7Likes
  • 3 Post By SHNOOL
  • 1 Post By Stu Jackson
  • 2 Post By midwesterner
  • 1 Post By Lazerbrains

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-22-2016 Thread Starter

Boat Comparison - Cape Dorys

I'm looking at some boats and have been focused on Cape Dory's. I've been in touch with the Cape Dory Owners group but would like to hear the opinion of people on this board.

I've been looking at a couple of 1980's era Cape Dorys that fit my price range.

Two choices I've been considering are a Cape Dory 33/330 and a Cape Dory 36. Both are of similar condition, very good, ready to sail with only some TLC needed and upgrades that are optional and can be done over time and money and time allow.

Both would meet my sailing and family needs. We could be comfortable in either size. My biggest consideration is how they would vary to sail.

Pros and cons as I see it are:

Cape Dory 36:
PROS:
Longer LWL a little faster hull speed.
A little more room
More stable length
More room for times when my grown kids are aboard (rare).

CONS:
Larger heavier and less maneuverable
Slightly more cost for haul out and hull paint
Larger engine with fuel and maintenance costs
Slightly harder to single hand in docking.
More than enough room for two of us (most of the time)

Cape Dory 33/330

PROS:
Probably a better size for two
More maneuverable - manageable size
Easier sailing and docking single handed
Simpler engine - less fuel - cheaper maintenance.
Cheaper at haul out and hull refinishing

CONS:
slightly less stable.
More cramped when the kids are aboard (rarely)
Slightly slower hull speed

Are there other Pros and Cons that I am missing?
Are there likely to be any significant differences in sailing characteristics between the two lengths?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2016
4KSB driver.

Re: Boat Comparison - Cape Dorys

Buy them both... I'll take whichever one you decide isn't right for you

Oh to have those kinds of choices.
olson34, baywater and seabeau like this.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2016

These are both Alberg designs and are very similar. I don't think you will find that the 33 is any more maneuverable - they are both typical Alberg cutaway full keelers.

I would think it would really come down to how much space you need, and how much expense you want down the road. Smaller is always less expensive (slip fees, haulout, bottom paint, rigging, etc.)

36 is a cutter rig typically, if that makes a difference to you. For offshore, I would prefer the cutter.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-22-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
....I would think it would really come down to how much space you need, and how much expense you want down the road. Smaller is always less expensive (slip fees, haulout, bottom paint, rigging, etc.)

36 is a cutter rig typically, if that makes a difference to you. For offshore, I would prefer the cutter.

And the 33 was made in both a cutter and a sloop. Some of both are available.
Cost is a factor for me, both up front and long term. So thanks for the comments. The 33/330 would be big enough most of the time. It would probably be the rare occasion when I wished it were bigger. It's sort of like the mini-van I still have, now that my kids are grown. Most days I drive it all by myself and it's more vehicle than I need. Now and then I take the seats out and haul bags of soil and fertilizer home or help a friend move boxes. It'll be my last mini-van but there will be about 10 days a year when I'll wish I had one again.

I'm also looking at Sabre 34s a different boat, but one that would also meet my needs. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

The Sabre 34 has an offset prop. Does anybody know if that causes more pronounced prop-walk?

post #5 of 10 Old 07-22-2016

I learned to sail on a Cape Dory 28. Great boats. I don't think you'll find a huge amount of variation between how one full keel boat sails compared to another. They generally share the same strengths and weaknesses, ie excellent tracking and seakeeping, few if any keel and ballast issues, durability, well supported rudders, comfortable motion, etc. Of course you already know that they are less maneuverable, more difficult to reverse, don't point as high, etc. Basically they are all boats that are great at sea, not so great in port.

As for the offset prop on the Sabre...pretty sure a big part of the idea is to try to reduce prop wash over the rudder. Prop walk can actually be useful for maneuvering.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #6 of 10 Old 07-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I'm also looking at Sabre 34s a different boat, but one that would also meet my needs. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Buy a Catalina 34 and save a lot of $$$ laugh
seabeau likes this.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Buy a Catalina 34 and save a lot of $$$ laugh
Oh yeah, and have the keel fall off halfway to Nassau. ;-)
seabeau and Lazerbrains like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Oh yeah, and have the keel fall off halfway to Nassau. ;-)
Now that is a little harsh... it probably won't fall off, it will just SMILE all the way there.....

Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-23-2016

Have had 3 CDs 4 if you include a Harpoon. Never had a 33 but can say the 36' is a brick outhouse of a boat. Can say it has a secure non pukeogenic ride and although very narrow by current standards a liveable interior. Think 2'itis is very contagious and increase in volume is not linear. Therefore if you can at all swing it would go with th 36'. Perhaps Carl's best boat.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 10 Old 07-23-2016

Friend of ours is somewhere in the south pacific on a CD36 right now. No problems.
Good quality boat in general.
I wonder why someone felt a need to attempt to slander the Cat 34? While a few older Cat 30 keels had an attachment problem, I've not heard of a problem with the 34. That smile is quite repairable, on any make of boat... labor time and expertise... and of course some $$.
(We shopped a Catalina 34, among other brands, before finding our present boat -- full disclosure.)

Offset shaft angles have been used by C&C and others. Makes reversing "interesting". This was said to somewhat reduce torque steer going forward, but that could be just dock talk. Our boat's shaft is in line and this helps reversing and low speed maneuvering in general.

Anyhooooo... Those classic Cape Dory's are lovely boats, with high build quality.

Happy shopping,
Loren

ps: sorry to even comment on the post from the person about keels. Checking his (her?) bio, it's empty -- perhaps not a boat owner. Maybe just tossing out provocative comments to rile up the other inmates. Oh well.

Last edited by olson34; 07-23-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.