SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Does this sound like a boat you know? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/27419-does-sound-like-boat-you-know.html)

labatt 01-04-2007 12:52 AM

Does this sound like a boat you know?

As I've mentioned before, we're only keeping our Passport 40 for 2 years. After this, I'll be moving up to a larger boat to start our 18 month+ cruise with my wife and my two kids. I'm not a guy who likes to rough it. This will be our house for a while and I'm looking to be very comfortable.

I figured I'd post our wish list here so that if anyone knows of a boat that fits the list... or if anyone sees anything that's missing (it's a long list).

If we're buying used, I'd want to be able to buy the boat for under $550k with a $100k outfitting budget for gear not already installed (see optional list). In other words, the more the boat already has, the better. Do you think this boat exists? We need to make the decision by the next Annapolis boat show as to whether or not we go used or semi-custom new.

Things that must be standard:

- We're looking for something in the 48' to 60' range.
- We'd like a draft no greater than 6 1/2 feet (centerboard/keel would work)
- "Bluewater" (which most boats of this size tend to be) - Transoceanic capable
- Preferably, we're looking for a center cockpit.
- The master cabin has to have at least a walkaround (island) queen, if not a king (I know, that's rare, but it would be an ENORMOUS plus).
- There have to be two additional cabins, one preferably with over/under singles (double up the kids when we have a guest)
- Deep, preferably deck accessible, large lazarette/storage to store 2-3 bicycles, including an adult triathlon bike
- If teak decks - vacuum method with no through deck/core fasteners.
- Lots of sunlight and opening ports - doesn't need to be deck salon, but it could be.
- Interior should "feel roomy"
- Large nav station that can double as a "home office"
- Not full keel, not wing keel
- Preferably sugar scoop transom or swim platform (if we found the perfect boat without it we could deal)
- 2 Heads
- Cockpit benches that I can lie down on (i.e. longer than 6'3")
- Rigged to be handled by two, or one in extreme circumstances (MOB)
- Room for 6kw+ genset (if not already installed)
- Room for AC/ducts (if not already installed)
- Room for diesel heater (if not already installed)
- Standard sloop preferable (vs. Ketch or Cutter) but will deal with ketch to make sure ICW capable
- Large fuel tanks (100gal+) and water tanks (120gal+)
- WELL MAINTAINED EXTERNALLY AND INTERNALLY (I don't want a fixer-upper) ESPECIALLY THE DECKS AND CORE

Things we'd like:

- Recent repower (less than 1,000 hours on engine)
- Electrics fully ABYC compliant
- Bronze seacocks - or Marelon (no gate valves)
- Tall door openings
- Blue hull (I know, I know, but it's a preference)
- Newish (under 7 year old) sails, Roller Furling/Reefing Genoa 135%+, second furled blade, second genoa of some sort, stormsail, working/storm jib, main, cruising chute
- Newish (under 7 year old) standing rigging and running rigging
- Removable inner forestay for working jib/storm jib
- Separate track on mast for trisail
- Electric halyard winches
- Electric or hydraulic genoa furling
- Boom furling main or lazy jacks with stackpak
- Large anchor locker with multiple divisions
- Full enclosure
- Large holding tanks (25+ gal) and Macerator
- Fairly large and clear flat aft deck
- High cockpit coamings at a good sitting angle
- Easy access impeller
- Bowthruster
- Dual anchor roller
- Whisker Pole

Options, but plusses (i.e. we can outfit the boat with these if needed)

