Cal 21 Genoa Track? - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter

Cal 21 Genoa Track?

I bought a Cal 21 last summer, and spent the first month totally replacing the rotted plywood components in the cabin. Once I got her in the water I found I love this boat!

Now I'm looking for input on the placement of T-track for the jib cars. The existing tracks begin 4'-3" from the stern and run forward 18". On the attached jpeg I've drawn the working jib and genoa shown on the original Jensen Marine drawing. From the midpoint of the luffs I've extended a line thru the clews to the deck. The line on the working jib lands right in the middle of the existing T-track (shown red). Which suggests to me the boat as built was only equipped to fly a working jib.

The line from the midpoint of the genoa extended thru the clew to the deck lands considerably astern of my existing T-track. I'm assuming to properly sheet the genoa under a variety of wind conditions, I need another track there.

Do any readers have experience with adding T-track for genoas?

Thanks,
jim
Attached Thumbnails
Genoa track.jpg   IMG_0750red.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-21-2016
Just another Moderator

Re: Cal 21 Genoa Track?

Adding track is fairly simple... measure, mark, drill holes and install. However for long term success with 'add on' tracks it's probably a good idea to seal the deck core where you drilled (drill oversized, tape holes underneath and fill with epoxy, let set, then redrill correct size) and use a backing plate (or another piece of track) underneath - and bedding everything thoroughly to keep the water out of the boat and the deck core. Butyl tape works well for his job, though there are other 'tube' sealants that can work too. (BoatLife, Sikaflex, etc, NOT 3M 5200)

You might consider replacing the existing with a longer overall track, though sometimes two tracks can overlap to provide more options for sheeting angles.

Is the current track on the toerail/deck edge? or more inboard?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 19 Old 03-21-2016

not really related, but the interior looks great!! my first sailboat was a Cal21, got it for free if that tells you anything. Learned a lot fixing it up but it never looked that good

post #4 of 19 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter

Faster,
Thanks for your response.
Tomorrow I'll shoot a photo of the location of the track, which terminates right at the winch.
Not sure I want to relocate the winches.
Right now I'm thinking to leave the original track for my working jib, and add a second track sternward for a genoa track.
jim
post #5 of 19 Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter

I'm attaching a photo of the existing conditions:
- 18" jib car track
- winch
- cleat astern of the winch for the jib sheet
Assuming I need another track for my genoa, where to locate it?
There's not much real estate available there.

What got me thinking about this is yesterday I began reading The New Book of Sail Trim.
At least two contributors recommend three sets of telltales on the jib: 1/3 down from the head, in the middle, 1/3 up from the tack.
By noticing when coming up into the wind which set of telltales break first, one can determine where to position the jib car.
I realize I should run this test when I get my Cal in the water, mid to late April, and just hold the sheet by hand in various positions to determine where to locate the track.
But still, it will need to go roughly where the winch and cleat are now located.
Ideas anyone?
post #6 of 19 Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter

Oops!
Post went before I attached photo.
See below.
Attached Thumbnails
cockpit rail.jpg  
post #7 of 19 Old 03-22-2016
Just another Moderator

Have you sailed this boat yet? With the sails that you have?

I wouldn't do anything until you've tried things out. Adding a track in that region looks awkward and hard to get at. I'm guessing the track you have is probably in the right place already - although with a low-clewed working jib you might want another further forward instead.

Try everything out for maybe a season before you make modifications.. you'll make smarter ones after that.
jwing likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 19 Old 03-22-2016

The lead location will be determined by the exact sail you would have. the sail could have a low foot (deck sweeper) and the lead you have would work. if you are having a sail made then the sailmaker would cut the sail to fit the boat. it seems that a track installed any futher aft on that boat would be for a sail that is just to big for that boat and would unbalance the boat unless used off the wind only.
Faster likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #9 of 19 Old 03-22-2016
4KSB driver.

You know when I get a question like this, I sometimes do an image search to see if I can get a better perspective. I was only able to find 1 decent picture of the Cal 21 going upwind (and its on sailboatdata - shock)... For sure I thought I'd find others.

Looking at the above picture, the clew is quite high and looks to be still eased a significant amount, but you are right to think that having the car further forward would help upwind more.

I'd add that the crude 3 point end boom sheeting would also lend to poor point upwind. So a better sheeting arrangement for the mainsail would be required, along with a lower cut genoa, to get more point out of the boat. This is all speculation it would seem (since I've not sailed it), but I could see why you are considering the longer track. I'd also consider a traveler and placing it at the threshhold of the companionway.

The shape of the (swing) keel might also not help the boat upwind, so this might be a losing battle anyway, and all those changes might not (pardon pun) hold water if the keel doesn't have shape to lift much upwind.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-22-2016

The other concern I would have is that the sheet lead to the winch is directional. Meaning that there is a 'front' to a winch and the line needs to meet the winch at that spot. It has to do with the internal gearing of the winch. Even the bolt holes of a winch are spaced assuming the sheet loads are pulling the winch in one direction.

To accomplish this with that layout would require running the sheet off of the jib block, back to a spinnaker turning block, forward to another turning block and then back to the winch. This would be a really complicated routing and one I would prefer to avoid if there was any way to do so.

Edit: I was typing when Schnool posted. A modern deck sweeping jib would push the track lead very far forward from its current position, allowing a much larger sail to trim to the track you do have. Before I started moving winches or adding track I would double check the cut of the sails you do have.

Greg

Last edited by Stumble; 03-22-2016 at 12:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
jimshipsky (03-22-2016)

Tags
cal 21 , genoa jib cars

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.