SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

First boat advice solicited/mid-Chesapeake

9K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
My wife and I are new to boating. My problem started with visits to both Annapolis boat shows a year ago when I signed up for a subscription to Sailing magazine (the young girl was persistent). Though we've lived in MD or VA all our lives, we've never had anything to do with the bay that didn't involve eating. We've just hit 50 and I think I'm hitting a mid-life or something.

Well, last year we actually managed to swing a weekend/eventual retirement cottage with a dock and 4 1/2 feet of water and an easy 2 mile transit to the bay (opens into Fleets Bay). The dock, of course, has a big empty place that's killing me. We took an intro to sailing course last year on a Flying Scot that we both enjoyed (though my wife may possibly be prone to seasickness). We even bought a little stinkpotter (15' whaler) in April that we both love. We have ventured out a little bit in the bay on her (between the Potomac and Rappahannock) but she's really too small to go out very far except on a very nice day.

The problem is that I keep hearing some sort of subliminal siren call from over the horizon (are there sirens in Onanconk??). I've got 4 (4!) quasi-grown daughters aged 20-28 (who I'm finding were overly influenced by "Jaws" and "The Perfect Storm") who think that I've lost my mind. And I have to admit, I'm beginning to drive myself crazy.

My illness was greatly exacerbated by an article I read a couple of weeks ago by John Kretschmer in Sailing that talked about the plethora of used boats currently available for great prices. The Tartan 37 (with its 4' 2" draft which just so happens to match the gaping hole on the dock had smitten me). Jack Horner's review didn't help (though most of the T37 reviews seem to be about 10 years old, I've noticed). I've been fixated on her from afar for a couple of weeks now.

I've been absorbing Calder's "Intro to Cruising" and Kretschmers "Used Boat Notebook" over the holidays and we've actually gone to see a couple of T37s. The thing that bothers me about her is: 1. The lifelines only come up to my knees. 2. The nagging gut feeling that maybe we're getting in over our heads.

Which led me to start to fixate on an IP31 or a Nonsuch 30 (motivated by Kretschmer's book) over the last day or so. But then I saw the Catalina 30 vs IP31 thread on this forum last night and the seemingly good advice of focusing on light wind performance in the Ches. My oldest daughter also pointed out to me that Flying Scot owners seem to be rabid about FS's, Tartans about T's, IPers about IP, Nonsuchers about nonsuch, Catters about Catalina. Arrghh!! (<--- cry for help). How is one to know??

Neither my wife nor I are particularly athletic (both out of shape but not hopeless). We are interested in daysailing/weekending in the Chesapeake. We don't REALLY know if we're born to be sailors (she confesses in weaker moments she's probably a closet stinkpotter) and I the last thing I want to do is to buy something that will be a chore rather than a pleasure. We don't want to sail the world. I can probably scrape up $60k or so through a home equity loan to feed my disease, though would prefer to spend less.

Given these criteria (daysail/weekending mid-Ches), not a boatload of maintenance, good seakindliness, good safe platform for bay sailing, beginners - willing to learn but more interested in daysailing or cruising than the fine points of racing, ticking testeronical clock (I knew men must have one), and the siren call of the Eastern Shore, what SHOULD I be looking at for a shortlist of boats (again, T37, IP31, Nonsuch 30 is my best shot so far)?

Any other sanguine advice from this august group gladly solicited.

Joe F. (aka "Pops" wannabe)

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the emergency room. It really is an illness, and most everyone here is infected by it. After you get the cure for this one (that means pouring money into a hole in the water) you get the next stage which is called "two-foot-itis". Thousands of dollars later you are still infected, but happy.

First, determine if you really want to sail or be a stink-potter. You are in an area with a lot of sailing schools, so take a class in a larger boat to see if you and your admiral really love it, like it a little, or hate it. ASA 101/103 is taught usually on a 30' yacht, you learn a lot, can usually stay on board or not, and over four days you usually get to experience some different weather. Invest $1200-1500 to find out if both ofyou, or one of you, like it before you invest that $60,000 in something that can become a guest cottage,with a lot of upkeep, on the end of your dock.

The reason that there are so many good deals out there right now is that we are definitely in a buyers market. Fine if you are a buyer, but in 6 months if you become a seller you are on the wrong end of the deal. I believe that the average time on the market is over a year at the moment.

That 4'6" on the end of your dock limits you considerably. That Catalina 30 with a wing draws 4'3" BEFORE you load her. Don't know about the channel to the bay, but its depth will also restrict you.

From experience, you are making a very difficult decision. I have been around water all my life, mostly small sailboats and 18-24' runabouts. Five years ago I got the bug for a larger sailboat. Did the ASA 101/103 on a 30' followed by the 104/105 on a 37', and found that I loved it. Did both of these without my wife as she was really not interested. Knew that if I ended up buying the boat that I would be single handing the boat, or with friends, more than with my wife. She would do some day sails and maybe one week long trip a year depending on the weather. She gets motion sickness and has not found a cure for rough weather even though she has tried most everything from prescription to pet cures.

Bought a 34' anyway because I love it and life is short. Single hand most of the time and with my wife when the winds and waves are realistic for her. Have a few friends that love to sail, and do a couple of week long trips a year with them. Long trips with my wife will be me sailing and her driving to a marina somewhere to meet me. Caught out too many times on longer transits when seasickness has caught her in even benign conditions.

Good luck!

Tom Mallery

#3 ·
My the God of your choice love ya man, We all know how you feel.

The choices you're looking at will certainly fill your needs.
You may want to take another gander at the catalina 30, only because of the vast number of them available, and the lower amount of schekles you'll have to fork over for one.

In the unlikely event that you find that this thing just isn't for you or more likely that you want to go bigger, you'll be able to "turn" her more quickly.

Heres a personal opinion.
You *can* spend the rest of your life seeking the "perfect" boat. I've been sailing for almost 40 yrs (hobie 16screaming like a girl) and still haven't found one that has everything that I "want".

The boats I have work for me. I never fail to go out without have an absolute blast, and almost never say "I wish I had a different boat".

In short, find one you can live with, one the better half can live with and go sailing.

#4 · (Edited)
I ran "sail" and "60,000" through the Yachtworld site (www.yachtworld.com) and came up with 25 boats, ranging in size from 45 feet to 24 feet, and in age from 1936 to 2007. Quite a variety of boats. The two smallest boats were also the newest--a 2006 Snug Harbor Pintail 25 and a 2007 Corsair 24 trimaran. Both of these boats would meet the depth issue you have at your dock, although you wouldn't have any type of sleeping area in the Pintail and a very meager one in the Corsair.

At $60,000, a 4.5-foot depth, and low maintenance, you're looking at newer and smaller. The 25-boat list also includes a 2001 Hunter 290, with a 3'10" draft located in Annapolis (Tidewater Marina, 7320 Edgewood Road). I would also consider either a Catalina 22 or 250. Both have modest cabin space for overnighting, shallow draft, basic stable sailing platforms, and within your budget for a new or late model boat.

#5 ·
Pops...welcome aboard! Given what you've said so far my opinion is:
1. I would drop the nonesuch from the list. Nicely built, easily handled boats but really not a great fit for the Chesapeake wind conditions.
2. Add the Cat 30 back in if you're sure the dock depth AND approaches are OK for it. It is a really nice bay boat, cheap to buy and maintain, good factory support and enough room for your intended purpose.
3. You also might want to take a look at the Bristol 35's as they are lovely boats and the centerboard version only draws 3'9".

Overall though, I am reluctant to tell you to go look at $60K boats given your experience and lack of certainty that you will enjoy what you now merely anticipate. For this reason I'd advise getting an older production boat in the 30ft and under $20K range until you are sure what you want and need in a boat. While the Cat 30 would be my choice in this range, there are also plenty of O'day's, Irwins, Hunter's, Beneteaus etc. that will suit you just fine as an INTERIM boat. Since the depreciation is not a big concern on these older boats, you can't lose too much on a trade-in later on and later on you'll know a lot more about what you want and don't want in YOUR ultimate bay boat.

#6 ·
The Bristol 35.5 is a lovely centerboarder, but may be bigger than you want to learn on. MUCH less boat, but perhaps easier to learn on, and quite quick in light air might be a Pearson 30. It will also be a lot less expensive. We have friends who started out with one, sailed it for two years, and moved up to a Ericson 38. They haven't regretted a day on the water in either boat. Another shallow-draft keelboat might be a J/24. It might represent a camping alternative instead of cruising, however. The large deck might help attract family-member crew for daysails. The costs, including "learning" costs, when you inevitably hit or break things, would be less. As Camaraderie suggests, getting a big slug (as are many full-keel boats) is to be avoided. Not only will it NOT be fun to sail in the Chesapeake's prevalent light air, but when you go to sell it after not having fun sailing it, no one else will want it either, because it isn't fun to sail. There are probably a good number of other boats that will fit your bill. You've got a good four months before the season arrives. There's plenty of time to refine your plans and determine a viable short list, then see what's available that you like.

#7 ·
The depth restriction you face is fairly common here on the Chesapeake. In part, you need to consider how big of a boat you want. These days, people start with boats 30-40 feet quite often, so don't be afraid of getting in over your head. You already are looking at some boats with center-boards, and that is a definite way to go. Also look for boats with winged keels. I've owned 2 Pearsons with wings and think they are great on the Chesapeake.

Frankly, a boat to look at is what I currently sail -- a Pearson 33-2 (meaning the 1986-1991 models.) The earlier models have keel/centerboards that draw under 4 feet. The later models come with a wing keel that draws 4'2". I sail out of the Patapsco and do a lot of gunkholing, so shoal draft is important to me. And yes, I run aground at least a couple of times a year and have always gotten the boat off the bottom by myself, usually in very short order.

Other boats to look at that come with K/CB's are Ericsons and Sabres. Lots of coices out there to fit your needs.

#10 ·
camaraderie said:
Pops...welcome aboard! Given what you've said so far my opinion is:

Overall though, I am reluctant to tell you to go look at $60K boats given your experience and lack of certainty that you will enjoy what you now merely anticipate. For this reason I'd advise getting an older production boat in the 30ft and under $20K range until you are sure what you want and need in a boat. While the Cat 30 would be my choice in this range, there are also plenty of O'day's, Irwins, Hunter's, Beneteaus etc. that will suit you just fine as an INTERIM boat. Since the depreciation is not a big concern on these older boats, you can't lose too much on a trade-in later on and later on you'll know a lot more about what you want and don't want in YOUR ultimate bay boat.
I agree with this advice. I was in exacty the same spot as you this time last year, so I know what you are going through and think there is lot to recommend buying a cheaper boat to learn on. In addtion to just learning to sail, your first boat is going to teach you what things are important to your enjoyment on the water and you'll soon know what the "must haves" are for your "dream boat"

If had a place at the bay I would seriously look at a Sabre 28. It's a well built, salty looking boat with good performance for the bay. It has enough room for an occasional overnight, but would truly excel as a daysailer on the bay when you have the option to go home and sleep in your own bed. The Sabre 28 was my first choice for our starter boat, but the wife wanted some more room/amenities since we knew we'd be spending long weekends onboard every time we used the boat. If the end, I'm quite sure we chose the best starter boat for us and expect we'll be keeping it longer than intially expected, but If I had my own place at the bay, a Sabre 28 would be docked there.

#11 ·
visit deltaville

Pops,

Load up the missus and head over the bridge to Deltaville...plan on crawling over at least 20 boats, then get lunch (or dinner) and talk it over.

We bought a really nice, older Sabre 38 that would fit your budget and still leave a bit in the kitty for repairs, addons and the like.

Another option would be head over to Norton's in Deltaville, ask for Mike and tell him what you have told us. Although they sell a bunch of new Hunters, he usually has some good brokerage boats or can point you in a direction. Tell him dave sent you.

all the best, we are up in Callao but sail the bay often.

dave

#12 ·
Pops,

We took the ASA 101 class 2 1/2 years ago, and bought a 1988 Catalina 27 with a tall rig, wing keel, inboard diesel and indoor plumbing which we sail out of the Patuxent River. She has an icebox, a two-burner stove, and a hot water shower, but no oven or air conditioning.:) We've done several week long cruises on the Bay and with a 3 1/2 ft draft, can get in just about anywhere. I'm sure we could sell her now for what we paid for her. (of course, there has been a steady flow of boat bucks since then.:))

There's something to be said for learning on a simple boat. We took a weekend trip the weekend after we got her. Bigger boats do offer more amenities. Some additional things to consider (in no particular order):

1. Comfortable berths
2. Sufficient headroom
3. Place to put the dinghy
4. Access to engine, stuffing box, transmission, steering

The Chesapeake Bay is an absolutely marvelous place to learn to sail. It would be a shame not to take advantage.

