Looking for a good "last boat" - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Looking for a good "last boat"

My wife and I are looking for a good “last boat.” I know that some people say that there is no such thing as a “last boat,” there is only a series of “next boats,” but in this case I am referring to the kind of boat that is suited to advancing years and declining physical capability, a small, simple, sweet sailboat that would allow a couple retiring from live-aboard cruising to be able to get out on the water and enjoy the feel of the wind on our faces, the tug of the tiller on our hands, and the heave of the sea under our feet.

We have been looking around for a while, but haven’t found very many boats that meet our criteria. We would like the input of the community to suggest boats that we may have missed in our search and that meet all of the five criteria below.

1. COST. The boat must be readily available in good seaworthy condition for less than $10,000, including boat, sails, and trailer.

2. AESTHETICS. We like classic lines like the early work of Carl Alberg, Nat Herreshoff, and Carl Schumacher. We like well-proportioned overhangs, a spoon bow, and a spring to the sheer. Some examples are boats by Cape Dory, Cape Cod Shipbuilding, and the Alerion Express series. The unbeautiful boats of the modern high-volume sailboat builders do nothing for our sense of aesthetics. We also do not like reverse sheer, so the Pearson Ensign/Electra (which are also Alberg designs and would otherwise be possible choices) don’t make the cut either.

3. ACCOMMODATIONS. The boat will be used mostly for daysailing, but will occasionally be used for overnighting or weekending for two people, one of whom is 6’1”. Full-length berths and sitting headroom below are necessary. We’re not interested in boom-tent camping, so real berths for two people in an enclosed cabin are necessary, as is a head or portable toilet.

4. SAILABILITY. The boat should be a joy to sail: she need not be fast, but she should be well-mannered. She should have an easy helm, good motion in a chop, be dry when the wind is up, and be able to be sailed by sitting IN the cockpit rather than on the side decks. One person should be able to sail the boat easily without resorting to winches or even a lot of muscle power.

5. TRAILERABILITY. Total towing weight, including boat, trailer, equipment, and a weekend’s worth of gear and provisions must be less than 4,500 lbs. Realistically this means a displacement less than roughly 3,200 lbs. Beam needs to be 8.5 feet or less. We want to tow with a midsize SUV/Crossover with a 5,000 lb towing capacity; we don’t want to drive a huge SUV or truck just to tow the boat.

From web searches we have found a few boats that we want to look at and that seem, at least on paper, to meet our criteria. They are the Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender, the Cape Dory Typhoon Sr. (and the CD 22 based on the same hull), and the C.E. Ryder Sea Sprite 23.

Can anyone recommend any other boats that meet all of the five criteria?

Can anyone tell us of your personal experience with these boats that suggest whether they would or would not be suitable for our purpose?

Thanks!

Smooth sailing!

Jim
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Looking for a good "last boat"

12 1/2
First boat I owned was a typhoon. Be my choice.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
jim2ksb (3 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Catboat Kid

You may also want to take a look at a Bristol Corinthian, which is very similar to a Typhoon. I owned one at one point and it was a sweet little boat.

Not sure how you feel about catboats, but a Marshall Sanderling is a real beauty and surprisingly quick for her size (18') with a large SA and long LWL.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #4 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll add the Corinthian! You're right, it is quite similar to a typhoon. Catboats have a lot to offer in terms of accommodation for a given size, but I don't find them as pretty as boats with overhangs.
post #5 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Bayfield 25? Bowsprit and 'cute' factor, missing only the stern overhang. Probably best headroom of any 25 footer exc Buccaneers, liveable space below, shallow enough to be trailerable. Right at the limit of your Disp numbers...

BAYFIELD 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Good suggestion, though it may be too heavy at 3,500 lbs. A trailer is probably 1,000 lbs, so that doesn't leave any margin for gear.
post #7 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2ksb View Post
Good suggestion, though it may be too heavy at 3,500 lbs. A trailer is probably 1,000 lbs, so that doesn't leave any margin for gear.
I'd think an aluminum trailer would come in at less than that, but might blow the budget. As I'm sure you recognize, your budget is a very limiting factor ($10K and Aileron in the same sentence is something of a mismatch )

btw a Viking 22 or maybe a Bluenose 24 would fit your aesthetics, but likely wanting below.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=124

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=40

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #8 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Tartan 27' owner

I believe that the Typhoons are better sailors than the Bayfield 25.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I believe that the Typhoons are better sailors than the Bayfield 25.
I'm sure that's true...

Ron

post #10 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'd think an aluminum trailer would come in at less than that, but might blow the budget. As I'm sure you recognize, your budget is a very limiting factor ($10K and Aileron in the same sentence is something of a mismatch )

btw a Viking 22 or maybe a Bluenose 24 would fit your aesthetics, but likely wanting below.

VIKING 22 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

BLUENOSE sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Thanks! Viking 22 is a good suggestion! The bow isn't very "spoony" but she still has sweet lines, and a more modern underbody to boot.

The Bluenose doesn't appear to have any interior, at least not according to the photos on Yachtworld (Bluenose boats for sale - YachtWorld), though the line drawing on Sailboatdata does show a cuddy cabin missing from the Yachtworld boats. Still, the freeboard is so low that I can't imagine there much of an interior even with the cuddy.

Yes, I know the budget is very limiting. I don't expect to get an Alerion Express for $10K, I was just using that boat as an example of the kind of aesthetics I like.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.