SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nauticat 33?

17K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Plinkfloyd 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am considering the purchase of a 1984 Nauticat 33 and would appreciate any information anyone has on these boats. Ive done what internet research I can, as well as searched these and other forums. They seem to be well-loved boats by their owners, much-maligned for sailing abilities by many others. Yes, I know it is a motor-sailor, that it is slow, and that it is not a "true" sailboat. I'm ok with that, as we were considering going fully to the dark-side and going with a small trawler/tug, so this is a nice compromise. My last boat was a 50' Cutter and it just got to be too much upkeep and expense, plus I had to keep it at a marina because the draft was 6'. I have 5' at a dock behind my house, and want something I can keep right there for easy access.

We live on the Potomac river, so will mostly be using the boat for Chesapeake Bay trips, with maybe a trip down the ICW and out to the Bahamas one day. My wife is new to sailing, I have sailed since 2007. I have lived on a 46' sailboat for a few years, and have single-handed every boat I have owned quite a bit. I am looking for a small boat with a big cabin, which can be easily handled. I don't care about going fast, but I do want a sea-kindly motion. I had never considered the Nauticats before, but after looking at this one at the suggestion of a friend, I started researching them more and think it may fit the bill. Any additional info anyone has as to what I should look, specific to the Nauticats, before making an offer for and any gotchas is appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
A steadying sail always helps. Definitely familiar with the hot, dead air on the Chesapeake in summer. A big iron genny helps with that. The nauticat is appealing because I figure I will probably motor a fair bit in the summer, and the pilothouse will allow me to get out on colder days when the wind is blowing enough to move a boat that heavy, while staying somewhat out of the weather at the same time.

#4 ·
I can't offer anything specific but I have always liked Nauticats about 30 yrs ago there was one next to my dads boat , it must have been a big one because my dads boat was a Grand Banks 42 . A friend of mine has a Fisher 29 ketch , it is a motor sailor . He has had it for a long time , he has turned it more into a sailboat by getting in his words real sails for it . I have been sailing with him many times and seems to sail just fine by me . I think it was in the 2015 Single Handed Trans Pack there was a Nauticat .
Singlehanded Transpac 2016 ? San Francisco to Hanalei ? The 20th Edition

#7 ·
Neither.... looking at Naut So Fast in Kinsale. It was close to my house so I thought I would just cruise by and take a look one day, but wasn't expecting much, as the listing and pics were not that great, and I knew it had been sitting there for quite a while. I was pleasantly surprised, especially after doing my own "mini-survey" and going through every nook and cranny, examining the rig up close, and sounding the hull with a plastic mallet. Mostly it just needs cosmetic attention on the outside, but the mechanicals and interior appear to have been well-maintained. Of course, it has been sitting for 2 years, so a good professional survey and sea trial should uncover any easter eggs.

I may go look at those others later this month though.

#9 ·
She looks nice and we will probably go have a look at her to see if she is $25K better than Naut So Fast. I figure I can put $15K and some elbow grease into the one in Kinsale and have a nice boat, providing there are no hidden surprises. A good survey should tell me that.

If distance were not an object, Serenity, in the Great Lakes, looks very well kept. I found the PO's blog and he did a lot of work on her.

#16 ·
Lol... All 3 boats are around the 2000 hour mark. Both of the more expensive boats had AC, one had dinghy davits, none have generators. The one I've been looking at is already wired for a small Honda generator with a box on the afterdeck to put it in. Plus it had new fuel tanks put in a few years ago, as well as a complete electrical re-wire. It also has an Espar diesel heater with central ducting for heat, so it wouldn't be too big a job to add an AC unit I figure. All 3 boats have teak decks in about the same condition.

#17 ·
2,000 hrs ? That's not very much . The Ford Lehmann is a very good engine , my dads Grand Banks 32 had one . What is hull speed on the NC 33 ? From what I remember the GB was around 8-9 kt. , at about 7.5 that engine ran so smooth it would put you to sleep .

#19 ·
Brett,

When searching for our Nauticat 43 a few years ago, I had also researched the 33's a bit. In case you aren't already aware, there are at least 2 [possibly 3?] different hull designs in the era you are searching in. [e.g., full keel, modified fin, #3...? if there is one- I don't recall...]

The Nauticat Owner's Group on Yahoo will have all those answers and more...

