MD6A Value - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2016 Thread Starter

MD6A Value

I have an MD6A I want to sell, but I do not have any idea what it is worth. It was overhauled 90 hours ago and runs well. Includes everything that came out of my Islander 28; muffler, alternator, prop and shaft, transmission, wiring harness, all gauges in panel, all cables and controls. Anybody have an idea what the selling price might be.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2016
░░░░░░░░░░

Re: MD6A Value

Very roughly? Maybe half of what a new replacement (Beta? Kubota?) would cost, max. Optimistically. If someone needs to replace an MD6A and, most important, the condition of yours and whether they are local to inspect it and the cost of shipping it, if not.

Raw or closed water use, the condition of the water intake passages (often rusted out or thinned on old Volvos with raw water), what the mechanic did and what kind of shape the engine is in...basically whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it, and without warranties, that may be a limited market. Also a slow one.

The more work you put into advertising it, the better chance of a higher faster sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
Burgie (08-15-2016)
post #3 of 4 Old 08-14-2016
baDumbumbum

We're contemplating replacing the MD6A on our Albin Ballad, so I can give you one potential buyer's mental 'spreadsheet'.

Replacing with a newer or overhauled Volvo Penta would be an easy solution, especially an MD6 or 7. We know they fit the space, minimal engine bed work would be required, same control panels, cabling, etc. Much would depend on what you mean by 'overhauling': full tear down and re-man by a qualified diesel technician? Few hours spent with some JB Weld and a can of Krylon? Has the MD6 been upgraded to fresh water cooling? What's the compression like?

OTOH, some of the reasons for pulling our MD6 would not be addressed by dropping in another one. They are still old engines, & most ran salt water thru the blocks for many years. They are terribly underpowered for their weight and have trouble pushing a 30'er in wind or chop. They aren't very fuel efficient, have generally poor access to impeller, dipsticks, and filters, and can be hard to start in cold weather (no glow plugs). Alternator is too small, and most still use the Dynastart magneto as started/secondary charger. Parts are very hard to find and staggeringly expensive; there is no parallel supply chain like you get with Universals, Yanmars, or marinized Kubotas. The parts problem is magnified in remote locations.

So I guess I would consider dropping up to $3200 on a professionally remanned MD6 with FWC and 2-yr warranty. Asking price higher than that, I'd be tempted to swap over to a used/rebuilt Yanmar ~18hp and just do the necessary to make it fit. That would be good up to $5000 or so. Above that, I'd step up to a new Nanni or Beta and install it myself, hopefully keeping the price down to around $8-9k.

Buccaneer18, Grainnia
SJ21, Diarmuid
Albin Ballad 30, Fionn
The Following User Says Thank You to bobmcgov For This Useful Post:
Burgie (08-15-2016)

post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2016 Thread Starter

Hellosailor: Thanks for your helpful information.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.