I took the plunge, mistake? Tanzer 22 keel - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter

I took the plunge, mistake? Tanzer 22 keel

Hi all,
Well I finally did it, a boat I thought sold popped back up, and I drove 100 mIles south and picked it up. 1974 tanzer 22 iron keel, with a custom built trailer, 7 sails, mast most standing rigging and in seemingly decent shape. I knew this boat would be a bit of a project to get her in the water still not sure if I'm in over my head.

First off somthing going on at the keel joint, previous owner said he dropped and reseated and sealed keel. He sealed with white gelcoat not even sure if he did resealed joint with 5200 or not havnt started grinding. Hairline cracking in some areas in his gelcoat job forward and aft of keel. In the aft it looks as if previous job bubbled in small spots and has lifted off iron and is now flaking off. Also from interior keel bolts he said he only sealed forward 4 bolts... at this ppint not sure if I can trust what he says but there it is. I know from forum research an owner hit something in 2002 dropped faired and resealed in 2003.

I'd like to get the boat in the water and off the trailer so I can test the sails out and see how she fairs on the water with doing the majority of work at the end of the summer, but I'm wondering if this is even possible.

My plan was to grind down, mabye reseal joint but leave if it looks like it was done, and prep iron, and seal just the joint area so when I launch into the sound the salt doesn't get in. When boats in straps lifted I can also check for play in keel. Any help or advice on whether or not that will work in short term, let me know or if I have to completely drop and refair.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-08-2016
One of None

Re: I took the plunge, mistake? Tanzer 22 keel

Take her down to the ramp float her off the trailer see how she floats You may not have to do anything until the end of the season That's the beauty of Trailer Sailer Boats

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #3 of 18 Old 06-08-2016

I am assuming he didn't "seal" with gelcoat but faired the hull to keel joint with it. Probably not the best choice as cracking is sure to happen. Best is something a bit flexible as some movement is likely. I used to use 3M 4200.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-08-2016
One of None

Correction, I meant that you could float it on the trailer

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #5 of 18 Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter

Not sure what he was doing, my worry about launching as is the iron and salt combo, as u can see there is a little bit that is definitely exposed. This shot is aft section of keel, there may be 3200 under gel coat cause most of it is not open, any ideas for temporary fix, sand down prep and re gel coat or sand all of gel coat off and replace with better product?
Attached Thumbnails
20160604_183758_1465429713270.jpg  
post #6 of 18 Old 06-09-2016 Thread Starter

More pictures of keel area... should I just start grinding at the problem areas where rust is present, suggestions to products to prep iron or will 3200 work with a thin application over those areas?
Attached Thumbnails
20160604_183837_1465485321301.jpg   20160604_183729_1465485381540.jpg   20160604_183734_1465485433670.jpg  
post #7 of 18 Old 06-09-2016
One of None

I'd look inside.. you should be able to tell if the keel bolts have been apart. 3rd pic looks ok. Iron will always be had to keep paint on lots of discussions here on that alone. get some bottom paint slap it on. .. splash her see what happens!

Why I'm trying to get you to splash her is so you get the feel of having a boat on the water and you get to bond with the little lady. Too many people just get a boat start working on it and never get to sail it. so they loose interest.

found a site.
http://www.tanzer22.org/

Is your keel like this?

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-09-2016 at 02:10 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-09-2016

Those are good boats - we have two of them for our learn to sail program.

And do some Google - there is a lot of info on line.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-09-2016 Thread Starter

Actually there is a spot on the forward section on keel where the gelcoat has small crack in the same area, I took a picture to show that area forward keel, not nearly as bad, and only on port side.

Read more on that tanzer22.org site, good info on repainting keel, the author ground and sanded down, prepped with por15 and then 4200. I could do same later on, but for now should I put sand, gel goat over cracks and exposed iron, then bottom paint over that, would I need to bottom paint entire bottom or just those areas. The blue bottom paint that is on it is chalky, seemingly different what I see in the salt (this boat has been on fresh water for the last decade or so)
Attached Thumbnails
20160609_104305_1465497372530.jpg  

Last edited by Shellfisher; 06-09-2016 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Read more info on tanzer22.org
post #10 of 18 Old 06-09-2016

If this were me, I would paint any exposed iron or rusty areas with a metal primer, fill the areas where the fairing has fallen out, put a coat of bottom paint on, and go sailing. You can do a proper job later.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Shellfisher (06-09-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.