Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006

rbs is on a distinguished road
Buying a Hallberg-Rassy Multihull

Lets assume for a minute that Hallberg-Rassy builds brilliant yachts. Those yachts are purchased by a certain demographic, now entertain that 50% of that demographic prefer multihulls over monohulls, who would be the manufactuer of choice for those people?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hallberg Rassy may make a nice boat, but they don't really know squat about multihulls. The design of a multihull is completely different from that of a traditional monohull...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I think rbs is asking who builds a multi that is comparable in quality to a HR. I'm not sure there is one without going custom.
Old 12-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Leopard is one choice...for large ones, look at Gunboat catamarans... they're gorgeous...and fast. These are both semi-custom builders...actually Gunboat may be only custom...but I'm not in the market for one, so I can't be sure. A great video of a Gunboat 62 is located on this website.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-10-2006
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Cruising Catamaran

The older I get, the more interested I become in a cruising catamaran. When I retire I would like to do so on a 45' cat.

Unfortunately, no one even comes close to making one that interests me. At least not yet. The closest I've seen so far is the Outremer 45. It's fast and sleek, but it's still burdened with the 'charter yacht' mentality.

1. Massive areas of frameless plexiglass.
2. Cheap, condo-like interiors - not rugged or seakindly.
3. Cockpits that hold more water than some swimming pools.
4. Cheapo sliding glass doors or cheapo doors held on by three hinges.
5. Energy hogging systems designed for a 'party boat'.
6. Awful fit and finish work.

The list goes on and on. Bottom line: A great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

The problem with buying a custom model is the mega-price and the mega-time required to completely redesign the systems and interior. I would require watertight doors, for example. Imagine what *that* would cost!
Old 12-10-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Phyllis...you just suggested on another thread that someboody buy a catamaran for a fast passage around Cape Horn and the entire southern ocean. Here you claim that the BEST catamaran you've ever seen is completley unsuitable----so which is it...suitable for around the world or too cheap to even consider?
Old 12-11-2006
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Phyllis...you just suggested on another thread that someboody buy a catamaran for a fast passage around Cape Horn and the entire southern ocean. Here you claim that the BEST catamaran you've ever seen is completley unsuitable----so which is it...suitable for around the world or too cheap to even consider?
Sorry. I lost track of the original poster's comment (didn't see anything about Cape Horn).

Many production, and semi-custom cats, are fully capable of world cruising. No question. And I don't need to tell anyone that the Outremer 45 can make a fast passage.

In this context, when I speak of seaworthiness, I'm not thinking that the Outremer 45, or similar sleeker models are going to fall apart or capsize. I'm referring to the condo-like interior and exterior layouts - just like I said.

Take a good look at the "entry doors" of some of the best sellers. So what happens if one of those huge plexiglass sliding doors comes flying off its flimsy tracks in a storm? You get wet, very wet. You don't sink. Not with two hulls.
Even with a huge cockpit full of water, you're not gonna sink. But who wants to retire aboard a cruiser like that? No me. I wouldn't have a door like that on my house, let alone a "world cruiser".

They're made to sell to the Island hopping, party-hardy crowd. I understand that. I'm one myself. What makes them attractive are the washer/dryers, the home-style refrigerators, the huge 1970's era circular sofas (with bright red fabric), and the other Hugh-Hefnerish accoutrements. Perfect for a vacation.

As the market grows, the 40-45' models will become more refined. It's just a matter of time. When I reach retirement age, they'll be one wating for me. It will have a fridge that opens from the top, and watertight doors. It will have stainless steel opening ports and no plexiglass. It won't look anything like a flying saucer sitting on two canoes.
Old 12-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Phyllis...understood. Cats are becoming vastly more popular as cruising platforms so I understand the choice. There are advantages and disadvantages vs. monohulls and I won't stir that pot again here.
Would suggest you take an ocean trip to windward in one before you settle on buying one for ocean cruising. For Coastal/Caribe etc. they have a lot of appeal...but several friends of ours who love their cats and have sizeable ones...all complain about getting beat up pretty well even in moderate seas...Still they wouldn't choose anything but a cat.
Old 12-12-2006

Ardvark5 is on a distinguished road
Its funny you should ask that. I was originally looking at HR, Malo, Najad etc monohulls and then went for a cat instead. I know several other people who went along the same lines of thought, and all ended up with the same cat manufacturer: Broadblue. Several people have actually said to me 'if HR etc made a cat, it would be similar to a Broadblue'.

I think the philosophies are similar: first take a seaworthy design that will take anything thown at it. The look at fitting out with the highest standard of woodwork etc. Then look at getting the best performance. Dont sqeeze every bit of space into the hull(s) to make them 'over inflated'

(personally I'd prefer a Malo or Najad to a HR, but that is a different story)