Narrowing down the selection. Merit 25 VS Ranger R23 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-03-2016 Thread Starter

Narrowing down the selection. Merit 25 VS Ranger R23

Hello all, Clayton here. I am %100 new to sailing and I am considering purchase of my first boat to learn on and spend a few nights a week aboard.
Well after tons of reading and viewing some boats in my local area
(Grampian 28, Pearson 26, Dolphin 24, Merit 25, and lastly a Ranger 23)
I have now narrowed down my choices to a 1983 Merit 25 and a 1975 Ranger R23 (short mast)

The thing is.. I fell in love with the Ranger 23 Immediately!!!
I am trying to avoid being impulsive and making a regretful buy.
the owner of the r23 has agreed to sail it with me across the bay to more affordable boat yard have it hauled and pressure washed. if i can determine the condition of the hull below the water to be free of any significant moisture, water intrusion or blistering I have agreed to pay for haul out and cleaning as well as purchase of the boat if not the owner wished to keep it for another year or two.
she will obviously need a full bottom job. the spars on the mast need repainting at minimum if not a full replacement as they are original and made of wood. aluminum mast could use a repainting. all chainplate backing is good but is of marine grade ply wood and i think i would like to change them to oak or solid hard wood.

The Merit 25 on the other hand is a boat with gorgeous lines that is still regularly raced today!! its a tad cheaper but demands a bit more elbow grease above and below deck, a good power washing and some time with a dehumidifier running. The owner is not so attached to the boat and lives 8 hours away so i feel he is ready to sell and therefore WAY more flexible on the price. problem here is getting the boat out of the water as I have noone to help me in this case.

a marine survey was not out of the question but i would still have to at bare minimum have either boat hauled cleaned inside and out before a surveyor would come and I THINK long before i called them that if i would know if i indeed want the boat.

i have read of cases of both boats developing a wobbly keel.
in both cases the bilges are clean and no corrosion of the bolts. I have not checked the torque on either.

My requirements are minimal aside from a stable, sound vessel both are cozy enough on the inside for me.

I am currently very partial to the Ranger but my mean streak loves the sleek lines of the Merit. I need some serious input of the plus and minuses you have experienced from the boats in question. maybe someone has sailed both who can chime in? I have read reviews of both boats individually and both have a nice crowd of people who stand behind them. I've seen both compared to a j24 but have yet to see either compared side by side.
Hoping to hearing some of yalls personal experience with these two boats.
Until then I will be here browsing post
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-03-2016
Just another Moderator

Re: Narrowing down the selection. Merit 25 VS Ranger R23

The East coast PHRF has the Merit at 171 and the R23 at 240.. while I believe the Ranger is a bit of a PHRF 'sleeper', that's a pretty big spread.

The Merit is a prettier, probably a lot faster boat but the Ranger might be more forgiving and a more sedate for a beginner. Two years from now you may wish you'd bought the more spritely boat, once your get things sorted out - but you can always move up!
CLVTXN likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 23 Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The East coast PHRF has the Merit at 171 and the R23 at 240.. while I believe the Ranger is a bit of a PHRF 'sleeper', that's a pretty big spread.

The Merit is a prettier, probably a lot faster boat but the Ranger might be more forgiving and a more sedate for a beginner. Two years from now you may wish you'd bought the more spritely boat, once your get things sorted out - but you can always move up!
I've read, that on a good day with a clean bottom, the ranger can easily out preform it's PHRF rating. That still is quite a large difference.
What I need is a good chance to inspect it another time and really do a comparison of the two. Budget dictates I get the merit I just need to develop a little more piece of mind in the boat or move on.
The ranger is cozy(cozier) down below deck. While the top side of the Merit is quite sexy where the ranger is a bit.. Meh.
Any ways thanks for the input and quick response !

post #4 of 23 Old 03-04-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

What are you planning to use the boat for?
Leisurely cruising? Racing? A little of both? Will a spouse or partner be sailing with you?

These data points should drive your decision. Although...in boats this small, the data points have less influence than they might have, in a larger boat. There's only so much cruising comfort you can jam into 23 or 25 feet.

The Merit is essentially an empty eggshell inside. You can add some small comforts to it.
It is light, and easily driven. It can easily achieve the speed of boats 5 feet longer. You might appreciate the turn of speed the boat offers, when trying to reach a destination.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #5 of 23 Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
What are you planning to use the boat for?
Leisurely cruising? Racing? A little of both? Will a spouse or partner be sailing with you?