#14 ·
Hello,

A few points (a few made, a few not):

-IMHO, a boat over 30' would be too large for you. The sailing part would be OK, but docking, anchoring, reefing, etc. can all be 'challenging' and the bigger the boat, the more effort, skill, practice, etc. required.

-There is no way I would spend even close to 60K on a 'first' boat. You don't know if you will like sailing, or what kind of boat you want, or what size boat, etc. There are lots and lots of very nice boats available for around $20K. IMHO, you should start at that price. Then if you love sailing you can easily move up. If you don't like sailing, it will be easier to get out.

How many people will be sailing with you? How many people would over night with you? In all likely hood, a 25-30' boat would be more than sufficient. Once you get to the 27' and larger size you get all the important amenities - diesel inboard power, pressure hot and cold domestic water with shower, galley with propane stove, real marine head, comfortable berths, etc. A 27-30' boat would be perfect for 2 people and acceptable for 4 people. More than 4, or for longer than a week would require a bigger boat.

There are lots and lots of 27-30 boats available. Catalina, Hunter, O'day, Pearson, Newport, Tartan, Sabre, etc would all meet your needs.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Curragh, 1986 O'day 35
Mt. Sinai, NY
lenoble@optonline.net

#15 ·
(slap! slap!) Thanks!! I needed that!!!

Is this a great list or what? I very much appreciate the cordial welcome and all of the thoughtful responses and will be adjusting course accordingly. Crawling a couple dozen ~30' boats in Deltaville while we sign up for the next set of courses (followed by a romantic dinner...) does sound like the prudent course to be followed in order to arrive at the destination (without winding up like Capt Queeg).

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the great suggestions. Sure beats memorizing boat reviews...

Pops (Joe F.)

#16 ·
Popeye-
I'd suggest getting hold of Practical Sailor's (newsletter) books on used boat buying, if only because there is no other source where you can find 50 detailed reviews of boats, from multiple owners as well as the reviewers, in each book. The comparative comments give you a broad look at the plusses and minuses of many boats, and an eye for things to consider overall.

On the wife's seasickness...It happens! I find the best cure is to just get out on the water, the more often you are out there, the more your body gets used to it. And you'll know you've really gotten used to it when you come back ashore one day and get LANDSICK because the land is NOT ROCKING. Honest!

Many things work for many people, from the plain elastic wristbands with buttons in them (to stimulate an acupuncture point on the wrist, and the placement of the button must be right or there is no effect at all) to the electric Relief Band gizmo (which is even FDA approved for morning sickness, and proven to do something for a lot of people). Plain ginger was tested and found effective by NASA, because it opens up capillary blood flow. Scopalamine is available by Rx--strong meds but beloved by those who use it. Explore the options, get a surplus of sleep and avoid alcohol and tobacco for 48 hours beforehand...and there's every reason to think she'll have no problem, one way or the other. Tell her not to be macho (femmo?<G>) about it, grab the bull by the horns and refuse to be queezy.

I think you'll also find that most folks don't put enough value on the sails themselves. Good new sails make a huge difference in how a boat performs. Sails that have no plastic calendaring (coating) left on them, sails that feel nice and soft, usually are blown out of shape and you'll want to budget to replace them. You don't need to go wild (unless the racing bug bites you<G>) but sails are the engine--and old blown out sails are an engine with half the cylinders gone.

#17 ·
One more thought (actually two) on your potential Admiral's potential lack of enthusiasm-

First, (I know you were planning on this already) she will enjoy sailing more if she takes the same classes you do.

Second, we know a woman that is prone to seasickness. She and her husband bought a PDQ32 (a catamaran), because she found the motion to be more comfortable, and they are now in the Bahamas for the winter. I understand that not everyone finds cats more comfortable. They do sail upright, which may help with nerves and making lunch. They are also relatively shallow and continue to gain popularity. Just something to consider...

#18 · (Edited)
I appreciate the most recent advice re seasickness and classes. We will definitely be signing up together. Admiral Olive is actually warming up quite nicely to the whole notion now. We have a related question re shoal vs. deep keel preferences in the Chesapeake

The admiral and I went looking at various sailboats over the past week, being open to 30's of various ilks. We are now concentrating on the Catalina 30. We were also impressed by the Sabre 28 (but the lack of an inside shower put the C.O.’s nix on it).

