Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006

piscator is on a distinguished road
"Ya' Can't Lose" sailboat purchase

What would you consider to be a "can't lose" sailboat purchase?

I'm curious about what folks might consider a "kick-ass, can't lose" choice for a sailboat; without regard for any specific criteria. The question is not necessarily the same as "What is your favorite boat?"

One example might be -- "What, in your estimation, is the easiest boat to resell?" Many posts recommend beginners buy a "starter" boat before deciding upon the "ultimate" cruiser -- so the criteria might be "a can't lose starter boat is..."

Another example might be "best performing boat"... that is "sailing 'X' is so much fun you 'can't lose' owning one"

Whether daysailing or bluewater cruisng there must be some designs that are clear winners, whether on the basis of resale, comfort, performance, craftsmanship, or 'whatever'.

So, how about a list of "best of the best" based on ANY criteria you think is significant. Such a listing could be informative and would certainly be interesting!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
There's more to a boat than performance, resale value, etc.. While there are many objective areas in boat choice, in the end, I think it's the subjective one's that make the sale. Is it pleasing to the eye? Do you feel comfortable on it, and below? Things you can't know till you actually see the boat in person. And, for each person, these will be different.

Most people sail the boat they can afford.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally, if you're looking at a sailboat purchase as something that you won't lose money on...you're fantasizing...

The better built, higher-end designs tend to hold their value better than the lower-end models. Builds by good designers tend to hold their value better than poorly designed boats. Used boats hold their value better than new boats.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-04-2006

TAK is on a distinguished road
If you do not factor in upkeep and inflation AND you get a boat for a 1/3 the true value and only hold it a year or two.. THEN, you might have a "cant lose"..

Several boats today sell today for the same or more than the amount of what they sold for 10-15-20 years ago but when factor in upkeep and inflation even they lose..
Old 10-04-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Even "free" boats will cost you in the end. But that's not the point anyway. No boat should be considered an investment for growth. An investment in a lifestyle, adventure, travelling for sure - who expects returns on buying tickets to a cruise?

PBeezer is right on - when shopping you can step onto dozens of boats that are "alright", then 2 minutes on "The boat" and you're a goner. Gas or Diesel, iron or lead, sometimes everything else is so right it doesn't matter.
Old 10-04-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Popular boats vary by area. A $20k will sell faster than a $200k boat. A clean well kept boat will sell faster than a dog. A quick sale is important when it costs you hundreds every month just to keep a boat. "Can't lose" doesn't exist, stable value with a reasonable expectation of quick sale is possible. But you will have to do your homework.
Old 10-04-2006

Sonofasonofasailor is on a distinguished road
Can you say generic, I'm so smart just listen to me blab?

The post is asking for an OPINION of a FAVORITE boat for a particular USE. Not necessarily your favorite OVERALL boat. I realize "can't lose" may have been misleading but man how many times can you post the same answer to a boat buying question? There must be hundreds of threads in the archives of people pontificating about how you have to buy the boat that is right for you and you'll know it when you know it or a sailboat is not an investment but a way of life, blah, blah, blah! Oh and make sure you get a survey - duh!

To the original poster:
I have sailed on 4 different boats this summer - I dont have my own so I don't sail as much as many here do (someday). In the interest of generating the conversation and exchange of opinions that I think you were after, I'll tell you that the Sabre 28 was by far my favorite for daysailing in Massachusetts Bay. I was on the boat 3 times this year and all were spectacular days in light and heavy wind (sometimes both in the same day). I felt the S28 accelerated very well and when you found the "slot" it pretty much tracked itself-we were steering with the sails at times. I could cruise short term on it but not sure the wife could - she might call it camping not cruising. I found it to be an easy boat to sail and I could see someone of greater experience than I easily single-handing the boat. I also sailed a Pearson 35, Catalina 16 and C&C 29 this season.
Old 10-04-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
and here i thought it was just me...

i wondered if anyone was going to get around to answering the question at hand.
not counting dinghies, i have owned a 1969 columbia 26, a 1983 J/24, and my new to me,1990 sabre 30 mkIII. i loved each boat for different reasons, but at this stage in my life it is hard to beat sabre quality and creature comforts. toss in the fact she is pretty quick, and i'd say ya can't lose w/ a sabre. that being said, if your budget allows, pretty hard to beat a hinckley or a swan..(sadly out of my reach at this point..maybe one day).
ok..my $.02, adjusted for inflation.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 10-04-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Thank you Sam! I was just reading this thread pulling my hair out. But here is a Sailnet Shocker: The same goofball guys did not answer the question again!

Here are a few good examples:

Island Packet 29:
Year Recent Sale Price Original Base Price
1991 $84,000 $84,950
1992 $88,500 $89,950

Island Packet 45
Year Recent Sale Price Original Base Price Notes
1996 $297,500 $264,950

Of course, any Hinckley that is more than 10 years old is most selling for close to or near its original price, if not more.
Old 10-04-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
surf,
in my very limited time here, i've come to understand more than a few guys here say the same thing again and again..(i guess it is that "expert" mentality)..you know the ones.."don't buy a bennehuntalina".."this boat is far superior to that one," and "imho"..(which i doubt is ever humble), but i digress.
my other toy is a Harley..and as a friend once said, "ride what you like and like what you ride." i think the same applies to boats.
so few boats are anything more than a toy for big girls and boys, and as the acronym for boat is; 'break out another thousand. as such, for the most part, boats that hold their "value" are few and far between. if you are constanly looking for justification, and worried about resale, how can you ever enjoy the boat you have and all the associated joy that comes from a day or three (or more) spent sailing? if investments are what you are after..stick w/ the stock market. if stealing away a few hours on the water to make yourself smile is a worthwhile investment..then go for it. as someone said on another thread recently, far better to spend your money on a boat and not pay the Drs and shrinks. i say this is good advice.
as far as hinckleys..i saw a beautiful 59' one recently..a mere $975k..a thing of beauty...aaahhh if only my "fun fund" was a little larger...

my $.02 as always..adjusted for inflation

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII