Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2006

dave88 is on a distinguished road
Smile Buying a Yorktown 39'

Ahoy to all,
I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading many of the threads. there is a wealth of info here that I have not been able to find in many of the sailing forums that I have checked out.
I have some experience sailing but has been a few years(10 +) am going to be taking some more coarses in the spring, But on to the point. I am looking for a liveaboard/cruiser and have come across the yorkton 39's that I am intrested in, but have not been able to find any recent info on. I wonder if anybody has any input, good or bad. I have found that most are a deep draft 6' + which can be a bit of a draw back, But at 39' are more than big enough for my son and I to live on comfortably. As I said any input would be nice.Would like to spend a few seasons in the PNW and then on to ???
Thanks Dave
PS: Or any sugestions on what you think would be a better Boat(About $60000 budget for initial purchase)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007

Dao is on a distinguished road
Hey Dave,

I've checked out the Yorktowns myself. They are hard to find information about. One I looked at was very clean and the owner kept it looking nice.

Most people that I know that have them use them primarily as liveaboards and rarely sail. Again I bought something else just because there was little information out there about Yorktowns.

With $60,000 you should be able to get into something really nice. I would probably go with a production boat like a Catalina 36 - 38, Hunter or my first choice a Freeport 36. Lots of other good boats out there with roomy interiors, information available and good sailing characteristics.

I liveaboard my Newport 30. Very roomy, good intrernet support group and I enjoy sailing it. Check out the magazine, "Good Old Boats," for honest reviews.

Alan
Old 01-10-2007

belliegirl2 is on a distinguished road
info on yorktowns

Hi,

My family built and lived aboard a center cockpit 35'. The designer was named Hank McQuen (not sure on spelling but pronounced macquen). I doubt he is still alive as he was in his sixties then.

These boats were heavy and built strongly. They were balanced well and sailed well for there displacement. Safe in bad weather, easy deck to work on.

Because they were kit boats the finish quality was different from boat to boat and the ones that were finished by yorktown probably had a more proffesional look to them.

Looking on yachtworld they seem to be a bargain. But they are older boats and will need updating.

I believe Jeff H on this site has some knowledge of these boats as well. I recall him commenting on a similar question some time ago.

Regards
John Lewis
Old 01-10-2007

Pogo-2 is on a distinguished road
Talking Yorktowns

You can find some information and specs on this boat at WWW.yachtworld.com there are two 39's listed.
Old 01-11-2007

dave88 is on a distinguished road
Hi Thanks for the input. Am starting to lean more towards the Catalina's now as it seems to be a more popular boat and probably be easier to get support for.
Dave
Old 01-12-2007

belliegirl2 is on a distinguished road
yorktown or catalina

I think these boats are on different ends of the spectrum. Your sailing destinations and your abilities will dictate your needs for a boat. Personally I would not feel comfortable taking a catalina offshore for too long (maybe others feel different), the yorktown should take you anywhere you wish to go.

I used to race on a catalina 38 as a teenager and that boat was good for weekend jaunts to catalina or as a can racer but even as a 13-15 year old I could see obvious differences in quality of build of the boat ( the deck was seperating from the hull).

That being said if your goal is local cruising grounds and weekend trips the catalina would work, and you are correct that there is a better network for parts etc.

Regards
John
Old 01-12-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave88
Ahoy to all,
I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading many of the threads. there is a wealth of info here that I have not been able to find in many of the sailing forums that I have checked out.
I have some experience sailing but has been a few years(10 +) am going to be taking some more coarses in the spring, But on to the point. I am looking for a liveaboard/cruiser and have come across the yorkton 39's that I am intrested in, but have not been able to find any recent info on. I wonder if anybody has any input, good or bad. I have found that most are a deep draft 6' + which can be a bit of a draw back, But at 39' are more than big enough for my son and I to live on comfortably. As I said any input would be nice.Would like to spend a few seasons in the PNW and then on to ???
Thanks Dave
PS: Or any sugestions on what you think would be a better Boat(About $60000 budget for initial purchase)
You might consider a Tartan 37, which could fit into that budget. Unlike the Yorkton, you will find tons of info on the Tartan on the internet, as it has a very loyal following with owners groups, web-sites etc.
Old 01-12-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Here's a nine year-old article, but it may be helpful, nonetheless:

http://www.boats.com/content/default...contentid=1027

And here's another one:

http://old.cruisingworld.com/ssbk/tart37.htm

Last edited by CBinRI; 01-12-2007 at 03:42 PM.