These data points should drive your decision. Although...in boats this small, the data points have less influence than they might have, in a larger boat. There's only so much cruising comfort you can jam into 23 or 25 feet.

The Merit is essentially an empty eggshell inside. You can add some small comforts to it.
It is light, and easily driven. It can easily achieve the speed of boats 5 feet longer. You might appreciate the turn of speed the boat offers, when trying to reach a destination.
mostly leisure. Maybe some Wednesday night racing after I can get some experience and a few deck hands. And for now just me and my dog.
I plan on staying on the boat a few nights a week as i usually ride a road bike to work and the marina is much closer and nicer riding scenery. I currently don't have a plan on what I want to do besides the obviously and that just being out on the water. Both boats provide nearly an identical set up inside aside from the entrance thru the bulk head to the v birth.
Companion way is also smaller on the merit and I need to make sure my bike fits below deck.
Part of me just wants to say forget the ranger and gut punch the owner of the merit on the price. I know he needs to sell it. But I also know that can come with a world or problems when someone is trying to get out of something.
The ranger owner wants not so badly to sell his boat and plans in keeping it after haul out if I do not buy so he knows his boat quite well while the merit owner seems to know about as much as I do (scary)
post #6 of 23 Old 03-04-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I honestly don't think you're going to fit a bicycle into either boat, especially the Merit.
Not unless you're using one of those collapsible bicycles that fold in half or something.
CLVTXN likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #7 of 23 Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I honestly don't think you're going to fit a bicycle into either boat, especially the Merit.
Not unless you're using one of those collapsible bicycles that fold in half or something.
You'd be surprised. :
The companion way on the r23 gives more then a couple inches on both sides.
Wheels come off with a swing clamp front and back. Toss it all in one of the side births and boom.
It is ALL carbon too so unlikely it will scratch anything plus very light

Last edited by CLVTXN; 03-04-2016 at 01:39 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-04-2016

I don't think I would choose either of those boats if you plan on living on it a few nights a week. Pretty spartan interiors - race boats.

Curious why you didn't care for the Pearson or Dolphin? Much better interiors for spending a few nights on a week, and both are of a design that would be more forgiving to a new sailor.

Are you sure you want a raceboat? Keep in mind that "fast" is relative in sailing....
CLVTXN likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lazerbrains For This Useful Post:
CLVTXN (03-04-2016)
post #9 of 23 Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter

"Living" would be quite a long shot. more like extended napping.
I mostly live at my Shop which is less then 2 miles from the boat. either boat. as they are docked on the same pier.
the interiors are not what bother me i prefer the open layout and minimalistic feel of both boats. easy to clean easy to maintain. lots of room. my 100lb dog doesn't have a lot nicely varnished wood he can scratch up in either as well since he will be aboard when i go out for any day sailing.
its been since december the last time i was aboard the merit so i need a refreshing of my mind but it had a near identical set up to the r23 minus a some head room around the companion way. if i am not mistaken i recall the v birth in the merit being slightly larger.

Now the Pearson was a lovely boat and very heavy for its size which you could feel when walking aboard but it had significant deck rot in the sole of the cockpit. a little bit in the cabin and it just gave me an overall sense that the boat has not been well maintained. 6+ years since its last bottom paint, loose rudder, tiller joint. i was scared what i would find if i hauled her and the docking fees were also more in my marina due to its size.

the dolphin was a solid boat inside and out
it was on trailer(shitty trailer, ZERO road worthiness, rusting apart in place) at the marina and was in solid shape below the waterline.
i personally hated the settee design of the cabin it had a SMALL v birth. and not enough room. many amenities but that's not what i need.. currently at least.
plus the owner felt to much historical value behind the boat to part with it for what i felt a reasonable price. ie within my budget lol. the shoal/swing keel is also a bit weird to me and seems outdated.

¨_¨

Last edited by CLVTXN; 03-04-2016 at 03:28 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-04-2016

Yes, condition is key.

If it were me with a 100lb dog and bicycle, looking to "extended nap" for 3 days a week, I think I would be looking at more cruiser oriented boats around 27' minimum.

Unless you are a racer, PHRF ratings are the last thing you should be worried about.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.