Endurance 35 information. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter

Endurance 35 information.

I've been looking at an Endurance 35 on sailboatlistings.com for the past couple weeks. The seller lists the boat as being built in 1980 but doesn't mention the builder's name (making me think it was a private builder). The seller states the hull is made up of Mahogany with fiberglass skin. That would be surprising since it seems the vast majority of these boats, especially privately built ones, are made from ferro-cement.

Does anyone have any experience with either a ferro-cement hulled boat or mahogany hulled boats? Anyone ever sail on an Endurance 35 that can tell me more about how she behaves? Things that i should advise a surveyor to check ( i can't myself, the boat is in maryland and i'm on the gulf coast). Anything else i might have missed?

I love the look of the boat and this particular one is cutter rigged rather than ketch. I'm looking for a very solid bluewater cruiser where speed is not nearly as important as safety and comfort. The endurance seems like a very solid boat from what i have read but there isn't too much information on them floating around.

ENDURANCE 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-22-2016
Just another Moderator

Re: Endurance 35 information.

Endurances were built in Fiberglass by the DeKleer brothers (of Fraser fame) near Vancouver. Many were sold as kits (hull/deck and/or hull only)

Not a particularly inspired design and if this is a homebuilt you really need to be 'eyes wide open' all the time. Glass-over-wood can work quite well (there are thousands of homebuilt Thunderbirds out there) but there's always a possibilities of delamination and separation.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 12 Old 06-22-2016

Text from sailboatdata.com

"A highly thought of long-distance cruiser that has been built of wood, steel, ferro and GRP by amateur and professional builders around the world.
Designed as a Cutter or Ketch."

post #4 of 12 Old 06-22-2016

The way I read that ad 1980 Endurance 35 sailboat for sale in Maryland
Is that it is wood covered with fiberglass cloth. I would make sure the survey includes moisture readings taken from wood under fiberglass. Delamination is one thing, but water ingress into the wood core would be a deal breaker for me. There is a glut of good boats out there and no sense taking undue risks with wood core boats.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 12 Old 06-22-2016
cdy

I looked at an Endurance once that was glass over wood - home finished I believe - did not have a lot of confidence in it given the fit and finish - also been aboard a ferrocement one - it was beautiful , extremely well done - so I guess it just depends, I would want to know the original builder before I invested in one.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-22-2016
Just another Moderator

That's the issue with any 'homebuilt'... You want one built by a very (multi) talented guy with full blown OCD.. not someone with the 'that'll do' mindset.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 12 Old 10-10-2016

I'm believe I'm looking to buy the same boat, in Maryland. And I too query this hull design. Why did you not buy it, please?
post #8 of 12 Old 11-12-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiguida View Post
I'm believe I'm looking to buy the same boat, in Maryland. And I too query this hull design. Why did you not buy it, please?
Plans to take a trip to Maryland to personally inspect the boat fell through. Given the price reduction of the boat and the result of the presidential election, i have moved up my time table and am planning to make a trip to Maryland again.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-12-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunesoul View Post
Plans to take a trip to Maryland to personally inspect the boat fell through. Given the price reduction of the boat and the result of the presidential election, i have moved up my time table and am planning to make a trip to Maryland again.
Good clean Boat needing (only) a motor seems well worth it good luck to someone. Looks extremely well trimmed inside.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-13-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

If I had to choose between ferrocement and glass sheathed wood on a 36 year old home build I know what my choice would be.

Ferro every time.

While repairing a double diagonal glass sheathed boat is possible finding someone willing to tackle it will be very difficult. This is technology from a bygone age.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.