Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
Help! I need experienced opinions

So here's the quick of it. I've been posting all over for weeks trying to find some semblence of information about the Seafarer 31 Mk1 sloop... to no avail! I've even gone as far as to email Bill Tripp Jr about his father's design but have yet to hear back. So here's a new idea. Forget that it's a seafarer 31 since no one knows anything about her, I am going to give you the specs and a few picture examples and you guys (and gals) tell me what you think she'd be like.

This is a project for me, I have a perfect hull with a good diesel engine, and the intention to travel in this boat in a few years; thats it. The rigging, interior, the whole 9 needs to be redone and because of it its kind of like haveing a blank canvas to work with and make my own creation. Soooooo, without further ado...

LOA: 31'2"
LWL: 23'
Beam: 8'9"
Draft: 4'7"
Ballast: 3500# encapsulated lead
Displ: 9000#
Sail Area:
main- 170 sq ft
jib- 190 sq ft
genoa 290 sq ft

Even if you just compare her to another design, thats fine, I just need some feed back. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seafarer_31_sloop.jpg (34.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg sf-3.jpg (21.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by deckhanddave; 11-06-2006 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added pictures
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
My first impression is that the boat is the kind of boat that ought to be preserved. She has beautiful, classic lines above the waterline, and, below the waterline she looks like she'd be well behaved. She wouldn't be the fastest thing on the water, but she wouldn't be the slowest, either. She looks like she'd like a lot of wind.

For most project boats, the condition of the hull and engine are the deal-breakers. As I see it, if the hull and diesel engine are really "perfect," then the only remaining questions are whether you can buy her at a price that will make it economically feasible for you to restore her, and whether you have the time, skills and committment to complete the job.
Old 11-06-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dittos on that...she is very attractive and looks like a good cruiser. I like the protected rudder skeg! My guess is she will heel easily then get stiff and have a nice sea-kindly motion. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pretty boat, and from her specs and looking at the photos, I'd agree with cam and sailormon. She's also not as beamy as some of her more modern counterparts, so she's probably a bit more tender at least at first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Tripp

Ted Jones worked with Bill Tripp, Jr (father of Tripp extant) and has an article on his designs in this months Good Old Boat (Nov/Dec-06) and I'd start my search there. What a coincidence! BTW-play the lottery this week, you're on a roll.
Old 11-07-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
I bought an Ontario 32 and redid everything and I mean everything. It was a project I very much enjoyed and was a great experience. One note of caution, choosing this path can be more expensive than actually just going out and buying something. That being said it does allow you to spend X dollars a week/month without putting up a huge amount up front.

Beyond that she looks like a nice solid boat, with pleasing lines and some personalaity. I think she would make a worthy project

Todd
Old 11-07-2006

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
thanks for the input. The price is more than reasonable (the cost of a year in dry dock at her marina) and I agree about her classic lines. Since the rig has to be all but scrapped I'm considering setting her up as a gaff cutter.(she was originally set up as a day sailer. Single shrouds, undersized rigging, no reefs in main, light duty roller furler, undersized chain plates and stays...)I've always loved the look and low tech nature of the gaff. A LOT of work needs to go into this boat, but luckily that's what I'm looking for. Made a very very rough gaff cutter mock up using a lyle hess design. too much topsl' for me but still gives an idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gaff.jpg (18.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
a bit odd looking to me...but looks like it'll work

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddave
... Since the rig has to be all but scrapped I'm considering setting her up as a gaff cutter.(she was originally set up as a day sailer. Single shrouds, undersized rigging, no reefs in main, light duty roller furler, undersized chain plates and stays...).... Made a very very rough gaff cutter mock up using a lyle hess design. too much topsl' for me but still gives an idea
Why does the rig have to be scrapped? I would expect what is there is adequate for the boat's capabilities even if it needs servicing - do you just want to start over?
As to making a cutter out of a sloop, how are you going to move the mast step, or are you just going to add second foresail and call it a cutter. Frankly converting a sloop to a cutter gaff rig seems a pretty dubious concept.
Have you worked out a budget for your planned renovations?
Old 11-07-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For some reason I'm not getting your posted pics on this thread, but looking up the model in one of my books, it does look like a pretty boat - one of those timeless never-looking-dated designs - but not the "look", to my eye anyway, that would suit a traditional gaff rig.

As far as adding a staysail in a cutter configuration you may get away with that since the original sloop rig appears to have a fairly long "J" measurement. Having said that, though, I doubt you'll gain much aside from perhaps the "look" you want.

I agree with Sailingfool that you may want to have a closer look at the rig before you deep-six it and reinvent the wheel.