Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Easier to start an IRS-approved religious organization, and exempt the boat as the "temple". If you see a robed monk on the helm, you know that'll be me, seeking converts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2006

staceyneil is on a distinguished road
Boat registration

Two thoughts.

One is that, when we were cruising in Venezuela we came upon many, many boats with flags from (I think) Austria? Holland? (I will check on this).... but the owners would end up being French, English, Canadian, whatever. When asked, they said that it was far easier and cheaper to register in that country (Austria or whatever it was) than in their own country. So if you're taking a trip down to VZ to work on the boat or something, maybe walk around the docks in PLC or wherever and ask the foreign-flagged boats about it. If you're out cruising the world and not living/working in USA, and not bringing the boat into US waters (for any length of time) then do you legally have to pay the sales tax? I have no idea but it seems reasonable not to until you actually bring the boat back to the States...someone else probably knows the actual law on this: anyone?

Second thought is that, if you're going to stay with US flag, definitely DO get a USCG documentation, NOT a state registration. Foreign officials often REQUIRE USCG doc when checking in. US State Reg may work in Mexico but not in less-visited, further locales. Of course, you don't need to fly the ensign or paint "USA" on the transom if that's bothering you. Technically you're supposed to have your hailing port and state in 4"+ letters but I don't think this is enforced.

Stacey
Old 10-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
hellosailor-

shall we call you L. Ron as well??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-22-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Stacey-
"If you're out cruising the world and not living/working in USA, and not bringing the boat into US waters (for any length of time) then do you legally have to pay the sales tax? " In many states, you only pay "sales tax" on a sale made in your home state. You pay "use tax" for a sale made anyplace else--but typically only if you bring that vessel into your home state.
The only real safe answer is "check your state's laws".

Sailingdog-
Well...if it makes you happy. We can skip the esoteric bit about space villains and volcanoes though, as long as you remember to bring libations. If there are 6000 spoken languages on this planet (that's about the number now) surely there must be that many forgotten Gods. Surely, there's a need for a religious order to honor their memories?
Hmmm...that would mean assigning every waking hour of each day to one different God, in order to simply honor each one of them once per year. I think I'm gonna need help!
Old 10-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... A lot of people would have missed the reference... I have a weather goddess in my personal pantheon. She has a very limited number of worshippers at the moment...but that too may change.

Probably more than 6000 forgotten gods, given that many cultures were pantheistic and there are also a fair number of extinct languages and cultures to choose from.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-24-2011

Tabris is on a distinguished road
Canada is full of free loading Tax evading American Yachts leaving no room for Canadians and inflating the price of moorage . With any luck this will soon change and they will either pay taxes here and contribute or go home
Old 02-24-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Yes, it is good to be Canadian. Bluebook registered and no taxes on the boat whatsoever.
Old 02-24-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I have met several US citizens who have chosen to register their boats in St Vincent. I did not inquire too deeply as to their reasons but I think it does allow them to avoid US state sales tax and use taxes.

Here is a link CLICKY

n.b. St Vincent is a small island in the Caribbean but it is 20th on the list of flagged vessels worldwide.