Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006
Rail Dipper

railsunderinca is on a distinguished road
Cool Got slip - need 22-27' boat!

Name just came up for a slip (yes, years of waiting).
Need boat up to 27' (Trailer included would be nice) located in CA, OR, WA, NV, AZ.
Looking at Hunter, Catalina, Cal, Columbia and Ericson.

I've had tillers snap off Big Sur coast on 31' wood Tahiti catch (following seas & wind); knock down (real close but no cigar) off Pigeon Pt in wood 36' Choi Lee Lion (30' following seas & heavy wind - unintentionally caught wave); damn near sunk 27' home-made wood catch (no power) after 27 day "jaunt" to Hawaii; took knock down in plastic 21' ODay off coat of Guam (squal hit before I could reach sheet - "pilot error") and a multitude of other "mishaps" along the way due to equipmet or structural failures - snapped rudders, wisker poles, stays, etc. (and yes, a few "pilot errors".) Bottom line - I have a tendency to break boats.

I think I like Hunter and Catalina 27's. Never sailed either. Saw articles about Cat H2O ballast. Will it weather? Someone said NO.

I like hiked-in, heavy-weather, all-sheets-flying, rails-under-while tupperware fleet groupies are reefed-type sailing. But then, I like soft (not too) air, low swell,-don't spill my drink-salami & cheeze weather as well. You know, those days when you just want to cruise over to the Capitola Wharf, aanchor out and listen to the jazz band while enjoying a nice bottle of wine or a cold one on a warm summer day. That's not a Libra looking for a date kinda statement, it's just a statement. Married to 2nd degree black belt, thanks anyway sweetie. Just looking for a boat - in a hurry, that I can get in the water in the next 90 days - in Santa Cruz, CA. sunnysoquel@yahoo.com

Last edited by railsunderinca; 11-21-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Include length in title
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2006
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Try www.yachtworld.com. There are plenty of boats available.
Old 11-20-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Don't get the Cat with water ballast...get the older 27 without it or a new one without it! Used to own a Cat27...great boat...fast and easy on the helm.
Old 11-20-2006

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
Hey railsunderinca
can't help you with the boat question. But how long were you on the list for a slip? We have a 10 - 15 yr timeline plan of being on the west coast. On Nantucket, the mooring list for boats over 27 ft is about a lifetime. Just wondering if we should get on a list now for Santa Cruz. Thanks for any advice
Old 11-22-2006
Rail Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambianceack
Hey railsunderinca
can't help you with the boat question. But how long were you on the list for a slip? We have a 10 - 15 yr timeline plan of being on the west coast. On Nantucket, the mooring list for boats over 27 ft is about a lifetime. Just wondering if we should get on a list now for Santa Cruz. Thanks for any advice
Longer the boat the longer the wait. Probably about a year per foot I'm too old to for a big slip.
Old 11-24-2006

hjkarten is on a distinguished road
Suggest you look at a Norsea 27. Nominally trailerable, but a superb Lyle Hess design intended for offshore sailing. Extremely well built, very seaworthy. A friend did a solo to Hawaii and praised it highly. They are sometimes available for surprising reasonable prices (for the quality of construction and design). Not a speed demon, but it will reportedly handle anything that you choose to throw at it.

Similar to Taleisin of Pardey's fame. The Pardey boats were also designed by Lyle Hess.

We presently have a Tayana 37, and I can also recommend that highly, but it is larger than the size your were interested in finding.
regards,
Harvey Karten
Old 11-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you gave some indication of what your plans for the boat are, as well as what your budget is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-02-2006
Rail Dipper

for Sailingdog: You can visit General Discussions in the General Interest forum - http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...boat-fast.html

I kinda got carried away with my boat needs when challenged by a senior member who got on me for my spelling errors. See General Discussions / Need 22-27' strong boat- fast! - page 2.

I like a boat that can take a beating if necessary, but I also like to give someone a run for their money when a friendly chance encounter game of drag racing is at hand
Old 12-02-2006

ckalinski is on a distinguished road
catalina 27 needs slip

Hey railsunderinca

have catalina 27 and looking to upgrade. she is currently on the cheasapeake, but could relocate.
i have raced it and it does really well, especially with the current setup (3DL Genoa and racing main)

It's a great boat and we really enjoyed it. Only selling since we are getting a bigger boat.

good luck.
Chris
Old 12-04-2006
Rail Dipper

For Chris - What year? Got pics? Got trailer? Know boat hauler? And... did I mention I'm in Santa Cruz, CA. (left coast=) about 3,064 mi !!?