SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hughes 38 With Trim Tab

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Minnesail 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a Hughes 38 with an interesting design feature. It has a carry over from the famous Americas Cup 12 m boats designed by Ohlin Stephens. Please share comments. Here is how Wikipedia describes it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_tab

Here is mine

Machine Stable Metal

Look familiar?

Sail Mast Boat Sailboat Sailing

See less See more
#2 ·
i think that the term trimtab on the aft edge of keels on sailboats is unfortunate. On an airplane they are to balance out the forces acting on a foil so that the foil is more neutrally balanced and the loads are not so great. On a sailboat keel, the trimtab is acting more like a flap on an airplane wing during takeoff. On a sailboat the balance on the helm is better controlled by the sails.

Still, congrads on your great purchase and i'm sure that you will enjoy the trimtab. All sailboats with keels should have them. The luddites in the sailing world, loathe to see their little kingdoms crash, legislated against them so they were no longer faster in adjusted time.

Since man first sat on a log and was blown across the pond, the challenge in sailing has been to go against the wind. Any advance making this more possible, is just that, an advance, and should be encouraged not restricted.

jon

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
longjohnsilver is spot on. It was designed by Bill Tripp, the design was outdated by racing rules not long after they went into production when the IOR rules went into effect.

I am not aware that any of them have the original engine, personally mine has a Perkins 4-108 50 bhp, a little underpowered, but it works. I have the engine pulled for work, and also to allow me to clean the bilges and paint them, as they have 48 years of diesel and oil stench to them, which is quite strong. The under sole location has quite a bit of space to work around it, just don't drop anything into the lower bilge, as I found out, as I needed a magnet to get my tools back.

A cleaner bilge than on mine from a sistership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.