Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
First, I'd buy some booze, then, some broads...

then I'd blow the rest.
The first part is certainly a cost-effective way to rock back and forth.

But I'm curious what you'd do with the rest.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swo104
Hi all, I''m looking to buy a cruiser for the Chesapeke bay. I have about $100,000 to spend. I''m not planning to race, but I may be interested in cruising down the ICW in the off season.
I''m interested in knowing what everyone''s out there recommends, also knowing that I would prefer something in the 34-40 foot range.
There is a '87 Hallberg-Rassy 352 in Annapolis advertised on Yachtworld for $115,000. That would be on my list to check out if I had $100k buring a hole in my pocket.
Old 09-19-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Even though the original post is 5 years old, it speaks volumes of where new entrants in this hobby and old sailors stand both then and today. If you have 100k to spend on a boat and are new to the hobby, you are NOT ready to buy. Put your money in the bank and go out and charter every weekend with the interest on your money. Fly to places unknown and sail on other boats. Find a freind that owns an old boat and always working on it and crawl around in the bilge handing him wrenches (you will learn something about construction). Learn a little about the systems on a boat in general terms....sails, rigging, engine,anchor, electrical.... After you have done all that then ask the question.
While that seems like a lot of effort, when you are done you can evaluate the answers that come from the many blowhards on this and other boards as valid or bullsh*t.

I am not sure why anyone would ask a bunch of strangers with no stake in the outcome how to spend 100k anyways. Can anyone way in that took advice on how they spent their money after relying on strangers and how did it all turn out?

There, I feel better now, if I can just get down off this soapbox without busting my arthritic a**.

pigslo
Old 09-19-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
But don't you see Pigslo? That is what makes Sailnet so completely entertaining and hilarious. I do wonder if the guy just gave up and bought a Horse.
Old 09-19-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
But I still think $100k on booze and broads is excessive and probably downright unhealthy.

pigslo, nice rant. I totally get what you're saying and I, personally, intend to take my time buying a boat (if ever). However, I'm no longer between 10 and 50, so my time to "mess around" and explore all of the aspects of the sport are limited to a decade of weekends and (hopefully) a long retirement that includes a lot of time on the water.

It's like you only see old farts driving Ferraris at 55 mph. By the time you can afford to buy the good toys, it's too late to truly appreciate them. However, by the time I'm ready to buy a boat, those going for $100k today may be around $20k, so it's never too early to start the research.
Old 09-20-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
but seriously folks, it'd be a Valiant 40 (just cuz)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-20-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
If anyone is advising someone on how to spend a given amount on a used boat don't forget to tell them to subtract 20 percent from their budget for repairs, updates and upgrades. Even for a new boat you'll be dropping a fair stack for life preservers, flares, and other stuff you will need if it's your first boat.
Old 09-20-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
While it would be foolish to buy any given boat, just because a bunch of strangers say it's the "right" boat, if they give thoughtful and concise reasons for that boat, it can be a good learning tool for the uninitiated. For those who didn't grow up around sailing and sailboats, the learning curve can be daunting. And though some questions may seem silly to the experienced, that isn't necessarily so for the person asking. As the saying goes,....there's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers.

It seems like the focus now days is more on ridiculing the poster, than giving usable advice.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PBzeer; 09-20-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
No ridicule toward the poster whatsoever. I gave sound advice on a process that would get them to a place to make their own educated decision on how to spend 100k. The post is 5 years old so we are talking 125k now in 2001 dollars. Not an amount to spend on the advice of strangers that all have no stake in the outcome and cannot possible know the buyers agenda adequatley. Yes the process I laid down was a bit more involved then just writing a check, but even a shortened version of what I sugest will yield better results then asking this forum. Of course the buyer could always get the boat dart board from West Marine. You know the one that has all the brands and ages and prices.

pigslo
Old 09-20-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
and I'd still buy the booze....
for the broads.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs