First Boat opinions? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-08-2016 Thread Starter

First Boat opinions?

Hi All, My wife and I have recently completed a basic keelboat sailing course and am looking at purchasing our first boat. The current two options available in this area that have caught my eye are a 1980 Catalina 22' swing keel and a 63 Pearson Ensign 23'. Both supposedly in good condition. Would one make a better first boat to learn on? I currently need to be able to trailer my boat so 22 to 23 feet is probably the largest I can go for now. The Pearson doesn't have a trailer so I would have to purchase one and that would probably make it considerably more than the Catalina that already has a trailer.

Any input is welcome, if you have any other suggestions for a first boat in the 3 to 6K range feel free to recommend. I'm going to try and take a look at the two mentioned above later this week.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-08-2016

Re: First Boat opinions?

Cat 22 better sailing boat, more space below, weights less, easier to trailer and launch. parts are available, easier resale. a trailer for the ensign will cost as much or more then the boat

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 15 Old 02-09-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

I like the ensign, but the c22 is the smarter way to go, especially due to lack of trailer.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

post #4 of 15 Old 02-09-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Catalina also has very active owners associations for all sizes that are very helpful for repair advice, encouragement, etc.

catalina22.org

Catalina 22 | SailboatOwners.com Forums

https://www.catalinadirect.com/forums/fr_forums.cfm

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-09-2016

Both great first boats, our first was a Pearson 22. IMHO, if you are trailering, the swing keel might be a real asset. I've only trailered power boats, but reducing draft on some boat ramps might get you in the water with greater ease.

Good luck with your plans. This won't be your last boat, but it might just be the one you have the most fun on!
sharkbait likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-09-2016
Over-caffeinated

The Ensign would be far more forgiving a boat to sail when the wind comes up, and with a more comfortable motion. The C-22 would be much faster in light air, but a handful once the wind gets above 15-18 kts. The Ensign will sail like a much bigger boat, while the C-22 (particularly one with a swing keel) will sail like a dinghy.

Neither boat has fantastic accommodations down below. The Ensign is really a daysailer with a cuddy for napping or overnight "camping" (w/o a private head). Cooking would have to be done in the cockpit or with a tiny camp-style stove or some sort of "Sea-swing-type-thingy". A better choice for overnight accommodations would be the Pearson Electra (same hull as the Ensign, but with more of a cabin). The C-22 has more of a "real" cabin (well, as real as a 22-footer can have), with a small galley and a semi-private head.

However, as a daysailer the relatively huge cockpit of the Ensign makes it much more enjoyable for actually sailing (the cockpit seats are more than large enough for even the tallest people to stretch out and take a nap).

Personally, I would rather have the Ensign.

I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination.
- Hunter S. Thompson

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Newman

One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people donít go into government.
- Donald Drumpf (trying hard to live up to that statement)

Last edited by PitApe; 02-09-2016 at 02:26 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-09-2016
4KSB driver.

Catalina 22 to learn on for sure... plus getting parts for it are easy, support is great, and lots of places to find go-fast tips and tricks.

I dunno I agree with the boat being a handful above 15-18, if you are solo perhaps.. but you'd be reefed and down and to the number 3 at that point for sure. I've seen a fellow club member out in his C22 in above 25 knts sustained - I can verify it because I was out there with him

Heck I've got video of myself in 30 knts sustained on our local puddle... and I think he raced that day too in his C22.

I guess what I am saying is it may not be a full keel mono-slug, but the C22 is still a pretty tough little trailerable. Thousands have learned on, and even moved-up to the C22 (some even moved DOWN to the C22).

If your only choices are those 2 boats, my money is on the Catalina.

Of course, if you read through my older posts, you'll find I still recommend the Capri 22 over the Catalina 22, as a better all-around design, and better sailing boat, but equal or lesser money, and the bonus is, it's still in production (whereas the C22 has morphed into the Catalina 22 Sport, which is a portlier, slower sibling to the Capri 22).

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-09-2016
Lake Sailor

The Catalina 22 is not the only boat in this size group..... Yes there are a bazillion of them but, look at the sailing characteristics, build, and interior layout of a Beneteau First 235. Just giving you options.
SHNOOL likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

post #9 of 15 Old 02-09-2016
Not Finished Yet

Where will you be sailing? How do you like to sail? Light wind? Heavy wind? Racing? Overnighting on the boat? Just the two of you? Frequent guests? Cannot really give good advice without knowing how you want to use the boat.

Lake Worth has a Catalina 22 fleet. If you are interested in social club sailing and or casual racing, and willing to pay the membership fees, that would be a strong reason to get the Catalina 22.

Like PitApe I would rather have the Ensign, but that is because I would prefer the bigger cockpit and love to sail in heavy weather. Plus I think they are pretty.

post #10 of 15 Old 02-09-2016

Either boat would be a good first boat. Cat 22 would be my choice. I'm not familiar with lakes in your area but I would highly recommend that you dry sail your boat if at all possible. That means you keep the boat on its trailer, rigged and ready to go. Otherwise pulling a boat to a lake, rigging etc. will take more time than you think, especially at the end of the day when you are hot and tired. Will put a damper on your day. Hope you find the right boat and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.