Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2001

bvanwyk is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Cruiser

My boyfriend and I are looking to purchase a yacht to go blue water crusing in. We hope to spend no more than $100000 and so have been looking at Beneteau36CC''s or Bavarias. Does anyone out there have any experience of either of sailing either of these yachts long distance? or can anyone suggest viable alternatives?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2001

Keyne is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Cruiser

Check out a Hallberg Rassy 35 or 36 (Used). They make great blue water cruisers.
Old 10-16-2001

knome is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Cruiser

One thing I would suggest as well.. if you have a strict $100k budget. Make sure you buy a boat for about $50k. It could cost you another $50k to get out and cruising, given all of the maintenence and etc. that is involved. You may need to upgrade your sail inventory, replace/overhaul the diesel, repaint the bottom/topsides, replace or rework the wood, replace the stove, etc.. Make SURE you know what is necessary before you buy. Marine outfitting can cost a bundle.

At the very least, don''t go any higher than $75k, as $25k is a small safety margin on a used boat purchase.

And make sure you hire an independant surveyor who has no affiliation to the broker before you buy.

Old 10-16-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Blue Water Cruiser

Neither of these are boat that I would normally think of as ''blue water'' boats. They are both high production models with trade-offs aimed at a price conscious market.

There are Beneteau models that I would be comfortable taking offshore but the 36CC is not one of those models. This is a model that appears to be aimed at coastal cruising rather than offshore voyaging under sail. The first clue comes if you look at the layout of the 36 CC. There is not a single real seaberth on board. They come standard with a roller furling mainsail which to me is another clue that this is not intended as an offshore boat. (You just about can''t rig a storm trisail on a roller furler mast.)It si very hard to do a proper offshore yacht with a center cockpit in a length shorter 40 feet.

I was very curious about the Bavarias myself. The Bavarias had gotten a lot of ink. As a result I spent a fair amount of time going over a couple different models. I found the Bavarias very disappointing in many ways but was especially disappointed at the build quality (which I expected to be on a scale with Dehler but its wasn''t) and with the detailing and build quality. I see these as pretty much on the par with the big three boats; Beneteau, Hunter, or Catalina and maybe a smidge below.

I agree with the earlier suggestion that you set aside approximately 20-30% of your boat buying budget for repairs, upgrades and fitting out of a boat that you intend to take offshore. There are plenty of good boats out there within your budget.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 10-17-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Cruiser

Jeff, can you suggest boats in the 38-40ft range, 1980 or newer, under $80K that would be suitable for cruising and bluewater "capable"? I am not seeing many at all. Do you see any listed on YW now in our region?

Regards,
John
Old 10-17-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Blue Water Cruiser

Well I guess the answer depends on what you consider a boat suitable for cruising and bluewater "capable". (I know we have exchanged email but I am drawing a blank at the moment so I am assuming that you are on the Chesapeake.) There does not seem to be as many boats out there as there was last year at this time, but what is out there represents a pretty wide range of choices. Here are some of the boats that I saw on YW:

Farr 38asking $49,000)
At the performance end of your posibilities is a sistership of the Farr 38 (Farr 11.6) that I just bought. This boat is in Annapolis and neat boat with a lot of gear BUT this particular one is a crudely finished and would need some work to bring her up to yacht condition. She just cruised in this summer from South Africa on her own bottom with the Owner doing the leg from Cape Town to the Vigin Islands single handed. He averaged 175 miles a day for the fist 10 days and 150 mile days for the whole trip including the Duldrums. She''s a bit of a project but essentially a good boat.

C&C 40 (In Connecticutt $79,900)
A little down in speed and ease of sailing from the Farr but a nice solid boat capable of good performance. Beautiful boats to look at and nice boats to sail. Some had a very yacht like interior while others were stripped out racers.

C&C Landfall 38 ($77,900)
These were good all around boats. They probably are not as fast, sturdy or attractive as the C&C 40 but OK boats.

Cheoy Lee Pedrick 40 (79,500)
I am not sure what to say on this one. They are held in pretty high regards. I don''t like the teak decks and I am not a big fan of Pedrick''s work during this period.

Morgan Brewer 38 (382) ($40,000 -$55000)
These are certainly venerable boats. They sail reasonably well and good looking boats but are not good in light air. They are safe bets in the cruising department.

