What would you buy for $100,000? - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 131 Old 09-16-2008
Banned

Invest wisely

Originally Posted by SHIMSHON
2500 shares of Bank of New York!! Then with the profits buy my boat for $195,000.

Ignore that advice... Just look at merl Lynch and worst lehman...lol....

IMHO- any boat is an investment in life style and not purse... Buy what you can afford to purchase, maintain and most importantly use for family enjoyment...

Best of luck and enjoy.. Make memories with your family! A much better investment then investing in the bank of new york...
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 131 Old 09-16-2008

Hookers and blow.
Or I might suggest buying my lovely 23 columbia if I could bare to part with it for such a paltry sum.
post #103 of 131 Old 09-16-2008

I poked around in a Bendytoy 31 at the Toronto boat show, it is really sexy in person. I wonder if Beneteau is using this design for all future models, because I love it. Now if only they would put a real lead keel on it. No complaints about the rest of the boat, it seems to be a quality boat. Except the cabin sole seems a little cheaply made.

I also poked around in a Hunter 27x, it's not a boat I'm interested in but it has the same interior layout as the boats I am interested in, and it has plenty of room inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
post #104 of 131 Old 09-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Catalinas:
Catalinas are common as dirt on the Chesapeake. They are everywhere! Of the big three boat manufacturers, this is my least favorite in all ways. Still Catalina has a strong following and are easy to find. While they would never be on my list for myself, they clearly work for others.
Jeff
You obviously gave this a lot of thought.
What exactly takes the Catalina off your short list?
post #105 of 131 Old 09-25-2008

Is the stripper pole on the Hunter 27 an option or standard equipment?

For $100k I would be looking at Dehlers, Sabres and Oysters...unfortunately the ones I like are up to about $150k. No matter, I'm not buying 'em at $100k so why stop there.

Last edited by Sonofasonofasailor; 09-25-2008 at 10:21 AM.
post #106 of 131 Old 10-03-2008

What to buy

Hi

I know this will probably get me kicked off of the forum but If I was going to spend 100k US I would invest in a Jim Brown Searunner. Not heard of them well they are Trimarans now I know this is akin to recommending devil worship but consider the following.

I cruise in the Hauraki Gulf in New Zealand. For about 50k of your US dollars I have just bought a 37' boat which can be beached when I want, has 4 permanent double bunks, a salon where I can sit and look out at the scenery. It cruises happily at 5-6 knots in any wind and will happily tootle along at 7-12 knots with little drama when the wind gets stiffer. If you drop the centerboard it will appear to point within 30 degrees of wind but when I checked on the GPS chart it was only 54 degrees which is not too bad. I haven't played with the 10' of main traveler but would anticipate we could improve if we used that. Everybody sits at least 8' from the water in a center cockpit. There is enough deck space to have a garden party and Tramps to lie and watch the dolphins. All in all I'm very pleased and consider it the best bang for buck I could buy.

I will be honest in that it does have one major flaw which may prove a deal buster in that berthing it's 20' of width may be a problem, fortunately I was able to find nice berth for about $US 30 a week.

Think hard before you dismiss these boats your hard earned cash is just that and you should get the most boat for your money. Coming late to sailing and with no preconceived ideas about what is a proper sailing boat, this was a no brainer. Particularly when I talked to a friend and he had been out in hurricane winds in a sister boat with waves breaking over the 45' mast.

It also sails reasonably easily single handed as I am 6'4 and am over 300lbs and I cope with no problem by myself.

Kind regards
post #107 of 131 Old 10-03-2008
Telstar 28

Welcome Alistair57-

Always good to have another trimaran sailor aboard...

You're talking about one of these beasties.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #108 of 131 Old 10-03-2008

how bout a nice island packet? i saw there motor sailer 32 at the norwalk ct show, that was a nice boat thought i was in a motor yacht with all the room and th pilot house

What's a signature?????
post #109 of 131 Old 10-03-2008
Telstar 28

Umm... maybe you didn't read the OP of this thread, but the question is what you would buy if you had $100,000. Did you check the price on the IP SP... it's a good deal higher than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
how bout a nice island packet? i saw there motor sailer 32 at the norwalk ct show, that was a nice boat thought i was in a motor yacht with all the room and th pilot house

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #110 of 131 Old 10-03-2008
I don't discuss my member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiben View Post
Hookers and blow.
Or I might suggest buying my lovely 23 columbia if I could bare to part with it for such a paltry sum.
lol, so you have hookers and blow inside your columbia 23? Now it all makes sense! The 100k is a steal!

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.