How do people feel about getting a deep draft vs. a shoal draft in the Chesapeake for daysailing, weekending, family gunkholing? The best boat we’ve seen so far (this one has the admiral positively excited) was mislabeled as a shoal draft but, unfortunately, it was in much better condition than the others we’ve seen and, of course, it was equipped perfectly for what we were looking for.

Turns out the place where we would keep it, both dock and channel, looks like it might be able to accommodate a deeper draft (most in-season low tides should be only a few inches low for the last 50 feet or so, which I assume could be “corrected”?).

It seems like the shoal draft would provide a lot less worrying/more freedom to explore without getting stuck (the Catalina 30 is 3’10” vs. 5’3”); whereas I assume the deep draft does provide somewhat better sailing performance (mainly the closer hauled upwind performance, I'm guessing. Anything else?)

This boat is also the short-rig version, FWIW.

If only this boat weren’t so positively perfect otherwise (Admiral O’s words…)

Any thoughts? Should we be seriously considering this boat if we find no comparables or are the shoal draft/tall rigs worth holding out for IYHO’S for Chesapeake family sailing?

Any experience with short-channelling? (or whatever it's called -- NOT what Shirley McLaine does) Does it really work or is this a version of a maritime urban legend? Practical limits?

P.S. Almost all of the shoal drafts currently for sale are in MD for some odd reason, the deep drafts largely in VA (must be a coincidence, I assume…).

Thanks in advance!

Pops

#19 ·
We sailed for nearly 20 years on the bay with 5'4" draft and nnever finished exploring all the places we could go. Of course there will be a few spots you can't get into...but I find the 4' draft sailors go aground just as often as the 5' draft ones! I would prefer to have the tall rig for the bay but a nice drifter will move you along in the light airs...so make a deal with the admiral to let you get one if you buy the boat for HER!! <grin>

#20 ·
Popeye, everything in sailing involves some kind of tradeoffs. Maybe you should take a look at some charts (don't have to buy them, many libraries have a map/chart collection hidden away, but you can buy them to plan ahead) and see what kinds of places you might want to get into, and what draft there is in them. Also, potential dockage and marinas. If the marinas in your area don't have six++ feet of water in them at low tide...you'll be wanting a shoal draft boat!
The folks with deep draft boats say the shoal draft folks can't follow them upwind as well. True. But the shoal draft boats will gladly show you how the deep draft boats can't come gunkholing. Then there's the folks with centerboards, to make sure you can have a good THREE way argument.<G>

#21 · (Edited)
Popeye, as a new first boat owner I feel the urge to chime in. We worried about many many things buying our first boat. Draft, beam, rig, transom, on and on. And the good folks here were kind enough to give feedback on all our questions. I have to say now that there are only a few things that seem to matter. Its our first boat, its not perfect and we don't really know enough about sailing and cruising to know exactly what we want. There are so many things we would like to do, places to go, variables to consider in a boat. Its only been a month and I already have a mental list of things I will do different when I buy my next boat. What I am trying to say is, buy a boat that is good for your immediate area. Buy a boat that is comfortable for you, whatever your personal needs are, above and below deck. Obviously, don't buy a piece of junk that needs a ton of work, because even a boat in great condition will need work. Don't get in over your head. We bought a 34 footer, and there is so much to do! Its a lot of boat. Don't buy something big to learn into. 34' scares me a little sometimes. (I just read "a voyage for madmen") At the beginning level you will hardly notice the difference between a deep and shoal draft or a mast with single or double spreaders. I am over simplifying, of course, but I think you get my meaning? And Like hellosailor said, tradeoffs. Never has it been more apparent about tradeoffs in life as in sailing.For example, I thought it was great that my fridge was under the chart table and it freed up space in the galley. Big mistake, now every time I want to get a beer, I have to clear off the chart table to lift the lid. I dismissed somebody's advice on here before. It was to buy something in decent shape and get out there and sail! You can't figure out what you really need on land. Your next boat will be even better! And if you haven't already, watch "captain's courageous", now THATS what sailing is all about!

#22 ·
Hello again,

It makes me smile to see your excitement and your desire for someone to say "go for it".

