Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Passport Yachts

Anyone have an opinion on Passports? I'm in the process of buying a 1984 Passport 40 and we're looking at a Passport 515CC in a couple of years. I spoke with the President of Passport at Annapolis and I was very impressed with his interest in our purchase (vs. the many other sellers that shrugged us off as we walked through) and the apparent quality. The Passport 40 we're buying got excellent marks on its survey (you can see some pics at http://labatt.dandd.com/v/non-art/passport40). Are there any gotchas I should be concerned about? Any positives or negatives regarding Passport?

Some have already been asked and answered (decks need refinish - already got price, new sails in '03, new Yanmar diesel in '04, new bottom paint '05, new topsides pain '05, new instruments '03, new batteries '06)

Last edited by labatt; 10-15-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Labatt - your link didn't work for me... We spent some time with friends with a Passport 40 this summer - they had no complaints as yet, have owned the boat for just under a year. She seemed very comfortable and spacious, and kept pace with our 35' racer/cruiser in most breezes, but fell back downwind. It has a terrific cockpit for entertaining, we had 12 there and everyone had a seat. It did not appear to back up very well, but that may have been due to their relative newness with boating. (It is their first boat).
Old 10-15-2006
I'd rather be sailing

The link should work now. It had a ")" in it. This one has a Gori three blade prop as opposed to the original so it's supposed to be a bit better, but unless you have saildrive you're probably going to do pretty badly backing up without years of practice We're going from a Precision 23 with an outboard to this beast... should be interesting! I hope we get a slip on the outside of the last dock at our marina for our first year! Practice practice practice they say.
Old 10-16-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...great boats for cuising. The 40 is a well respected passagemaker and the Perry designed Royal Passports were really incredible, top of the line boats. Have not yet seen the new Vista line but assume the tradition will continue...at those prices you should be getting a world class vessel down the road.
Old 10-16-2006

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
Looks great, The one thing that prospective buyers should look for is deck space alongside the shrouds. You should be able to access the foredeck easily. This boat looks like it has that in spades.
Old 10-16-2006

TAK is on a distinguished road
If your boat is Pelican in Annapolis, I contemplated making an offer on it before I ended up buying a 94 Caliber 40. Its a nice boat! Good Luck w/ it..
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 10-16-2006
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK
If your boat is Pelican in Annapolis, I contemplated making an offer on it before I ended up buying a 94 Caliber 40. Its a nice boat! Good Luck w/ it..
LOL! That's the one! The buyer was "motivated" and we got an incredible deal. We're doing a sea trial a week from tomorrow. In the meantime I'm making sure Passport's don't have any hidden secrets (like the decks on older Tayana 37's).
Old 10-16-2006

TAK is on a distinguished road
My broker called the listing broker for Pelican this summer when it was listed at 179k.. and asked how firm the sellers were.. He said then they would not budge.. its great boat but was not worth that IMO .. Week later I found the Caliber.. and closed a month after that. no regrets but I think you got a great boat. - The teak decks need little attention to some of the bungs but over all looks to be in great shape.. Hope you have great success.. w/ it.. I am sure you got a great price..

BTW.. my last boat was a catalina 27, the transition was not as daunting as I thot.. once you get used to writing Big Boat Checks ..
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 10-16-2006
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
The one thing I would be concerned about is the iron keel on the Passport 40This can cause all kinds of structual and stabiltiy problems. You want a lead keel for all kinds of reasons.
Old 10-16-2006
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwaterline
The one thing I would be concerned about is the iron keel on the Passport 40This can cause all kinds of structual and stabiltiy problems. You want a lead keel for all kinds of reasons.
I'll have to see if this one has iron or lead. Apparently, lead ballast was a "popular option" for Passport 40's during this time. Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even realize that iron was standard on this boat!