Columbia 22 project help - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2016 Thread Starter

Columbia 22 project help

Hi all, I think I finally found a solid project that fits my budget. Columbia 22 1970, I'm looking for advice to things that could incur a massive expence or technical ability beyond what i can learn. I work in the Marine world and am pretty good at figuring things out especially marine application.
The good: solid hull no blisters recently resealed keel, looks like new keel bolts stainless, bulkheads and area below mast doesn't look bad, mast step secure.

The projects : top side leaks a little fresh water, may need new sails at some point but don't look too bad, engine mount needs to be mounted, mast/boom hardware looks like its rusting and would need to be replaced and repainted, interior has been gutted but recently painted blank slate, standing rigging may need to be replaced. May need to do the sandwhuch on bulkheada to reinforce with research ive done on these. No electrical system. Boat is held /transported on a custom built wood cradle.

Just looking for any resources or personal experience with the projects, fixing up one of these boats or just your opinion of them I'm having a hard time on the Google finding more than a just few resources. I'll try to get pics up soon.

Thanks

Last edited by Shellfisher; 05-14-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2016
Just another Moderator

Re: Columbia 22 project help

Quote:
mast/boom hardware looks like its rusting
This should be aluminum or SS.. so if 'rusting' is really happening this is sub standard equipment. If it's 304SS surface rust is a possibility esp near salt water.

Sounds like, well, a project

If you're getting it for nothing and happy to do the work could be good bones.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-15-2016

I agree with Faster. This sounds like a project. It had better be free or close to it as it's going to take a lot of time and money to fix and replace everything that needs to done. Does it come with a decent outboard?

post #4 of 8 Old 05-15-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for info, probly have to replace with proper stainless. No outboard, motor mount needs to be attached. It is pretty close to free.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2016 Thread Starter

Here are some pics, definitly think im going to pick this up this weekend, any last minute info or advice? Any deal breakers im missing around mast step or other. Also should i worry about damage to hull during transport on cradel? Any other columbia 22 owners on here that can reinforce putting time and money into this project? thanks in advance.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
20160508_164803.jpg   20160508_164331.jpg   20160508_164109.jpg   20160330_182538.jpg   20160508_164048.jpg  

post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2016
Barquito

I hope you don't plan on trailering that too far on the cradle in the picture. Check to make sure it is solidly built. Most of the weight should be on the keel. Have fun with your new project.

Valiant 32
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2016

Looks like a great starter boat. It's definitely a project boat, but aren't they all?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2016 Thread Starter

Might have been, unfortunately boat sold to someone else before I could pick it up, a little bummed but mabye for the best, thinking 22 may just be too small. Currently looking at a Columbia 26, but with rusty keel bolts that sat for many years on a mooring, and a ranger 28 that sat for a long time in a marina, with diesel, keel bolts look good along with every thing else I could inspect but think I may need to get these survayed... I'll see

Thanks for input and advice everyone.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.