SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

To Catalina, or not to Catalina?

25K views 245 replies 26 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
You fill in the blanks.;)

#2 ·
Catalina, or not to Catalina ?
That is never the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles . . .

Shakespere must be rolling over in his grave.

#7 ·
Giulietta said:
The Catalina.....hummm, is that a sailboat???

Why there are none here??? Not good to cross the ocean???
Please, even the French boats crossed.....
Now, now... that' s just mean... are you comparing a Catalina to a Bendytoy??

#17 ·
Well thats it for me... Its a hunter for my next hole in the water.

#19 ·
Lemme see ...... Catagregor? Maclina? Or the old stand by -- Benehuntalina?

There's a Benetoy 393 in the slip next to mine -- their very first boat. One other 393 just down from me, and a 372 (or whatever the number is for that one.) Several friends have Catalina 30's. Once knew a guy in my former marina with a Hunter Vision 32. It was a vision -- at the dock, and a nightmare under sail.

Otherwise, you guys are all on drugs.

#22 ·
chappy... good luck with the new boat. Hope you have a lot of fun on her!
The reality is that a lot of the Bene's are built to hit a low price point and designed to do lake and bay and coastal cruising and a lot of shortcuts and cost saving measures are taken to get them priced right for the mass market and charter trade. This does not make them unsuitable for their designed purpose...but does invite some shots across the bow....especially since they are French (right Giu??<grin>). I recall looking at a 44'CC cruiser from them with a shoal draft where the rudder was deeper than the keel and the bilge was about 3 inches deep. Did not inspire my confidence for longer distance cruising.
On the other hand, they are typically good, fast boats to sail and with good accomodations and let people get into the sport wouldn't otherwise be able to. So...don't worry about anyone else...enjoy the new boat and remember that 90% of those "better" boats are tied up at the dock 90% of the time while their owners work to try to pay them off!! <grin>

#23 ·
Everybody makes fun of what they don't own, it's a way of validating their choice. The only boats they don't make fun of are the one's that are so far out of their price range that contemplating ownership, even used, is a fantasy. Enjoy YOUR boat and if you ever tire of her or desire a different capability of boat you may, and I do mean may, recall something from this site that will aid you.

My first vessel was a collection of pallets on the Grand River in Michigan. Major buoyancy concerns were addressed by the available empty bleach bottle supply in the neighborhood and the results were uneven. My friend and I were nine, our parents died never having heard of our epic voyages, and to this day I think she was a fine craft. There I was at age nine; master of my own vessel and scourge of the navigable waters of Lamont, Michigan!
Always take joy in what you have at the moment, otherwise you'll never feel you have anything. I was never able to distribute my Clorox stability system to ensure dry underwear-my only regret. I think I was too old to perfect it-my imagination was being swayed by older youths who knew better. I'm trying to never let that happen again.

#24 ·
chappyonice said:
Why does everyone make fun of Bene's...I just put a bid in for one. I'm getting a complex already :(
For the record, altough my animosity towards French (not France) is not high, ....I DID NOT HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN!!! :D ....I mean I did not make jokes about Beneteau. (my previous post here states just that!).

Now that the record is linear..

My opinion is that any boat is good, it serves its purposes, and serves his master's conditions. (rich poor, experienced or not, racer or not, love etc.). And any boat is better than no boat. Having this. Cam is right beneteaus are not bad at all, (they serve well a purpose they are made for), and of all the French boats, I think they are the best.

So go ahead, and enjoy your boat. They are not bad, ok??.

Just a thought... there are more beneteaus that crossed the Atlantic towards USA, than Catalinas, Pearsons, Cals, Tartans, IP's that crossed the other way to Europe!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.