Grampian 26 $1500CAN? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2016 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to timbertotide
Grampian 26 $1500CAN?

Hello all,

Looking for my first boat to learn on with my GF. We're located on Vancouver Island.

Recently offered a Grampian 26 that must be from before 1973 I believe, due to the teak toe rails. As far as I can tell, it's a dry boat. All the chain plates look dry and rot free. There is a one foot sq soft spot on the deck near the bow and some softness near the rear of the cockpit floor. No other signs of damage, just some old teak but in good shape. Comes with very little except and anchor, main, roller furling, jib, and spinnaker. No motor, VHF, compass, safety gear, etc. Cushions inside and in cockpit are in good shape. Standing rigging looks solid. The bottom has been neglected...Last scraped and zinced over 2yrs ago. I'm thinking of offering $1000 due to all it needs. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2016
NOOB

Re: Grampian 26 $1500CAN?

I would almost think he should be giving it away. Not that Grampions are bad, but it's going to cost a fair bit to get her seaworthy. I did a lot of sailing on an old (newer) Grampion 26 on Lake Huron, learned a lot and had an immense amount of fun. Sturdy old boat
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2016

With boats in that price range, the boat price is almost a non-issue. It's the cost to fix it up which will easily be several times the cost to buy the boat. You state no motor. A new outboard alone is going to run $2000. You need to look at the total cost including updates and repairs.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2016
Senior Moment Member

Even beyond the upkeep & repairs is the cost of parking it. In two seasons I have spent considerably more on moorage than I have spent in total on my Hunter 31.

A grand for a basically solid old G26 is just fine - pocket change really. Most boats for that price don't even have furling.

You'll get lots of advice to spend 10X or 20X that amount to get a really nice boat but if it's basically sound and you can do most or all the work yourself nothing will be cheaper. They are very simple and basic boats so nothing is very difficult.

You don't need a brand new outboard - thousands of them for sale on CL or similar as well as from repair shops. You don't need brand new custom sails (well, maybe the main), there are thousands of good used sails out there.

Etc. Etc. Etc.
miatapaul likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
bird song (04-19-2016), timbertotide (04-18-2016)
post #5 of 10 Old 04-19-2016
Doesn't sail enough

JonB is right, but so are the others: a boat in this range is basically worth its outboard. You could really offer $750. Seller won't have a lot of offers.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2016
Old enough to know better

Sounds like the perfect boat to get started with as long as your not a stickler about a shiny fancy boat. It will get you out there, and as long as she is sound keep you safe. Just understand the boat is just the opening of the wallet. Investigate the cost of mooring and winter storage. Keep in mind those are costs that don't care if you use the boat or not, just will happen every year likely more than the boat cost each year. Keep things simple, no electronics other than a VHF and a depth sounder and you can have fun for years with her. A boat is like a kid, once they figure that you will open your wallet with just a few tears, your done for! And the boat does not even have to cry!

Then you will have the fever and upgrade, or perhaps be happy with this and just keep playing.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-22-2016

I bought my 1972 Grampian 26 about 4 months ago for $950.00.. It came with a main and a jib, and all rigging. No motor (so I bought an older Honda 9.9 which runs beautifully for $500). also came with two anchors, one having a heavy short chain and plenty of rope. Also an alcohol stove, which I'm still unable to get lit. A bare interior, looking like it's never had any kind of liner or anything in it, but did have a nice looking new cabin sole, and a "new" bilge pump which didn't work..

The doors to to the head and hanging locker evidently removed long ago and discarded somewhere. It had all it's interior cushions, and I was supposed to have received some brand new covers which had been made for them along with the sale.. but I never actually received them, so currently, only two of the cushions have wore and tore remains of covers on them.
The hatch cover needs repair, and the outer teak needs restoration or replacement.

Although the boat seems to be very sound, and there's no soft spots anywhere on the deck or anything, nor is there any evidence of other problems in "what to look for" as described and detailed on the grampianowners website for the G26, there is numerous areas exhibiting mild "crazing" (if my termonology is correct), which has been advised to me as only needing cosmetic repair.. Also the bottom had not been cleaned in about two years..

I had never sailed before, so I (we) motored the boat about 80 miles from Sapelo Island GA, where it was located to my home here on Tybee Island Ga. (Took about a day and a half)

All that being said; was it worth the grand total of $1450 (boat and motor) I paid?..

To me it was, I love this boat!
For a 26 footer, it's very roomy and comfortable. The six foot head room is a big plus, and I'm gradually making improvements to it, and adding little luxuries as well.

I'm curious to know if you bought it or not..
I would have said "YES! buy it!"

If you did, you might be interested to look over the "Front Pages" section of my blog where I've compiled all the information I could find about the G26, much of which you won't readily find anywhere else.. It won't let me post my link here, but it you google "Grampian 26 worlds largest 26 footer", it should come up first in the results, and once your there select from the menu on the right under section called "Front Pages" -- Lot's of cool information there..

So... Did you buy it?.. If so, what's your thoughts on it?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Sounds like the perfect boat to get started with as long as your not a stickler about a shiny fancy boat. It will get you out there, and as long as she is sound keep you safe. Just understand the boat is just the opening of the wallet. Investigate the cost of mooring and winter storage. Keep in mind those are costs that don't care if you use the boat or not, just will happen every year likely more than the boat cost each year. Keep things simple, no electronics other than a VHF and a depth sounder and you can have fun for years with her. A boat is like a kid, once they figure that you will open your wallet with just a few tears, your done for! And the boat does not even have to cry!

Then you will have the fever and upgrade, or perhaps be happy with this and just keep playing.
A boat is like a kid..... Such a great analogy. I have two teenagers and two boats......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2016

Have somebody go over the sails.
Everything else on boats this size can be dealt with cheaply (in boat terms).
A set of old bagged out sails can't be trimmed properly, cause the boat to heel excessively, are slow and don't point as close to the wind.
If the sails are shot I wouldn't offer much over 500$ as all you are buying is a hull and rig. Can't do much with just that!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-27-2016
cocky young kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbertotide View Post
Hello all,

Looking for my first boat to learn on with my GF. We're located on Vancouver Island.

Recently offered a Grampian 26 that must be from before 1973 I believe, due to the teak toe rails. As far as I can tell, it's a dry boat. All the chain plates look dry and rot free. There is a one foot sq soft spot on the deck near the bow and some softness near the rear of the cockpit floor. No other signs of damage, just some old teak but in good shape. Comes with very little except and anchor, main, roller furling, jib, and spinnaker. No motor, VHF, compass, safety gear, etc. Cushions inside and in cockpit are in good shape. Standing rigging looks solid. The bottom has been neglected...Last scraped and zinced over 2yrs ago. I'm thinking of offering $1000 due to all it needs. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help in advance!
you wouldn't happen to be in comox, would you?

My knotmeter started working the other day. Turns out I'm faster when it's not working.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.