SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Brent Swain 36

18K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Doug Simpson 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience of sailing a Brent Swain 36? We have seen one on the hard and she looks pretty sea worthy however we have no technical specs for the boat and can''t seem to find anyone with any information on them. Any leads would be appreciated - we are looking for a tough well behaved blue water cruiser.

#2 ·
Do a google search under Origamiboats and pick the first one ( yahoo groups ) Al the info you need there and great chatline.
Roughly 200 of those boats are either being built or are under construction. They have been well proven in hundreds of thousands of miles of cruising in all conditions including several circumnavigations. One pounded for 16 days in 8 to 12 ft surf on the west coast of the Baja and was pulled off thru similar sized surf ,being lifted and dropped every wave, on sand too hard to leave a footprint on , with zero damage. Another pounded across 300 yards of Fijian Coral reef leaving Suva , in big surf, then was pulled back over the reef by a tug, all with minimal damage. Later, the same boat collided with a freighter in Gibralter, with no serious structual damage. You can read about it in the skipper, Don Shore's book " Around the world in Viski" available at Harbour Chandlers in Nanaimo.
The 36 is 35ft 5 inches on deck, 10 ft 6 inches beam, 5ft 10 inches draft empty with the single keel, or 4 ft with twin keels , 5700lbs keel weight including steel, 18000 lbs empty, carries a 47 ft mast, has 3/16ht hull plate, 11 gauge decks, cabin, cockpit wheelhouse and rudder, 1/4 inch keel plate and 1/2 inch keel bottom and leading edge. She is extremely well balanced , with good hull balance. There are plenty of them cruising the BC coast.

#5 ·
"I'm going to guess the OP might have found a boat by now... "

Or might still be building one?

Brent, if some 200 of them are in progress right now, how many of them have actually been commissioned and are out sailing? After 10+ years...one would expect over five hundred afloat if they are being finished. Or...? Any idea?

#6 ·
200 total rough guestimate, based on the number of plans I've sold and the number of photo they have sent me, including started and sailing. I've personally pulled together 36 of them and others have done a similar number.
Best not leave a question unanswered.

#8 ·
Most have been completed as I designed her in 81. I have no idea of how many are still under construction, but all the 36 I've built are sailing, most have been for many years, some for decades. Once I sell the plans and get a bit of feedback, I have no way of keeping track of all of them.

#9 ·
Well, Some could be still getting built. Took my Step-dad 30 some odd years to build a B Garden designed plywood Sea-bird yawl, a 75th anniversary plan of the original for Rudder back in the 70's.......

There could be some still being built, or junked by know too! we will hope none of the latter tho!

marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.