Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
What would you take to Bermuda?

If you had to be on a budget (no specific definition, but $100K and more is not an option), limited to 32-36' size range (for minimal comfort vs. slip cost) but not otherwise constrained, what boat would you chose for an ocean crossing, say Newport to Bermuda?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2007

snider is on a distinguished road
Psc 34

Pacific Seacraft 34
Old 01-05-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snider
Pacific Seacraft 34
Oh, you are breaking my heart here I love this boat but it routinely commands prices well upward of 100K. PS 31 is a bit cheaper, but they are pretty tight - though perhaps that should be on my list.
Old 01-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tayana37's...if you like the PS...you should like these and they are routinely under 100k selling price...probably Perry's 2nd most famous design ofter the Valiant...lots on yachtworld.com
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/5/...?1161068400000

Cape Dory might be another good boat to look at.

Both of the above are heavy displacement boats...I'm sure someone will be along from the Tartan contingent shortly!
Old 01-05-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Tayana37's...if you like the PS...you should like these and they are routinely under 100k selling price...probably Perry's 2nd most famous design ofter the Valiant...lots on yachtworld.com
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/5/...?1161068400000

Cape Dory might be another good boat to look at.

Both of the above are heavy displacement boats...I'm sure someone will be along from the Tartan contingent shortly!
What is your opinion on larger Cape Dories? I've seen the 27(?) and those are built like a rock (that still floats ) but the bigger ones seemed to be more like modern plastic, from my cursory look at least. What models of Cape Dory would you consider?

Some Tartans look nice too. Too bad most are fully cored. If someone shows me one that isn't - I'll buy them a beer, honest
Old 01-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The Cape Dory 36 would make a great passagemaker. I don't know too many boats that are less "plastic" except maybe the Tayana and Westsail.
Here's one near Providence:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1709&url=

Bayfield36 might also be a boat to look at if you like the "clipper bow" traditional look. I know the smaller ones are pretty well built and assume the same on the 36.

Oh..oh....I can see an incoming scud from a Tartan 34 on my radar screen!! Duck and cover!!
Old 01-05-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Oh..oh....I can see an incoming scud from a Tartan 34 on my radar screen!! Duck and cover!!
Hehe I ain't afeard of'em. I'd love to hear some owner experiences regarding Tartans and their hull construction. After owning a few (smaller) boats and dealing extensively with various fiberglass issues I just seen too many things go wrong with wood (especially soft balsa) inserted into laminate. But I am trying to keep an open mind and would be very interested in actual experience with those boats.
Old 01-05-2007

catamount is on a distinguished road
The Cape Dory 36 is a good boat; we sailed my Dad's to Newfoundland and back, and I would certainly consider sailing it to Bermuda.

However, for myself I prefer a boat with better performance characteristics (i.e., "not my father's oldsmobile"), and would look for something like a C&C 35, a Peterson 34, or even a J35. In fact I own a Peterson 34, and (once I'm done fixing it up) would definitely consider sailing it to Bermuda.

Last edited by catamount; 05-02-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: update URLs, delete link to For Sale boat as it has sold
Old 01-05-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount
The Cape Dory 36 is a good boat; we sailed my Dad's to Newfoundland and back, and I would certainly consider sailing it to Bermuda (FWIW, the boat is currently for sale).

However, for myself I prefer a boat with better performance characteristics (i.e., "not my father's oldsmobile"), and would look for something like a C&C 35, a Peterson 34, or even a J35. In fact I own a Peterson 34, and (once I'm done fixing it up) would definitely consider sailing it to Bermuda.

Thanks for the reply I've seen your pages before and read them with a lot of interest I remember making a note of your boat too - its an excellent choice, though a little les "cruisy" than I'd like but very much within reason for me. Without giving out any private info - whats the price range on these things? I don't suppose too many come on the market.
Old 01-05-2007

catamount is on a distinguished road
GREYHAWK was definitely a customized version of the Peterson 34 really set up for racing. Most of them (the production boats) have somewhat more "cruisy" cockpits and interiors than mine. They do occaisionally show up on the market, generally listed for between $25K to $35K. I bought mine for substantially less than that, but it had not been well marketed (fortunately for me!).

A search of Yachtworld shows four Peterson 34's right now, BUT only 2 of those were actually production boats built by Composite Technologies/Island Yachts (the boats in Illinois and San Diego).

The boat in Alameda is an Offshore One Design 34, designed by Doug Peterson in 1978 as a racing class and built by Jeremy Rodgers (aka Contessa Yachts) in Lymington UK. The boat in Redondo Beach appears to be a custom one-off racer (and has been on the market for a long time).

There are several different models of C&C 35, spanning many years, and their prices have a wider range. Mark I's seem also list for between $25K to $35K. J35's tend to be more expensive (can still find them well under $100K though), but you might occaisionally find a beat racer for under $40K. Cape Dory 36's have prices similar to J35s, generally from $60K to $90K (or more).

For any of these boats, expect to spend more money beyond the purchase price (in my case, a lot more!) on re-fitting and out-fitting for offshore sailing.