Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Valiant 42 Diesel

Why do Valiant 42s, with a diplacement of 24,500 pds dry, come standard with a 42hp Westerbeke engine?

We're looking at a used Valiant as a possibility for our next boat, but have heard many negative comments about those red-painted Westerbeke diesels, and feel that 42hp would be underpowered.

On the other hand, they can't be *that* bad or Valiant wouldn't be using them.

Is there such a thing as a "general consensus of opinion" among mechanics as to who makes the best diesel?

Yanmar? Perkins? BUKH?

Obviously none of them are immune from breakdowns, but there must be one that is less so? Or one that typically requires less maintenance? Or runs cleaner?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2006

georgellop is on a distinguished road
... builders decisions are restricted by economic realities and/or dictated by the original owners request and available options at the time of construction.

When choosing a replacement propulsion engine you need to evaluate the initial purchase price, the cost and availability of spares, and the engine service network in your cruising area.

Consult with owners of engines from the major manufacturers. Ask about reliability, reoccurring repair issues and the price of the basic repair/maintenance items i.e. salt water pump, fresh water pump, injectors and consumables like filters.

Good luck.

BETAMARINE
DIESEL PROPULSION & GENERATORS
Mobile: (786) 443 5567
Fax: (786) 221 3986

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Phyllis...we had a 25K lb. boat powered by a 44HP yanmar and it motored over 7Knots. I don't think 42HP is underpowered at all for a Valiant.
As to engines...most get good reviews...I do hear negative things about getting Volvo's fixed though.
Old 12-14-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Practical Sailor did a review on the V42 last issue. I thought the engine was undersized - then again, the new low rpm engines have more power then their older counterparts. Also, the article did say that there was a 52 hp upgrade option. We used to have a Yanmar 44 in our 40' 22k lb boat and recently upgraded to a Yanmar 54. It's really almost too much for the boat - at wot on calm water it pushes our bow up/stern down and actually makes a wake. Then again, too much power is rarely a bad thing in a boat.
Old 12-14-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
If you are concerned about the engine or any specifics of the boat, get the hull number and call: (903) 523-4222. It is the number for Valiant (Cedar Mills is where they make them). Just ask for service. I believe Chris is the site manager, but you could ask for Steve (over service, x239). Steve is new but can point you on. They will answer your questions and give you straight talk about what is good and bad.

Really great people and great boats. I know many of them personally. They will be upfront with you on any issues they have encountered.

- CD
Old 12-14-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I second 'Dads opinion, they are very good people.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-14-2006
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
At some point adding more power will not increase boat speed. I would check this out with the Valiant design people. However, a boat with the displacement of the Valiant would probably benefit from more horses especially in adverse wind and sea conditions.
Old 12-14-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
My Swan 41 has a similar displacement with only a 37 hp engine. Maybe it could use a little more power but it drives the booat fine. It is certainly not enough of a problem to justify a change. As far as brands of potential replacements, it has a Perkins but my best experience has been with a Yanmar.

Last edited by CBinRI; 12-14-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Phyllis, last time I heard it, there was no such thing as a Westerbleak [sic] engine. They put out contract bids for various pieces, then bolt up an engine from them. The pieces may change from time to time as the bidders make better offers. And when it is all slapped together, WB paints it all red--including the rubber belts and hoses, whose makers say DO NOT PAINT RUBBER IT CAUSES DETERIORATION.

But, WB likes a pretty red engine and the competitive bidding thing means they are often the cheapest supplier, which is all that a lot of people want to know.

Me? I just figure anyplace where the painters outweigh the engineers, is someplace I don't want to buy motors from.
Old 12-14-2006

FritzN is on a distinguished road
I just talked to a V42 owner about this.

Just last month I asked a V42 owner, who has been continuously cruising the Caribbean for some time, if he felt that the V42 was underpowered. He emphatically answered, "absolutely not." (His boat was not for sale, so he had no reason to not tell me the truth.)

The reason that I asked him the question was that I had heard that the rule of thumb was "2 HP for every 1,000 pounds of displacement."

When I asked the factory how often buyers upgraded to the larger horsepower engine, I was told that it almost never happens.

V42's are cruising all over the world, and everyone says they're great. I would think that, if they were underpowered, we'd hear complaints on forums such as this one. (In the past, I've searched and read ever single entry on this board with the word "Valiant" in it, and I don't recall any mention of the issue.)