It is true that everyone runs aground on the Chesapeake Bay. The folks with deeper drafts just go aground in different spots. It does limit the places you can go, though. We have a Cheoy Lee with a six foot draft in our cruising group. I know of at least four times they touched ground when with the group last season. It's just a nuisance, mostly.

As for pointing, I'm sure we don't point as high with our wing keel as we could with a fin. Could we tell while sailing? No way. After two and a half years, we're only just getting to the point where other factors (i.e. our sailing skills) aren't the limiting factor anyway. For a long time, we were happy if the boat went in the right direction. Then we started learning how to get the most out of her. Now I'm sure our old sails have more effect than the wing keel.

Having said all that, while running aground occasionally isn't a big deal in the soft mud of the Bay, I would think very carefully before buying a boat that's deeper than the controlling depth of your channel. At the least, it means you will have to plan your trips by the tide charts. It can be done, but what a pain. Also, depth of tributaries on the Bay are affected not only by tides, but by wind. Storms coming through can push water up some channels and out of other channels. I would worry about being caught on the wrong side of the mud when I wanted to go home.

Finally, don't forget that there are lots and lots of Catalina 30's. There are also clubs and owner's groups. You may want to check out the Catalina 30 owner's group and ask if there's anyone that's thinking about parting with one that's in good condition with the features you want. If you're lucky, you might find someone that's thinking about moving up that would jump at the chance for a quick private sale. Also, check out the SpinSheet.

Good luck. Come back and let us know what happens. Maybe we'll see you on the Bay when it warms up again.

Carrie

#23 ·
This list is a unique resource (for me at least) in terms of being able to draw on the wisdom of people that really love an activity for its own sake. I take to heart the advice here, while trying to suppress my innate anal urge to optimize.

I spent some time going through a couple of threads on shoal vs. deep draft last night that I discovered after I posted. I didn't realize this was as controversial a topic as it is. I had been thinking that shoal drafts in the Chesapeake were a no-brainer (based largely on the "Cruising the Chesapeake" book and the like). I now know that both have definite merits even in this locale.

The thing that I am struggling with right now is -- most of the boats that we have been seeing, in the words of one of the salesmen -- you would like to go take a bath after getting off them. The ONE boat that has us mesmerized, in terms of looking like OUR boat and being very well maintained (and in keeping with the advice given here), draws 5'3".

At the end of the dock, it draws precisely 5'3" when the tide is at the barnacle line (and the channel is the same for the first 50-100' before it starts dropping off to deeper water). I don't remember exactly where the typical low tide was in summer, but the barnacle line seems fairly low (barnacles are apparently intertidal and not totally subtidal, as I was hoping).

The one side of me says: Go for it!, Good enough!, it'll be fine at the higher tides and the lower ones will just get better as you use the channel.

The other side of me says: What, are you crazy? You may only be able to go out at high tide. And you're going to be coming back, tired after a good day sailing and get stuck 150' from the dock and this may not ever get any better (and it'll be the day that you have all four daughters with you!! -- I'm definitely going to have a have a dingy on board)

Thoughts? Am I being prudent or too cautious? Has anyone else ever dealt with this situation?

Pops

#25 · (Edited)
Running aground here in the Bay area is common too. Vessel assist is always towing someone. Most people think the SF Bay is deep, but in reality, a large amount of it is 9' or less. Most of the sailing is done in the slot, in or around the deep shipping channels. I have 6'3" draft. When I am in an unfamiliar spot and the meter starts to steadily decline to an uncomfortable depth, I turn around until I can look at the charts, or just stay out altogether. Needless to say, I am very happy with the decision to get the deep draft, and the day I run aground, I will be very disappointed with my decision to get the deep draft.

#26 ·
Popeye...having a 5'3" draft on the bay is really no problem. Having a 5'3" draft and having to use a dock that is 5'3" at low tide is A PROBLEM!
Are you saying you must use a dock with only 5'3" of water at normal low tide? There will be days that you cannot use that boat AT all given the way water can be blown in and out of the bay by prevailing winds as well as spring tides. Given that bottoms in the bay are generally soft mud, it is unlikely that low water will damage the boat/keel but you will not be happy with your access. There will be other clean Cat30's come along with the shoal draft you need for that dock so I would say "pass".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.