Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006

newtoschool is on a distinguished road
Hunter Vision 32/36 offshore?

I am investigating the potential purchase of the Hunter Vision 32 or 36. First attracted to the value (late models from 50-70K), and then due to the liveability of what appears to be a pretty innovative design.

Next August my girlfriend and I will depart for extended cruising with offshore destinations in mind (ie, Pacific Northwest - Hawaii and beyond). I have some questions for those of you that may have some experience with the Hunter product:

- Is the Hunter Vision suitable for offshore work?
- Are there any specific safety ratings or standards that we can review to ensure that it is/is not?

I am well aware that there are many other sv's out there that are virtually bomb proof, but we are not interested in refitting an old tub, and would just like to know if this boat which seems to meet the rest of our criteria (short of the lack of storage space) will take us across an ocean or two.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
This thread does not necessarily focus on bluewater capability but covers various points of view on Hunters in general:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...ut-hunter.html
Old 10-18-2006

Headingsouth is on a distinguished road
One of the ratings system you may be looking for is the "CE" Certification, with 'A' being for Offshore capability, the highest for recreational boats. The Hunter 32 and 36 are 'A' rated, I believe, but as you research you will find that these are not the most capable offshore boats out there. I've sailed older hunters, with not much enthusiasm. Very livable, but not much else. Weekends on the lake -definitely, Hawaii and beyond - questionable. There are many other ratios such as displacement to length, length to beam and ballast ration that others on this site could certainly quickly quote, which will give you much more information as to your choice than a single rating. I'm sure there will be some Hunter afficionados here that will have done what you want to do, but that doesn't make it in your best interest to do so.Good Luck.
Old 10-18-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoschool
I am investigating the potential purchase of the Hunter Vision 32 or 36. First attracted to the value (late models from 50-70K), and then due to the liveability of what appears to be a pretty innovative design.

I am well aware that there are many other sv's out there that are virtually bomb proof, but we are not interested in refitting an old tub, and would just like to know if this boat which seems to meet the rest of our criteria (short of the lack of storage space) will take us across an ocean or two.

Thoughts?
The value you see in these models appears to be that they are relatively inexpensive dockiminiums. That they are, and if you use one as such, it may serve you well. If you want to take your boat offshore you need to develop a different list of criteria for that use, and you might reconsider the suitability of the Vision. I wouldn't consider them to be in the ballpark.
Old 10-18-2006

newtoschool is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the quick replies!

I've read that link, and every other scrap of information I could find. If there's one thing I have learned, it's that any defence I foolishly mounted on behalf of one of the 3 lines of production boats could easily be crushed by members of this board that have more knowledge in their pinky than I have been able to gather over months of visiting dock, brokers, marina bars etc. So I won't! That said, if there are those of you out there that have used one of these boats for a circumnav, or other offshore work of significance, I would love to hear from you!

Sailing fool, if "relatively inexpensive dockiminiums" are on one side of the scale, then it would seem that "dark overpriced clausterphobic caves" are on the other...

Is there a happy medium, production or other?? A bright comfortable boat that will cross oceans safely and not have me saving so long that I never leave my "condo"-minium (50G range).

This is a tough scene to crack. I'm unwaveringly convinced that the payoff will be worth every second, but sadly I am no closer to matching the boat to our dream today than I was when we decided to sell up and get out there.

ps - thanks for the cert info headingsouth, thats what I was after.
Old 10-18-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
the payoff will be worthit...
that being said... you CAN drive across country in a fiat, but why would you?
Its been said here(and on other forums) many times that the boats you have asked about are "capable....but....". The question remains however, do YOU want to try it?. take the opinions for what they'tre worth, judge for yourself, no one can make the final determination but you.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 10-18-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Another reason those models are available at "bargain" prices could be that their "innovate" ideas simply didn't catch on in the marketplace. The massive freestanding mast alone will give some people pause as to its effect on the boat's motion and stability.

Check into some bluewater forums, or talk to those who have been there done that, I reckon over 95% of successful offshore cruising boats are not unstayed rigs. (Tree trunk rigged Sprays and junks notwithstanding)

One other thought: especially in a seaway, standing rigging provides some pretty handy grab spots and some security when moving around on deck. It's strange to me to walk on the deck of a boat with an unstayed rig and not have a shroud to grab onto along the way.
Old 10-18-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoschool
Thanks for the quick replies!

...... So I won't! That said, if there are those of you out there that have used one of these boats for a circumnav, or other offshore work of significance, I would love to hear from you!

Sailing fool, if "relatively inexpensive dockiminiums" are on one side of the scale, then it would seem that "dark overpriced clausterphobic caves" are on the other...

Is there a happy medium, production or other?? A bright comfortable boat that will cross oceans safely and not have me saving so long that I never leave my "condo"-minium (50G range).
Hmmm, since you ask, here's an example that, while not really a dockaminium, is also not dark, over-priced or particularily tight down below. You'll have to talk to the prior owner for testimonials regarding her two trips from New England to latin america, or read his just completed book:

http://www.sailboatowners.com/classi...d&dr=de&ad=all
Old 10-18-2006

jimrunsalot is on a distinguished road
I Want to Buy a Flying Scot

I am looking at a 1973 Flying Scot. The hull has been refinished last year. It looks great. Should I be concerned about buying such an old boat? How can I tell if there is water inside the hull? How can I tell if the hull is "soft". Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Newtoschool...
The boat is totally unsuited for serious bluewater cruising. If you want to do bay/coastal sailing...no problem but if you are looking for offshore adventure you need a different boat or you're looking for a different kind of adventure. Let me make a suggestion before you invest a lot of money.
Buy an offshore passage or offer to crew with someone. See what it is like and then if you still want that Vision...you'll at least be making the decision with some real bluewater under your belt.