SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tartan 34C

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  enterprise 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a Tartan 34C... I see it has been made with three different boom lengths and a multitude of mainsheet traveler positions. Any thoughts on which configuration offers the best combination of performance and cockpit usability? General insights on the boat are also welcome.
Thanks,
Stephan

#2 ·
Might want to PM T34Chef...as he has one I do believe... :D

#3 ·
I know from considering the Tartan 34c as well at some time in the past that this boat enjoys an AMAZING owners association. http://www.tartanowners.org/models/t34profile.phtml

is just 1 link I dragged up.

There is actually a T34 yearbook that circulates anually, and it is a peice of work let me tell you! Glossy pages, articles, restoration projects. On the chesapeake they are a very popular boat, handsome, well found, and would (I bet) be a pleasure to own. Having been aboard a few the access points to almost all the mechanical systems are very convenient.

Good Luck

#4 ·
sailingdog said:
Might want to PM T34Chef...as he has one I do believe... :D
he has a tartan 37....
i do know he loves his boat though
it was on my short list too

#6 ·
There is a new website exclusivly for the T34 C w/lots of great info, www.tca34.org
I have a T34C Yawl w/shorter 10.5' boom and mid boom sheeting. The boom was shortened early on in production, so most 34's have the 10.5 (some have retrofitted longer). The mid boom sheeting really opens up the cockpit area and works very well on the high aspect ratio main.
Love the boat. A true classic. Boats vary in states of restoration like all older boats, but in general hold value well (may even INCREASE in value, if you can believe that!) I'd be happy to answer any question.

#8 ·
Glad to hear from a T34 yawl owner .Could I ask two questions .
Is it sailable single handed safely?
How does it behave up wind in heavy weather .?
Are you happy with the centreboard does it encroach much on the "roominess "of the boat
I have no experience of yawl rigs .
There must have been very few Yawl rigs of T34.sold?
Many thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.