Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2001

aasault is on a distinguished road
New Currency

I recently bought my first sailboat and have been lovingly shelling out cash ever since, which is mildly unpopular with the wife. A good friend from Mission Bay Yacht Club has lit a candle, rather than curse my darkness.

He told me I should adopt the "BOAT UNIT" form of currency to lessen the shock of another essential bit of hardware coming aboard.

Simply put, 1 BOAT UNIT equals $100. When I told my wife a new handheld VHF was only 1.5 BOAT UNITS, she chuckled at the stupid currency conversion, rather than the usual eye roll associated with US Dollar expenses.

VOILA! I had turned her attention away from the boat and its expenses, and focused it squarely on my sanity, which is a permanent topic anyway!

P.S.- this may not work with college educated women
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2001

paulk is on a distinguished road
New Currency

You may want to sit down with your moneylender to discuss the value of your Boat Units and where the decimal point goes. The expenses you mention sound like .15 BU''s, not 1.5.
Old 11-05-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
New Currency

Paul''s right. According to the United States Currency and Exchange Commission, article XXXVI, one Boat Unit = $1000.00 US. The actual quote from Everett Dirksen was "A boat unit here and a boat unit there, and eventually you are talking about real money."
I believe that you are spending actually spending Deci-Boat Units which are only useable on vessels under thirty feet. People with larger boats that thirty feet are not even allowed to bend down and pick up a dropped Deci-Boat Unit that has fallen out of someone''s pocket in the West Marine parking lot. 8^)

Jeff
Old 11-05-2001

New Currency

I was under the impression that the BU was a recently minted coin, however my MBYC pal seems guilty of blatant plagarism.

And thanks for the conversion correction.
The good news is I can''t wait to tell the wife my handheld VHF is actually 10 times cheaper than I thought, and West Marine has put a refund check in the mail for 135 DeciBUs.
Old 11-05-2001

New Currency

Sorry, I made a conversion error...West Marine just called and my refund check is actually 135 CentiBUs, not 135 DeciBUs as previously posted.

In defence of my MBYC pal, the club is mostly one design racing (thistles, snipes, lidos, etc.) so the DeciBU must surely be the currency of choice, hence his error in suggesting the BU ratio of 100-1 applied to my 35 footer. Most MBYC club members are not familiar with boats you have to step up into, so I''m sure even the MilliBU is actively traded.

Art
Old 11-06-2001

paulk is on a distinguished road
New Currency

Art is correct; milliBU''s are actively traded in many of the remote anchorages visited by people like Slocum, Moitissier, and the Pardys. World Bank publication #428-a83.529 deals with conversion rates in zones 4, 7, and 12, which would fall into these areas. Their offices in Washington can probably provide more detail if needed for your next trip.
Old 11-14-2006
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
thanks

What a great thread. I still haven't told my wife about the Icom M72 handheld VHF I just bought. I was thinking that putting "safety" equipment on the credit card didn't really count as an expense. I know I'll eventually tell her though, but now it's only .2 boat units! whew.

Luckily I don't have a boat and my club fee is a flat .2 units a month. I think that will keep me from spending too many units on this new hobby.

Ray
www.seattlesailing.com
Old 11-14-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
In referring to BU's it is generally acceptable to round off expenses to the nearest BU. Hence your recent purchase should just be ignored.
Old 11-15-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
and if the wife sees the invoice on the card just tell her to ignore because you did!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
John Vigor introduces a new currency in his book The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: The Fiscal Beer.

What with inflation etc, he figures quoted costs would soon be outdated but most of us would know the current price of a beer so he figures costs in Fiscal Beers, the unit being $2.50 now but subject to going up will still, he says, be comparable.

Are sailers becoming the next Cargo Cult ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.