27-30 ft daysailer with a fixed keel - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter

27-30 ft daysailer with a fixed keel

Hello everyone!

I am looking for options to create a list of sailboats that would fit my expectations/wants/needs.

I am going to sail around puget sound, Lake Washington, occasional (twice-three times a year weekend trip to SJI), but mostly daysailing, fast laps around the lake and such.

I would like a 27-30 ft in length. The interior does not concern me too much, but I would like a little more than barebones.

Fixed keel is a must, and possibly a hull that can plane.

Inboard diesel is a must.

Here comes the worst part, the budget is ideally under $100,000, but if I find the perfect boat I am able to go up to $130,000.

On my list I have so far:
-Catalina 275 Sport (not so sporty I read, but I have not had the chance to try it yet and the price tag is very attractive at around $80k)
-Pogo 30 (this would be nearly ideal, except it comes from France(?) and it is pricey to have it shipped here, as far as I heard)
Thank you all for the help and suggestions!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-22-2016

Re: 27-30 ft daysailer with a fixed keel

Are you determined to buy a new boat? With a budget like that, you are far more likely to get something you really like in the used market. Since you seem to want a sporty boat, the one that came to mind for me is the Beneteau First 30.

The one thing that is throwing me is the "hull that can plane" criterion. Some sailboats in that size range can under the right circumstances can get up on a bit of a plane, but I don't know of any that are really designed to do just that on a regular basis. Are you looking for the former or the latter?
post #3 of 22 Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Are you determined to buy a new boat? With a budget like that, you are far more likely to get something you really like in the used market. Since you seem to want a sporty boat, the one that came to mind for me is the Beneteau First 30.

The one thing that is throwing me is the "hull that can plane" criterion. Some sailboats in that size range can under the right circumstances can get up on a bit of a plane, but I don't know of any that are really designed to do just that on a regular basis. Are you looking for the former or the latter?
New or used does not matter as much to me, if it is within my budget new is best, but I don't mind buying a 2-3-4 year old boat.

About the planing, it should be able to plane in say a moderate breeze, and good circumstances. So not on a regular basis.

Thanks for your input!

post #4 of 22 Old 06-22-2016

Yeah, finding a boat that can plane is going to be tough. Since performance seems to be top priority, a race boat would seem to be where to look. So a J or Bene First would be where I would start.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-22-2016

How about a J/100, Morris M29 or Alerion Express 28?
post #6 of 22 Old 06-22-2016
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Co View Post
How about a J/100, Morris M29 or Alerion Express 28?
All very cool daysailers but I don't think any of them would be considered boats that would readily plane in a moderate breeze.

The more recent Jboats are more likely candidates, and there are a number of boats (mainly out of Europe like the Pogo) that have those characteristics as a design brief.

Temporarily out of production but for a North American project this one looked interesting...

The Left Coast Dart

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 22 Old 06-22-2016

Pogo 30 the perfect boat for you but going to be closer to 180k after shipping to PNW, two year waiting list
J-88 has inboard but slightly above your budget, Seascape 27 although outboard in a well
Elan 310 hard to find , Bene First 30 although they are both over 30'
First 30 in FL for 100k plus 10k to get to the PNW

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 22 Old 06-22-2016

I think the OP needs the clarify the importance of "being able plane" vs "more than a barebones interior". Most of the sport boats are really spartan inside and a boat with a half decent interior is not going to come close to planing.
olson34 likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I think the OP needs the clarify the importance of "being able plane" vs "more than a barebones interior". Most of the sport boats are really spartan inside and a boat with a half decent interior is not going to come close to planing.
A good example, from what I read and heard would be the Pogo 30.

For me the Beneteau First 30's level of interior is not really neccessary. Again take the Pogo for a good standard. I understand that it is out of my budget, I just wanted to know if there are any similar boats to the Pogo 30 that is available in the US. The J88 looks like a good fit as well.

Thanks for the great suggestions
post #10 of 22 Old 06-22-2016
4KSB driver.

Flying Tiger 10 is out apparently, as it has a moveable keel. It's also a saildrive (not sure that qualifies as "inboard").

A Benne First 30 planes? really?

Farr 30
Melges 32 (outboard I know)
C&C 30 OD

Of course no list would be complete without a MacGregor 26x, YES it planes easily... no it's not 27 feet. Yeah I know outboard.
I suppose you could include the Hunter 27E... it too planes. Yeah outboard I know.

Lets face it you didn't say planes under sail.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.