Here is the brief history of the models and release years.

Best wishes finding the right boat for you!

Cheers! Bill

Reactions: brett737cap
#20 ·
Thanks Bill. The one I am looking at is the full-keel, shallow draft. Perfect for me, as I have only 5' depth behind my house.

I signed up for the Yahoo group and got an email saying I was approved, but still can't access the discussions. Not sure what I am doing wrong.... any ideas?

#21 ·
Hi Brett,

It sounds like you have narrowed down your focus... now for the patience to wait for the 'right' vessel to be available...

RE: Nauticat Owner's Forum. Perhaps there is a slight delay or a verification email with a date link? Otherwise I would apply again and indicate the issue as the moderators will see you application.

Best wishes on both counts.

Cheers! Bill

Reactions: brett737cap
#22 ·
Thanks Bill,

I think I have found the right one. The wife and I went to look at it again yesterday, and I have already been back to it 3 times now (its on the hard and open, and both the broker and owner said to go by and look at it whenever I want). I've gone through it with a fine-toothed comb now and looked at every system I can as much as I can. Now its just a matter of getting a deal and then a good survey and sea trial.

I'll try the yahoo group again.

Cheers.....

#23 ·
Bought the boat and got her home. She is in remarkably better shape than I would've thought for a boat that sat on the hard for 4 years. Apparently, even though she was out of water, she wasn't abandoned, as the owner came down and did regular maintenance on her. Survey came out as "Above average" for her age. I'm very happy with her. The new name will be Azul. She is now happily docked behind our house. Now the refit starts!

Attachments

#24 ·
Congratulations, Brett!

Have a ball getting her ready for your future adventures.

She has great bones and will go anywhere you care to take her.

All the best.

Bill

Reactions: seabeau
#25 ·
Mmm, I like these nauticats ,I think the admiral would be comfortable in one than the racer cruiser types,a pilot house type is better for cruising I think..... Good luck and enjoy the refit..?..on your new to you boat..azul is a fine name...Ralph

#26 ·
I'm a bit late to the game here, but thought I'd pipe in.

I actually bought rainbow (now Nautilus) in April. I'm not sure what kind of work was done between when ya'll saw it and I bought it, but she's a damned fine boat. For a 30 year old boat, I'm actually quite impressed. There are no leaks on the top and bilge stays pretty dry.

Sure, there are some kinks in the system but our largest problem right now is a slight air leak in our fresh water system.

We just moved aboard in prep for our trip south (icw) after the hurricanes. I can't imagine what kind of boat would pass as good, but we're very, very happy with her. Sure, I would have preferred a true blue, but the wife fell in love with the pilot house and that was that.

If anybody has any questions about her, feel free to ask! The boat, not the wife.

#27 ·
Hi All,

I am considering the purchase of a 1984 Nauticat 33 and would appreciate any information anyone has on these boats. Ive done what internet research I can, as well as searched these and other forums. They seem to be well-loved boats by their owners, much-maligned for sailing abilities by many others. Yes, I know it is a motor-sailor, that it is slow, and that it is not a "true" sailboat. I'm ok with that, as we were considering going fully to the dark-side and going with a small trawler/tug, so this is a nice compromise. My last boat was a 50' Cutter and it just got to be too much upkeep and expense, plus I had to keep it at a marina because the draft was 6'. I have 5' at a dock behind my house, and want something I can keep right there for easy access.

We live on the Potomac river, so will mostly be using the boat for Chesapeake Bay trips, with maybe a trip down the ICW and out to the Bahamas one day. My wife is new to sailing, I have sailed since 2007. I have lived on a 46' sailboat for a few years, and have single-handed every boat I have owned quite a bit. I am looking for a small boat with a big cabin, which can be easily handled. I don't care about going fast, but I do want a sea-kindly motion. I had never considered the Nauticats before, but after looking at this one at the suggestion of a friend, I started researching them more and think it may fit the bill. Any additional info anyone has as to what I should look, specific to the Nauticats, before making an offer for and any gotchas is appreciated.
Excellent boat! Ive restored one over the last three year period. They do draw 5.5 so you need to be aware of it. Mine has the standard Ford Leahman 90 and it's a beautiful beast of a motor. 160 gallons of fuel! Sails just fine and easy to handle because of the ketch rig the sails are small and easy to deal with. Easy to single handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.