Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
Wish us luck: Shearwater 39

My wife and I are flying from Calgary to Rhode Island tomorrow to inspect a Shearwater 39 that we're close to closing on. Many of you would know this boat from reading about it in Cruising World.

I once previously almost purchased a Shearwater 39 but since it was in South Africa it was not convenient for me at the time. This time I jumped (in fact I jumped out of bed and ran to my computer at one in the morning when I noticed the ad in Cruising World!) when I saw this boat come on the market. It had it's survey today. We're going to spend all of Saturday and Sunday going over the boat to learn all the intricacies of all the systems on board.

If it all comes together as I expect, my family and I will hopefully be taking a sabattical during the 2007-2008 cruising season from Rhode Island to the Caribbean.

So wish us luck! Now there is also the small issue of selling my current boat - a Dufour 36 classic. A GREAT coastal cruiser and extremely well fitted out - but in the final analysis not designed as an offshore boat like the Shearwater. I know however my family and I will shed many tears when Nonna gets sold...we had some great times in the Pacific Northwest with her!

Magnus Murphy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
That's great! Nice to hear her cruising legacy will continue! Best of luck this weekend and on next winter's cruise!
Old 11-17-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
Good luck, I hope the weather in RI doesnt prevent things from happening. It might be a longer weekend then you'd planned. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck...have a safe flight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-17-2006

sailingforever is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
good luck!
Old 11-17-2006
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Good Luck

Dudley Dix designed a beautiful boat with the Shearwater, nice shearline.
Old 11-17-2006

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
Absolutely beautiful boat and best of luck!

No doubt you'll turn a lot of heads wherever you might go.
Old 11-21-2006

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
Shearwater 39

We're back from our trip to inspect the Shearwater I wrote about. Yes it is indeed Ithaka, made famous by Bernadette and Doug Bernon.

she is in great condition and fitted out such that we could really just step aboard, buy food and take off around the world if we wanted. There are backups for the backups. Every possible thing that needs to be done to a boat has been done. We have only ONE regret. the V-berth is smaller than that of our Dufour 36. Such are the compromises of boats. The saloon is very spacious and liveable, the galley is great and the nav station is fantastic.

I'm pinching myself for such luck. She has everything I've ever read and thought an offshore boat should have. Also, being from Cape Town, the boat carries significant sentimental value for us. It brings back memories of Table mountain and Table Bay, the Southeaster, Constantia, Llundudno beach, Clifton....I better stop, I'm getting all emotional. Maybe we'll sail Ithaka back to Cape Town one day!!! What a homecoming that will be.

Now we just have to get all the finance detail, insurance and documentation issues sorted out. Hopefully that will go smoothly.

Magnus Murphy
Old 11-21-2006
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

sounds like a winner