Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
stuck!

I am about to pull the trigger on a Beneteau 331 for 70-75k. It is in immaculate condition. The guy kept track of every little thing he did to it, it looks brand new. It does not, however, have much extra to it. No windlass, autopilot, gps, chartplotter, spinnaker setup, extra sails, bimini or dodger. Very basic. Engine hours at 385. The problem is that its at the very top of my price range, and may be a struggle. On the other hand, there are two other boats that are affordable(no upgrades either). An older(1990), and much less roomy, Beneteau 32s5 asking 53k (kind of high), and a '01 Hunter 320 asking 54k. Its hard to stretch the budget, but the Beneteau 331 is obviously the better overall boat in how it sails(vs Hunter) and the livability. The other two boats I would be able to upgrade and get all the things I would like to have. I wonder if we buy the other Beneteau or the Hunter that we would regret not getting the 331 at what seems to be a really good price.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2006
M2 - 33.5 Hunter

jgaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to jgaddis
IMHO, buy the boat you like.
Old 10-20-2006
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Unfortunately, I have that disease that makes you like the more expensive thing more...
Old 10-20-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
I hate to say it lost boy but I'll offer you the same advice I would take myself. Buy the boat you can afford. That means purchase price plus upgrades you want or need. You list 7 items missing from the boat that you obviously consider important. If you can wait for those items, buy the boat and have the pleasure of choosing them and installing them over time. If you need the extras now...you know the answer.

On the other hand, you've seen it, you want it, is there really any question what you are going to do?
Old 10-20-2006
Hitchin' a ride

The only things I really want are the dodger/bimini, the rest can wait and is not necessary. I think I stated those things in the wrong way, I was trying to give an idea of what the boat was like.
Old 10-21-2006

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Not Stuck

EBLB:
No, that's when you run around with the tide going down too...........
Listen to that little voice...............especially when sailing.
I sailed on an older B31 & jumped off the boat & ran home after one afternoon on the bay......never again. Have not been on the newer ones though.

Don't feel any pressure ie; best deal ever? nah.................there are so many used boats for sail especially in CA.

Just did a Yachtworld search for '95-05, 50-70K, 30-35' in CA. Looks like it's Hunters,Beneteau & Catalina 320 = did you consider them?
Have You sailed all three of these boats in summer conditions here on the Bay?
Being Boat poor (like house poor) can be a painful experience.......no room for the unexpected. Don't forget to calculate all your ongoing expenses ie; Insurance + slip.
Good Luck & hang in there........

Last edited by Chuteman; 10-21-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2006
Hitchin' a ride

Thanks Chuteman, can always count on you for sane advice...
What was your experience on the B31? A couple of B32s5 owners have raved about the great fit of their boat to our conditions in the Bay.

Last edited by bestfriend; 10-21-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
I'm a newbie too, but can offer this: If it feels right, then go for it and learn from there. What's important is getting out on the water.
Old 10-21-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Boat budget

Two things come to mind.
1. Mortgage companies don't like high credit card limits on applicants credit applications. It doesn't tell them, "he's been good with his money". They figure, he's going to furnish the house with his credit card. Another way of saying, we buy what we want-not what we need.
2. I always have to tell myself, in any big purchase, that this isn't the only one like it out there. There are other "immaculate" boats and, in my experience, always cheaper than the deal I just closed yesterday.
Sorry to rain on you, I just think you should own the boat and not vice-versa.