- Item must be newer to be considered a plus
- Electronics must be under 3 years old to be considered a plus
- Forward looking sonar
- Genset
- A/C
- Diesel heat
- Reefer/Freezer
- Lavac heads (manual is fine)
- Side mounted ladder
- Electric windlass, dedicated batteries (batteries should be under 3 years)
- Lots of chain (300feet+) plus lots of ground tackle (Delta Fastset, CQR, etc.)
- Very high pressure, pressure water system for shower
- EPIRB (Type 1 preferable, Type 2 OK, both with integrated GPS)
- Life raft, certified, checked
- Whisker pole
- Solar Panels (with real capacity)
- Bow Thruster
- Large inverter (2000watt+)
- Large alternator (130Amp+)
- Instruments - Chartplotter with integrated Radar - Redundancy a plus, MARPA a plus
- Instruments - Wind, speed, depth
- Instruments - Second GPS antenna to hook up to laptop
- Instruments - AIS
- Low noise, recent autopilot
- Communications - VHF (with cockpit RAM and DSC), SSB (ICOM 802, good antenna/ground plate), Pactor 3 Modem - Redundancy a plus
- Communications - VHF w/DSC - Redundancy a plus
- Communications - Hailer
- Communications - Cell phone (EVDO) Amplifier
- Communications - 802.11 antenna on mast/amplifier
- 1200+ AH of batteries + dedicated starting battery (batteries should be under 3 years)
- Dual Outboard engine mounts
- Outboard Engine hoist
- Fresh water shower on swim platform or transom
- Salt water washdown by anchor locker
- Full enclosure - bimini, dodger, side panels, screens, etc.
- Hard dodger
- Microwave
- Washer/Dryer
- Variety of spares
- Genoa cars adjustable from cockpit
- Shore power connectors at both bow and stern
- Dodger built over midship hatch so we can open it when it's raining or we're underway
- Holding tank gauges
- Fuel tank gauges
- Water tank gauges
- Halyard Hooks on Spreaders

EscapadeCaliber40LRC 01-04-2007 01:29 AM

I'd add a bowthruster to your list of desirable features but that is just my personal bias. Others seem to think these type of devices are not necessary for the more skilled sailors among us.

orthomartin 01-04-2007 02:14 AM

Look at the Caliber47LRC as you could buy that new in that price range. Other boat is the Hylas49. I saw a nice one on yachtworld.com for sale called Empathy. I am looking for the same type boat but am also concidering the Jeanneau 49DS
John

Giulietta 01-04-2007 06:41 AM

Sorry there was only one Tayana, and Cam took it!!!

ianhlnd 01-04-2007 07:09 AM

Are the Deerfoots still around?

labatt 01-04-2007 10:38 AM

After Cam mentioned the Tayana 52 I actually have looked online. There are only a few in the US, but the layout looks pretty cool. It might be a good one to keep in mind as we progress.

hellosailor 01-04-2007 10:51 AM

labatt-
"- Tall bulkheads (i.e. not rounded openings)
- Doors that go to the floor (i.e. not rounded openings at the bottom)"

I'd argue that point. On a world cruiser, especially one that size, having watertight bulkheads could save your lives. There's been quite a lot of talk among the global races over the past decade, all trending to requiring multiple watertight bulkheads because collisions (whales, cargo cubes, buoys, boats) do happen, and closing a bulkhead on a boat that size can be the option that saves the boat. Not to mention, the crew.

Of course, bulkheads will mean no doors to the floors.<G>

Sounds like you want one of Steve Dashew's boats. If he still makes anything under a million, he might also know when one comes back on the market as the owners move up.

http://www.setsail.com/dashew/dashoff.html

Giulietta 01-04-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labatt
After Cam mentioned the Tayana 52 I actually have looked online. There are only a few in the US, but the layout looks pretty cool. It might be a good one to keep in mind as we progress.

Actually I did...

labatt 01-04-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giulietta
Actually I did...

Sorry.. meant in another thread :)

labatt 01-11-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor
labatt-
"- Tall bulkheads (i.e. not rounded openings)
- Doors that go to the floor (i.e. not rounded openings at the bottom)"

I'd argue that point. On a world cruiser, especially one that size, having watertight bulkheads could save your lives. There's been quite a lot of talk among the global races over the past decade, all trending to requiring multiple watertight bulkheads because collisions (whales, cargo cubes, buoys, boats) do happen, and closing a bulkhead on a boat that size can be the option that saves the boat. Not to mention, the crew.

I'd be OK if they were actually watertight. We looked at a number of boats at the Annapolis show where they had rounded doors in the bulkheads between cabins yet they weren't watertight - they were just for show. Useless and just a trap to stub your toes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor
Sounds like you want one of Steve Dashew's boats. If he still makes anything under a million, he might also know when one comes back on the market as the owners move up.

Wow! Those are some really cool boats. I love the thought that went into them. I think I'll reach out and see what smaller models of their sailing vessels they made. Thanks for the tip.