Thoughts on upcoming Catalina 425 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 140 Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter

Thoughts on upcoming Catalina 425

Hi All,

Well, family is growing and so I'm curious about models in the >40 foot range now. I dont like the super-modern direction most production builders are going, and I especially dont like the trend toward saildrives taken by Beneteau/Jeanneau. So that leaves me with Catalina that makes a boat in my price range.

What are everyone's thoughts on the upcoming Catalina 425. While I like the dimensions and the new design direction, I am concerned about some changes/"shortcuts"

Catalina Announces New Yacht for 2016 | Cruising World

Specs/Features not behind a registration wall: http://www.captrickweiler.com/wp-con...ro-package.pdf

Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts

I'm curious about certain decisions being taken. For example, a fiberglass toe-rail? That seems like a cost cutting move rather than putting a proper aluminum toe-rail thats through bolted through the hull/deck joint.

We live in SW FLorida, so I'm going to be investigating the shoal draft, 4'11" keel. Any thoughts on that vs the 6'8" standard keel (non-starter in the waters i wish to be in).

In looking at the line drawings, I see that Catalina has copied what my 2008 Beneteau did with the prop strut...a nacelle of sorts attached to the hull rather than an exposed strut that the shaft passes through. I like this. I also like how there's no hard chines (preference vs ability here).

I like that there's a strong non-turbo Yanmar (57hp). I noticed that for like displacement, beneteau/jeanneau are cutting down the hp on their engines....making them work hard.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 03-23-2016

Re: Thoughts on upcoming Catalina 425

Quote:
For example, a fiberglass toe-rail? That seems like a cost cutting move rather than putting a proper aluminum toe-rail thats through bolted through the hull/deck joint.
Pretty standard for Catalina, means the only place to hang fenders is from the stanchion bases. But it also means you'll never lose a toe to an Aluminum toe rail or have to refinish one of those nice looking wood ones on the French boats, and no bolt holes.
And if you like a lead keel,

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 03-23-2016 at 01:36 PM.
post #3 of 140 Old 03-23-2016

I have to admit that at least on paper that is the one of the most appealing new designs that I have seen from a major manufacturer in a long time. While it would be easy to nitpick some of the details, and there is not much information about the lines of the boat, to my eye this is a very impressive boat that appears to be a major step up from earlier Catalinas that I have known. The things that I like are the L/D = 130 which is light enough to provide decent performance while also heavy enough to allow decent carrying capacity. Solid ballast ratio for a bulb keel. Adequate SA/D to be able to get by without large overlapping jibs. Fractional rig (although I suspect too stiff a spar to do much with mast bend and the stock spar is in-mast furling which would screw up the advantages of a fractional rig). Moderate beam, fine bow and moderate transom width by modern standards. If I understand their "T-Beam" mast support this is a moment connected mast base which would provide all of the advantages of a keel stepped mast with all of the advantages of a deck stepped mast (which is something that I have advocated for decades.)

If the execution is as good as the basic design appears to be, this could turn out to be one heck of a great boat.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-24-2016 at 04:39 PM.
post #4 of 140 Old 03-23-2016
Just another Moderator

Nobody is really doing aluminum toerails anymore.. and that's a shame (not only for the structural reasons) One of the things our friends currently cruising a Bene 36.7 in the Caribbean lament is the lack of a decent toerail. Cost and, I suppose, assembly time are the likely major reason for this migration away from that very handy feature.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 140 Old 03-23-2016

Quote:
that appears to be a major step up from earlier Catalinas that I have known.
Ouch, I can only hope you've never known my "earlier" 320.
FWIW I "tailgated" one of those new bene's for a mile one day so I could watch how those hard chines and two short angled rudders work, pretty interesting.
jjablonowski likes this.

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 140 Old 03-23-2016

Personally chines on cruising boats are all about marketing with some additional space but little to no performance difference. Twin rudders on the other hand do work better with pizza boats with really wide beam carried aft. They have some downsides as well such as needing more speed to change direction in marinas and being fully exposed at sea without a keel in front of them.
post #7 of 140 Old 03-24-2016

The 42 and its MkII successor both had fiberglass toerails so from that perspective there's nothing lost. That said, it'd be nice if they offered one as an option.
post #8 of 140 Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
The 42 and its MkII successor both had fiberglass toerails so from that perspective there's nothing lost. That said, it'd be nice if they offered one as an option.
Holy cow, you're right! I just checked google images, and apparently the 42 MKII did have fiberglass toe rails. That being said, the rest of the "5" series from Catalina have aluminum toerails.

Is it possible that catalina is using the same deck mold for this new boat???? Very interesting design decision.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #9 of 140 Old 03-24-2016
Broad Reachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Pretty standard for Catalina, means the only place to hang fenders is from the stanchion bases. But it also means you'll never lose a toe to an Aluminum toe rail or have to refinish one of those nice looking wood ones on the French boats, and no bolt holes.
My previous boat had an aluminum toe rail. I loved it for the almost unlimited options for attaching lines, fenders, snatch blocks, etc. but it leaked like a sieve. I think I'd prefer fiberglass and less holes in the deck. And you can always attached fenders to the midship cleat or a cleat on the genoa car track.

To my eye, both aesthetically and from a design perspective, the 425 looks like a 7/8ths 445.

Lots of design and construction details from Gerry Douglas here:
Jeff_H, Faster and nemier like this.

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 03-24-2016 at 12:44 PM.
post #10 of 140 Old 03-24-2016

I can't tell from the images, did they change their hull to deck joint back to that shoe box detail?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.