Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Dismasted by a bridge

I have the opportunity to pick up a 36' Columbia that was dismasted by a bridge. Asking price is less than slip fees. I'm trying to decide if she's worth considering. If she's in otherwise sound condition, I might just put a new stick on her and be out sailing.

A few concerns, though. First, does anybody know, ballpark, how much it'll cost to put a new mast on her? I expect I'll need the spar, the spreaders, and tangs. I'm hopeful that masthead lights, halyards, and wiring is ok. Likewise, I would expect some of the shrouds to be ok. I expect I'll have to replace the forestay and maybe the RF gear. I also expect to take a good hard look at all the standing rigging attachment points. Anything else I should look out for, given the injury?

Oh, the gent who previously owner her misread the chart, thinking he was in a 30' channel with 100' of bridge clearance. Oops, wait, reverse that....

The tidal flow carried the boat all the way under the bridge and folded the rig over.

Your thoughts will be appreciated!

Cheers,
Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2006

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Not that I've seen too many of these boats, post bridge confrontation, but there was always one thing in common among them - the mast and rigging were not to only issues i.e., damage, which resulted.
I'd pay close attention to the stringers, chainplates and any signs of hull flexing as well as obvious collateral damage. Good luck with her
Old 12-07-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Start at the mast and follow the strucural componets from there. Mast, step, whatever structure the step is attached with, chainplates, bulkhead where chainplates are attached, or hull where chainplates are attached, tabs on bulkheads....
Old 12-07-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Yup. Like pigslo says, the impact will continue to do damage to everything the resulting shock was transmitted into. Bulkhead tabbing may have separated, the deck may have been damaged at the hull joint, the chainplates and rig anchor points (fore and aft) may have tried to tear out. You can assume all the standing rigging may have been stressed past working load and *must* be replaced, along with the fittings. (Or be an optimist and say "that still looks good", your choice.)
The mast seat may have moved, or torn free if it was secured. Mast partners at the deck, of course. I'd guess a new mast and rigging parts will run you an easy $12-15000, they aren't cheap, and once they exceed 40' long, they aren't readily *shipped* anyplace either.
Someplace like RigRite or one of the other sparmakers can give you better numbers. Odds are it has been surveyed and a repair cost already tallied up, or they just stopped at "Yeah, that's already over book value".
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Because I have seen it for real (not on my boat but on a close friends boat). Here is my small contribution.

DO NOT REUSE any standing rig from the original mast, including shrouds, turnbucles, etc. OK to use the furler, but you will need a new genoa track as the original might be bent (or sections of it).

The spreaders might be OK and you can save money by reusing them.

Check: All attachments for shrouds, back stay, stay and back stay, from the inside. Check for cracks and tears. If the mast is steped look at base and post, if it is not steped look for damage in deck thru hole.
Runing rig ok to use.

So excluding boat repairs you just need the mast and shrouds. At least $10.000.
Old 12-07-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"OK to use the furler, " Would you really trust the bearings and swivels in a furler after a bridge had tried to rip it off a boat?

All he needs is to find the same model boat, with the hull punched by a storm, and transfer the rigging. (Easier to buy the winning lottery ticket, I suspect. A shame there's no national listing of "we've got half a boat from..." to make that simpler.)
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Well, yes!! I would.
The stress on the furler is minimal as the cable inside it took the beat, unless that furler is "different".

And besides, even if the bearings were damaged, new ones are easily replaceable.
Old 12-07-2006

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Phil,
A buddy of mine just purchased a mast for a 33 ft.Morgan for $7500.00 this included all shrouds and stays,plus all the running rigging, roller furling for both the headsail and main,wiring for the anchor and steaming lights, plus VHF.
On another note some of the older Columbia's have a cored hull, something else you may want to inspect carefully.
Bill,
Old 12-07-2006

Bill

was the mast new??
Old 12-07-2006

billangiep is on a distinguished road
The mast was as new... but was previously rigged for an Island Packet. For what ever reason it was never installed ?
Bill,