Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2001

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
What would you buy for $100,000?

Ahoy, Jeff I understand your confusion about my comments when I went back and re-read your initial reply and the question to which you put your considerable experience. Possibly its what you don''t say sometimes that got on my nerves. Sailing is not about speed or performance or money. Sailing is not about blisters or ventilation or how deep the water is. A sailor can buy the most miserable performing blister eaten rusted hulk for 100,000 dollars and be happy. All the rest is just salesmanship and egos. I poked you in the side so to speak about the Dickerson''s and the Chesapeake because I thought your comments to narrow. You have a great following here at sailnet and I thought to remind you that not everyone has to follow the pied pipers of the industry or even should. Let me ask you a question , which of the boats on your list are 2001 models of any of the companies you mentioned? My mom used to wash out my diapers in the Chesapeake in 1956 so I''d say I have as much local experience with the bay as anyone. My point about keels and water depth was that the Chesapeake is not on scale a shallow water bay . Possibly I was ignorant about the 7 foot and winged keels you mentioned which were prevelant in the industry at the time? ? I thought the original question meant new not what you can afford in the used market. My point being if you can''t buy a new sailboat with a hundred thousand dollars what is the point? My point is Dickersons were and are great crusing boats. My point is crusing is not about speed or ratings or getting what you can out of a boat. But hey thats just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2001

macphergus is on a distinguished road

This is a great dialog - I am "in the same boat", looking for a Chesapeake cruiser, sometimes going down the coast. I''ve got a bead on a Hunter 375 - I''ll let you know how it goes.

MacPhergus
Old 12-24-2001

EtherCat is on a distinguished road

I once spent 3 weeks crewing aboard a Dickerson 37'' center cockpit ketch... fell in love with it after the first 24 hours, and that experience was my primary reason for choosing a center cockpit ketch as my next boat
Old 12-31-2001

BarryLevy is on a distinguished road

Found a great 1986 Tayana 37. Question...with the light air in Newport Beach, California and that my next purhase will be for coastal crusing is this the right choice? It does have a 50 Perkins, so that under power might be OK (Newport to Catalina Island is 70% under power and 30% under sail). Great condition and equipment and under $100,000. It is located in Northern California.

Some are telling me to go to a faster and easlier-maintence production boat.

Any ideas?
Old 12-31-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quite a few of T37s in the SD area make the trip regularly. Like any boat a fair bottom, smoothly applied bottom paint and precise sail shaping will keep a T37 sailing in light conditions. For super light winds many T37 sailors simply drop the staysail and use a large genoa for enhanced light air performance, as the stays''l set under a jib becomes very tricky to correctly set when going upwind. A feathering prop will make LOTS of difference in upwind light air sailing. A cruising spinnaker is of real benefit. The boom on a T37 is quite heavy and you really need to play the boom topping lift and main traveller, just as you would do on any heavy boat with a large spread of sail. Consider to join and ''drop-in'' to the Tayana eMail discussion group here on Sailnet, and pose your questions there.
Old 12-31-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road

Jeff H is the expert of experts and I mean that but he I know a few C&C''s better than he knows every boat in the world. Most of the C&C''s are not "on off". They are production boats made for the general racer / cruiser market at that time.

If I had the money I would buy that C&C 37 CB mentioned right here. I had a chance for one at $50K. They seem to be going up in price and not down. That is a special boat. I don''t think Jeff H knows that boat well. They only draw 5'' and will go like heck. Nice rod rigging and a tall stick. It''s a sailors boat.

This is not to say that the Express 37 is not a great boat but like it was pointed out it draws a lot.

Old 01-29-2002

Lahr is on a distinguished road

Pity that no one has mentioned a Mark 1 Sabre 38. If you know this boat you will know how big the oversight! Good luck. What a trove of valuable information has been accumulated! Jack
Old 01-31-2002

Raindance is on a distinguished road

For your cruising area, just about any boat will do. To steal a quote from author Don Casey, "buy the boat that makes your heart sing."
Old 01-31-2002

a1line is on a distinguished road

Please go to the " www.a1line.com "
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Heck, where did this come from?

Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-18-2006 at 10:45 PM.