of the Islander and I know it books for more and the general public like it better, I would be tempted with the Hunter and its better use of space.
Very Hard decission
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks Allen. Seems they Islander and Hunter 36s are fairly even. Not making my choice any easier...sigh. But then, those are only 2 of many!
post #4 of 6 Old 10-01-2006
the pointy end is the bow

When you look at the list of boats that enter the Baha ha ha each year, you'll see an awful lot of Islander 36's. We had an Islander 28 for awhile. Our particular boat had a lot of gel coat crazing that hurt the resale value. I don't know if that was a problem for other Islanders or not.

Ray
post #5 of 6 Old 10-01-2006

I owned a Cherubin Hunter 37C. It was a great boat. It sailed well and was a solid offshore boat.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-02-2006
Telstar 28

Surfesq-

I think you mean a Cherubini Hunter 37C...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.