Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007

tomg847 is on a distinguished road
Question Catalina 22 vs. Macgregor 22 (or similar sized boat)

Hello,
I've been sailing an old Lido 14 (#201!) for many years, and feel that I want to move up to the next level to a larger boat that I can use for overnight trips and sail around in Puget Sound with rather than smaller lakes.
I've been researching this on the internet and looking at used boat sites and pretty much narrowed my search something around 22 feet (but not bigger) like a Macgregor 22 or Catalina 22.
I've looked at a Macgregor 24, but felt it was just a bit bigger than I wanted, and I've recently looked at a Catalina 22 which I really liked - photos here: Catalina 22

The size looks about right for what I want, and it has a trailer and motor with it also as well as the swing keel for easier launching. I plan on parking it in my backyard since I don't want to pay moorage fees. I've been in contact with the owner of a 21 foot Mac which looks very nice too, but the cabin is just a bit smaller than what I want.

Ok, this leads to my big concern. I have a 98 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 liter V6 Automatic and 2WD. Would there be much problem towing a Catalina 22 with this rig? I live only 2.2 miles from the boat launch, so it will be a short distance to tow. I'll be meeting the owner in a couple weeks to try pulling it out of the water with my truck to see how that works out. I do have a class II hitch that I installed (the bumper hitch is just too wimpy), so I'm hoping this might work out. Any advice, ideas, comments, or should I stand here and just let everyone point and laugh in my direction?

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Figure out how what your maximum towing capacity is. Your owner's manual should indicate this. The Catalina 22 with a swing keel weighs in around 2,500 pounds. With outboard and other gear you could be approaching 3,000 pounds. I've towed this boat with a '94 4Runner, 3.0L, V6, five-speed manual, 4WD, without much problem.

Last edited by SailinJay; 01-10-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2007

julied is on a distinguished road
I pulled my Catalina 22 with an old Tacoma with the small engine. I had no problems
Old 01-10-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Trailer Sailing,

Hello,

As I wrote on Sailboatowners.com, I had a Catalina 22 in 2003-2004.

The first year I trailer sailed it - trailering, rigging, launching, sailing, recovering, unrigging, and trailering home. To be honest, that was a real pain in the you know what, and took a lot of the fun out of sailing. It took about 1 hour from the time we arrived at the marina until the boat was ready to motor away from the dock. And it took another hour from the time we arrived at the dock until we were leaving the marine.

It is possible to trailer sail a 22' boat, but I don't want to do it. The next year I got a mooring ($110 / year from the town for the permit) and that was MUCH better. Then it took me 5 minutes to row to the boat and another 5 minutes to get underway.

Good luck,
Barry
Old 01-11-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I haul the same size boat with a F150 with same drivetrain as your Ranger-no problem. I did make up a trailer hitch extension which allows me to keep my drives on the hard. Kick the overdrive out and you won't lug or have the tranny hunting.
All things being equal, i wouldn't waste time on the Mac. (do me a favor and don't bring the topic up-just research some past threads with the 'M' word in them-you'll get the idea)

(please, I'm begging you-don't mention the 'M' thing again. just read the threads. I mean, I'll send you money-just don't....)

Last edited by sailaway21; 01-11-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2007
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomg847
I have a 98 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 liter V6 Automatic and 2WD. Would there be much problem towing a Catalina 22 with this rig?
I have a 23' AMI 7.0 that I towed 300 miles with a 96 Ranger w/ class IV hitch
- no problems. It would probably be slightly heaver than the 22' CB.
(the AMI 7.0 is for sale if you would be interested - PM me for more info)

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sidiag; 01-11-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2007

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
We had a similar situation towing our Catalina 22 on relatively level ground a few miles from the boat ramp using a Ford Ranger 4WD with reese hitch. For us it worked out fine.
Old 01-11-2007

Towing advice

Thanks for the comments guys!
Again it seems that about 8/10 trailer sailors say that a Ranger should do ok with a 22 footer. I think I may be researching this to death, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I've been studying this boat upgrade for about 3 months now and trying to find something that would work without being too large, small, heavy or too much of a pain.
Comparing the Catalina and the...uh...one that starts with "M" I'm seeing now that the Cat is a much better boat. I got an email from another guy that told me that the "M" was the sailing equivalent of a Ford Pinto. Hmmm...more to think about.
Basically, this is what I've narrowed my search down to (Uh....please excuse the "M" word in the title, I think I've been learning sine I wrote this up!)
craigslist

I'll search this forum for more comments on the boats that I'm looking at.

Tom
Old 01-11-2007

4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambianceack
We had a similar situation towing our Catalina 22 on relatively level ground a few miles from the boat ramp using a Ford Ranger 4WD with reese hitch. For us it worked out fine.
Did you have to use the 4WD to pluck the boat out of the water?

T.
Old 01-11-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I just to have a 22ft trailor sailor a number of years ago that was roughly the same size & weight as the Catalina. I pulled it with a Jeep Wrangler with the smaller 4 cyl. engine. I had pleanty of power to pull though wouldn't recommend long towing. Did use 4wd when coming out of water mostly due to short wheel base. I think you'll be fine.