If you want to get extreme in the serious no-hold-barred cruising boat department, there is a green Steel Hulled Colvin Schooner at Jabin''s Eastport Yard (second street) that looks to be a go anywhere boat.

Also at that end of the scale is a 39 foot Colin Archer Ketch for $79,900

At the risk of starting a food fight, I would also include the Cheribini designed Hunter 37 (1981-1985)($38,000 to $48000). These are really pretty good boats. I would put them on a par with the Morgan 38''s but they are way cheaper.

Just a couple suggestions.
Good luck
Jeff
Old 10-17-2001

Blue Water Cruiser

Hi Jeff, thanks for the suggestions, they are all good ones. Will have to check out the Colvin online. And, great to hear from you. We have chatted about the Morgan 382, which I have thought about in the past.

Your choices were on my long list, but I am discounting the C&C''s because they are balsa cored. I may revisit this, because they are such good boats. I think the 40 has too deep a draft though. I still like the Morgan, but have just not been too impressed with the cabin joinery.

I was thinking the Cheoy Lee Pedrick and am looking at it on Friday. I was wondering if you were going to include the O''Day 40 (very comfy but coastal only? and cored as well) or an Endeavour 40 (slow but nice below, heavy and perhaps stable?).

And... the Jeanneau 40. Not bad all around. Some people like them, others put them with Hunters. (I know there is another thread on Jeanneau''s here).

???
Old 10-18-2001

Blue Water Cruiser

There are 2 Oday 40''s. One is an aft cabin sloop and the other is a sistership (of sorts) of the Jeaneau 40. I have not been a big fan of either of the O''Day 40''s. The aft cabin design is a simple boat that had a lot of popularity. I have never sailed on one but have seen them under sail and never been impressed with their sailing ability. My recollection of the interior were a little plastic-y.

The aft cockpit Oday 40 is a issue with me. They were a reasonable attempt at a performance cruiser. They had a nice workable layout and seemed to be reasonablly well thought out. That said their hull and rig design were heavily negatively influenced by the IOR rule and as such reduced their appeal to me. They are very similar boats to the Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40 which used the same hull tooling.

Jeanneaus are hard boats to classify. They always seem to not as well constucted as Beneteaus (or Hunters and Catalinas for that matter) My exposure to these boast have been less than positive. Yet, that said Jeanneaus seem to have a strong following and I know that people have done a lot of distance cruising in these boats.

My Mother had a brand new Endeavor 40. She basically liked the boat as a live-aboard and island cruiser. During the time that they owned the boat there were a fairly large amount of what I would classify as build quality issues. I thought that the deck hardware was undersized and poorly laid out. They sail reasonably well in winds over 12 knots and less than 20 kts. I thought they had a really uncomfortable motion. Still these were a lot of boat for the money. If I remember right they were designed by the same Johnson that went on to design the Island Packets.

Good hunting.
Jeff
Old 10-18-2001

knome is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Cruiser

Well, I took a quick look at Yachtworld''s (http://www.yachtworld.com) used sail section, with just ''sail'' and ''80,000'' dollars as the top limit, there were 6782 records. Oof.

In just a glance over these entries, though, I saw a few promising items..a steel cutter.. a benetteau(sic)... etc. The 40-45 foot range boats look in good shape. Big price ranges too.

It may be too many choices, but you could start there.

Old 10-19-2001

Blue Water Cruiser

JH - you were right about the O''Day and I do think the Endeavour 40 is far too sluggish.

The Cheoy Lee was interesting, nicely built and nicely laid out. The gelcoat looked like it was worn out and cracking though ... the owner had simply painted over much of it. The owner also just dabbed some 5200 on the tops of some screws on the toerail, probably in an effort to stop a leak. Not good. And the teak decks... nice ...but .... you just know you will have to write a big check some day.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Will have to see the Jeanneau 40 and C&C 38L and see if they grab me. Mostly likely not though.

Have you seen an Albin Nimbus 42? Nice lines.

BTW, if you are wandering around Annap tonight, there is a terrific Union 36 tied up in Ego Alley. It has just come out of a yard where she was ''gripped and had the deck done (using the original teak). Gorgeous. Had a nice chat with the owner.

Regards,