Comar Comet 910 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2016 Thread Starter

Comar Comet 910

Soooooo, I bought a boat....from someone who never registered it in his own name as he wasn't planning on using it on open water, now I have to register it, I'm going to have to go up and ask the seller how he got it etc, my questions are, 1. Is this a good boat? it doesn't seem to be in bad shape and he kept the sails indoors, and 2. am I an idiot for buying a boat with questionable registration? and is this hard to figure out? I'm assuming he got it legally from a yard or something that didn't receive payment or something and it was taken into the yard's possession etc. Please don't yell at me xD
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2016

Re: Comar Comet 910

you don't say where you are attempting to register the boat. where was he planning on sailing it did he own a lake. or big bath tube

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2016 Thread Starter

I have the reg from 2005. I am trying to register the boat in the same port as was currently registered (Toronto), he owned a pond and he was going to use it as a houseboat...not sure why, but I got it for a good price. he needed it gone. Reason he isn't using it anymore is because he underestimated the length of the boat in relation to his pond, that and I also don't think the keel would have cleared (6 foot keel). Canada is a good place to sail, just expensive with limited amounts of ports and the cost of storage.

Last edited by Richard Bugan; 06-10-2016 at 03:58 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2016
Just another Moderator

Is it truly 'registered'? ie.. in the Canadian Shipping Registry? or merely provincially licensed? (an old E number or an ON number) Licensing should be easy to roll over, but if it's blue book registered that's a bigger deal. Proving title could be an issue too.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2016 Thread Starter

It is registered, I need to figure out the bill of sale to prove ownership, I have to contact the seller and figure out just how he got it and back track. If it was legally "impounded" and the seller received it and just never registered there should hopefully be a paper trail. He lives right by a marina, I'm guessing that's where it came from, but I believe it has a proper registration.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2016 Thread Starter

I have bought cheap cars before and just had the current seller sign the ownership instead of getting the actual owner to sign it. Would this be the same case for this? Or would that be taken more seriously? The buying price was under $1000.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2016
Just another Moderator

It's not technically necessary to register this boat. You could just apply for a provincial license. Not sure about 'de registering' if it is in fact properly registered.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2016 Thread Starter

I just checked CPIC etc and it hasn't been reported stolen, the reg is good until 2017 as I also found online, now it seems I need to contact the actual owner.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.