Highest quality older cheap boats?60-88 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-11-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Highest quality older cheap boats?60-88

Hi there,
I noticed that there are a lot of cheap boats form the 60s-80s out there, generally in the 500-5000 range sometimes more like 10k or even free.

I know that hunters and benetau are not considered that great, but I'm interested in hearing more about others I've seen, pearsons, choey lee, catalina, etc. My friend has a pearson which he's made really nice. Ive also seen nice mcgregors, kirby etc and another friend has an allied seawind

Of all the older sailboats that are cheaply available, which is considered of the highest quality of manufacture, parts and design? Not asking about which is the right one for me, which one gets me on the water, I'm just trying to find out what to look for in terms of a high quality boat that will be worth getting parts for if need be even if it is more difficult. please restrict the discussion to what you think the HIGHEST QUALITY boat is built from 60s-80s and still widely available. Thanks a lot for your input!

edit:PLEASE don't weasel around the point of the thread. I guess I would add that how they generally have held up over the years is a good factor to add to how well they were built

Last edited by sailornoob; 03-11-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-11-2016

Re: Highest quality older cheap boats?60-88

You seem to be looking for a well-built boat at a good price. Aren't we all? Tartans may be something to add to your list too, but so much depends upon the condition of the specific boat you're looking at. A Hinckley that hasn't been taken care of might not be better than a "lesser quality" boat that has been maintained properly. On the other hand, a good-quality boat in mediocre shape might still be worth more than a mediocre boat in good shape. It's a question of balancing out what's important to you after you find out what that is . Sounds like you have a lot of book-reading ahead of you.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-11-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
You seem to be looking for a well-built boat at a good price. Aren't we all? Tartans may be something to add to your list too, but so much depends upon the condition of the specific boat you're looking at. A Hinckley that hasn't been taken care of might not be better than a "lesser quality" boat that has been maintained properly. On the other hand, a good-quality boat in mediocre shape might still be worth more than a mediocre boat in good shape. It's a question of balancing out what's important to you after you find out what that is . Sounds like you have a lot of book-reading ahead of you.
Thanks for the reply. What I do know is that I prefer a more blue water suited boat. And though I am so attracted to ketches, they don't seem worth it. I can't get past the saying "you never buy a second ketch" I have never sailed one, and I think I am just attracted to them by the way they come closer to a fully rigged ship that I fantasize about one day captaining. I also am more attracted to low aspect ratios. In fact, I love the dhows I saw when I traveled in the middle east. I think that lots of beam, stability, and a powerful rig are most important to me. I like the pearson tank my friend has from the 60s because of this. Comfort for liveaboard/cruising , and ill get my kicks heeling over in a dinghy
post #4 of 8 Old 03-11-2016
Dirt Free

is your boat still aground ?
Did you get an anchor yet ?
How's that plan to sail a sunfish 120 miles in a day coming along ?

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
post #5 of 8 Old 03-11-2016

I like Bristol and Cape Dory Boats. There is a nice Bristol 32 for sale in NC for under 10K. I think it is a good deal. Used 1967 Bristol 32, Oriental, Nc - 28571 - BoatTrader.com

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #6 of 8 Old 03-11-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
is your boat still aground ?
Did you get an anchor yet ?
How's that plan to sail a sunfish 120 miles in a day coming along ?
1 Nope drift is good for something LOL
2 "YUP" -E40
3. Not gonna do it, but I probably could.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-12-2016

Ericson . . very good build quality, Bruce King design . . . ericsonyachts.org is also a great group with all the help in the world.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2016

older hughes boats even ones that are in good condition tend to sell for cheap. if youre looking for a bargain the best thing to do is have whatever youre willing to spend ready to strike and wait for that great deal. i once saw a corbin 39 for 20k which was completely refitted. it sold in a week. i also saw a 1996 hunter 40.5 for sale for 16k. it sat for over a month and likely sold for less. the starboard side of the companionway was completely crushed in from a tree falling on it. not a do it yourself repair but for 10-20k for the repair youd have a 80-100k boat. patience is key. my plan is to buy a newer boat in 5 to 10 years. but its entirely likely that a once in a lifetime deal will come along between now and then. you really need to know your stuff or be prepared to bear the burden of any surprises because there is no time for a survey because by the time you get a surveyor lined up the boat has already been sold. the boat i own now was like that. the engine was believed to be shot so i negotiated with the assumption that the engine would need to be replaced. we came to an agreement sight unseen and i brought a certified check and had insurance lined up for the viewing.
turned out the engine was not shot. the biggest cost of these cheap boats is the possibility that you may be throwing your money away. you have to decide if thats a risk you're willing to take.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.