Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006

BADG is on a distinguished road
Centerboard Recs

Until recently I had not given CB's much consideration but I have a standing offer to rent private dock space. The location and $$ for this particular dock space is worth considering in the decision and process of buying a boat. The problem is that deep water is limited so I thought a CB would be the way to go. From what I've been reading CB's are not the enormous compromise I thought they would be but my knowledge on specifics is limited.

Any centerboard models that stand out as particularly well made, functioning and performing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2006

Any input on the Scheel Keel would also be appreciated. Is this a good idea gone wrong, a looks better in theory than in practice kind of thing.

I notice Tartan 33's use them and that combined with a cored hull makes me weary.
Old 12-06-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
take a look at the Freedom Cat/Ketch, most have CB's...

Making a decision on what boat to buy based on a good deal at a dock is a new one on me.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-06-2006

Yeah I know it sounds dumb and it wasn't my original plan but dockage/moorings are slim to none and expensive. I'm not sure I'm changing my plan yet but looking into what it would mean to do so hence the inquiry about Keel/CB's and Scheel Keels.
Old 12-06-2006
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Centerboards

There are a few manufactures out there who have been building centerboarders for decades....Bristol, Hinckley, Tartan, Morgan Etc...
I own a Tartan 37 with a board, draft is 4'-2" and she can sail quite well with-out the board down. The CB gives her pointing ability, but no noticable stabilty gain.
If money is a great concern, look at an older Tartan 34 or a Morgan 34, both only draw about 3 1/2 feet with the board up.
Old 12-06-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ehmanta gives you good advice. The only only thing I would say about a wing keel is that you will need good towing insurance cause when you go aground you will be there till the tow boat comes along! I would much prefer a shoal draft long fin keel or K/CB boat if you need to get in and out of skinny water.
Old 12-06-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
center boards

I own a centerboard that draws 4 feet and 9 with the board down. I have taken the boat offshore and she sails like a demon upwind. 99% of the time, the board is almost up,( will drop the board down a foot or so to close up the hole and present a more fluid shape to the water). When in skinny water the board gets pulled all the way into the trunk. While a winged keel is probably a better way to acomplish shallow draft from a mechanical standpoint, those times when wanting to point up high are fun but I am not sure it is worth it. My boat was built with a 5 foot draft keel and no centerboard and I have considered that keel modification at times. I suppose the prevailing depth in your cruising grounds are a big factor in determining your decision.
Pigslo
Old 12-07-2006

The decision to be made is A) travel further to marina (45-60 minutes) but not be overly concerned with skinny water or B) have real close boat storage that is affected by skinny water and may require shoal draft.

I am looking for a 28-34 footer to daysail, w/ overnites and week long cruises a handful of times during a season. I don't want spartan accomodations but I don't need a condo at the sacrifice of performance either. I'm considering Sabre, S2, CS, Tartan, C&C and Pearson simply because I have limited experience on each. Sabre and Tartan are in the forefront due to companies still in business and rabid owner support. Would love a Sabre 34 w/ CB but may be too pricey.

I have an eye on a Tartan 33 but as I mentioned previously cored hulls and a scheel keel (no experience with one) concern me. Anybody with experience with this boat care to weigh in?
Old 12-11-2006
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
cored hulls

Yes, sometimes the coring can get water infiltration. My Tartan has partial coring only in large panel areas. The areas subjected to impact or where structural members are joined is solid glass. Also the outer skin of fiberglass is quite significant, the wood core just adds a bit more stiffness. Long story short, Tartan knows how to core a hull. I am not experienced sailing a scheel keel, but Tim Jackett (Tartans in house designer) still designs with them on their shallow draft boats so they must be efficient, at least better than a wing.
Old 12-11-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADG
Until recently I had not given CB's much consideration but I have a standing offer to rent private dock space. The location and $$ for this particular dock space is worth considering in the decision and process of buying a boat. The problem is that deep water is limited so I thought a CB would be the way to go. From what I've been reading CB's are not the enormous compromise I thought they would be but my knowledge on specifics is limited.

Any centerboard models that stand out as particularly well made, functioning and performing?
I don't know what you want to spend but Tartan has always made good use of the CB. You could find an older 37 in the 50s or 60s with recent and bigger models going way up from there.