Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
Published Survey/Checklist w/text to follow

I am wondering if there is a published checklist on a survey mode with text to follow when looking at a boat ?

It is all too easy to get swayed by cosmetics and forget/overlook things to check, until the actual survey.

Is there a printed out inspection to follow, or make your own ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A good place to start would be reading Don Casey's Inspecting the Aging Sailboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2006

Thanks, thats the kind of thing that I am looking for, definitly NOT trying to be an amateur suveryor but do want to be able to make an informed inspection, I'll add this to my to-get list.

Thats coming along nicely, I had 18 books on it, was able to order 13 of them this week on amazon.com in used, good as new condition for less then 200 including shipping. Got confirmation shipping on all.
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The information you'll get out of that book should at least let you have a good idea of whether the boat is worth surveying or whether you should just run.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-03-2006

I found the book by Don Casey on amazon.com and ordered it along with Surveying Fiberglass Sailboats by Henry Mustin.

Amazon also has a slew of Dons other books, quite an impressive list, being mechanically challenged I'll be getting some more of them.

Right now I am trying to get grounded on doing a realistic boat inspection instead of just admiring the dockaminium features.

Next big question is going to be on how to protect all these books from moisture .
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

The skills needed for doing a rough survey of a boat have far more to do with having some common sense and being able to recognize when something doesn't look right than actually having any mechanical aptitude.

One thing I will say is that you should look in the nooks and crannies as if a boat has been "prettied up" for sale, they often miss the deep bilge and small compartments and dark corners, and by looking in these places, you'll get a much better idea of whether the good looks are just because it is up for sale or because the boat was properly cared for. If the galley is spotless, but the area under the galley sink has a deep layer of grunge...chances are more likely that the clean status of the galley is just for the sale.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-03-2006

VMacDonald is on a distinguished road
Ian Nicholson's Surveying Small Craft is supposed to be an excellent book on exactly this subject. Ian is still in the surveying business and recently surveyed a Contessa 32 for us, he is very thorough and I expect that that is reflected in the book.
Old 11-03-2006

Well, another book to add to the list ,

I am sure by the time I accompany a surveyor on one that it will all fall into place fairly quick, but right now I am just trying to find out enough to look for to determine whether its worth a survey or as was said to run.
Old 11-05-2006

So, have found the two books, Inspecting the Aging Sailboat by Don Casey, and Surveying Small Craft by Ian Nicolson, but havent found others close,

a number on repair of systems, which should be helpful, still looking.
Old 11-05-2006
Telstar 28

Another thing to do is to ask around the marina or boatyard about the boat. The people there can often tell you how much the boat was used, and how often the owner was down doing maintenance on it. Boats that are neglected are often in far worse shape than boats that are used regularly and maintained regularly.

Telstar 28
New England