Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2001

CISCOJOE is on a distinguished road
FORCE FIVE SAILBOAT

i am looking for for a small sailboat i can tie down on my 38'' cutter and take cruising with us. for adults and kids to sail. ease of handling and stability are important.

this is not a dink issue. i have an inflatable for that purpose.

i found an online ad for a force five. anyone out there familiar with the boat? is it worth looking into? if not, any suggestions on what might suit? thanks in advance for your response.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
FORCE FIVE SAILBOAT

I have sailed and raced on Force Fives. They are basically hard chibe versions of a Laser. They are not all that hard to sail in moderate conditions but take some real skill to sail well or sail in a breeze. These are fast boats and a lot of fun. They are not especially small or light in weight and so would be a little difficult to carry on board a 38 footer at least I could not imagine how I would carry one on my 38 footer. I think holder used to make an 11 footer that would be easier to carry. Another option would be to try to find a 1960''s era O''day Sprite (my first boat) or perhaps a 1960''s era Moth, Dyer Dhow or Penguin. Even stowing a 10 or 11 footer aboard would be tricky on a 38 footer. I have been working on the design for a light weight 8 footer that would hold two adults and would stow on my deck.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2001

rpowell is on a distinguished road
FORCE FIVE SAILBOAT

I used to sail my inlaws'' Force 5. To rig that boat the sail had a sleeve that we slid over the mast. Seems to me that would be difficult if launching from a larger boat. Additionally, it was heavy.

Bob
Old 11-01-2001

shipley is on a distinguished road
FORCE FIVE SAILBOAT

I had one from 1977 to 79 and raced it while in high school. Actualy sailed it around Brigantine Island New Jersey a few times in good sized seas. Loved the boat but it''s hard for a novice (and the best)to sail down wind in a good breeze w/out rocking madly then flipping (unlike Lasers). Large sail area for LWL. Still, it is an excellent built boat but a very heavy one for what your after. I''ve raced Moths and Penquins in the back bays of NJ and i agree w/the previous statement.
Old 05-25-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road
Re: FORCE FIVE SAILBOAT

same here. i actually sailed my force 5 yesterday on the intercoastal, it was loads of fun and when you find the right angle of sail, it creates decent wake and heels nice. ( however the first time i took it out, i capsized at least 5 times.) its fairly easy to rig, with practice. its delicate to gusts...
i dont like the whole mast slip over for the sail, i would recommend a lighter hull boat as this one averages 150 lbs hull alone.
Old 05-27-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: FORCE FIVE SAILBOAT

I have a force 5 thats been sitting for a while. Great boat for wet sailing and never had any issues with her.