Buying an old boat for daysailing - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Buying an old boat for daysailing

I wanted to ask opinion about buying a boat (1976 CD 25 in this case) that was rigged (bare mast and boom) but not sailed for 5 years. It was basically used with the outboard only and spent most of time at the mooring or on hard. The boat had basic maintenance, top and bottom paint. I had a first look at the boat but did not go into details yet. Everything looked visually ok for an old boat and I liked the shape. The asking is $2,000. I have a limited budget for upgrades and planning to use the boat for daysailing only so not interested to do much work on it. Is there any specific concerns that I should focus on?
Thank you.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
Freedom Chip Counter

Re: Buying an old boat for daysailing

Mast step, deck delamination, rudder, sails...is it the original motor with extended shaft... Cape Dory made many sound sailboats and I've always liked their lines. Start with the basics and dig deeper from there. Quite a few dyi survey suggestions on this forum and of course an endless supply of this old boat books on Amazon.

S/V Little Tortuga - 1969 Pearson Wanderer 30
post #3 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
Barquito

You need to make sure that everything is there that is needed for sailing. You could get buried in expenses when you start adding up everything needed to get it sailing. If there aren't sails, move on to another boat, or offer to take it for free.

Valiant 32

post #4 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

As much as I like CD boats, that may not be a best choice for daysailing, as it is a relatively heavy and slow design. But the price is realistic.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
Just another Moderator

As mentioned, if there are no sails you could spend twice the purchase price on a full set..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

I'm guessing by your question that you have no experience in owning a sailboat. Here are my three cardinal rules for newby sailboat buyers:

1) Purchase and read at least one of the how-to-do-your-own-sailboat-survey books. Put what you've learned from the books into action before you make a purchase offer.

2) Have the owner or broker take you out sailing on the boat under consideration, before you make a purchase offer. If he refuses, for any reason, move on. There are plenty of sailable boats that are for sale.

3) Be prepared to lose 100% of your purchase price and subsequent expenditures if you skip #1 or #2.

Since you are looking at a fairly heavy 25', consider that you will also want an engine (outboard motor). Other expenses that will dig deeply into a limited budget: mooring/docking fees, safety equipment, taxes and licenses, rigging repairs/maintenance, plus all the expenses pointed out in the previous responses.

Last edited by jwing; 1 Week Ago at 12:32 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

I like Cape Dories...a lot. They are well built, and most common issues can be resolved by the determined DIY type. That being said they are not low maintenance...just the teak alone takes a bit of time each season, not to mention bottom paint, and the time necessary to bring her back to life.

Having Sails that are at least serviceable is critical as previously mentioned, I would ensure that your rigging has some life left in it. If rigging is original then you have a significant expense ahead of you. Check turnbuckles carefully along with the cables for any sign of rust or damage. Thru hulls are normally Spartan Marine and should be checked to ensure they are not frozen in place. (Almost expected if the boat has been sitting for 5 years) Normally they can be serviced and be alright but if you have to replace a few then you could easily double your investment in the boat....Bronze is expensive!

I once picked up a "free" CD 28 that had spent 12 years on the hard. Spent a year preparing to launch her and have never regretted a minute of the time I spent doing the preparation since I learned so much from the experience. However the old saying that there is nothing more expensive than a free boat is spot on.

Bottom line is that there is risk with every endeavor and if you can get the boat sailing with some simple elbow grease and a weekend or two of effort I would say that the upside is greater than the downside. Expect however to put at least the 2k price of the boat back in every season. Recommend you take a sailor with more experience back to the boat to go thru it with a fine tooth comb to ensure you understand what has to be done with it to make it safe to sail and should you commit, that you join the Cape Dory Association which can assist in just about anything you would want to do to your Yacht.

V/r

Pete
post #8 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago

I'd suggest making sure the sails are more than "just servicable" I'm replacing the main and genoa on my 25' boat, you're looking at at about 2000$ IF you go with an offshore loft AND measure the sails yourself.
Personally I'm going with a local full serice sail loft which will measure, make them in house with known good quality known cloth and come back to the boat to make sure they are right for the first fitting.
After all they are what make to boat go and a bagged out set of sails that feel like old bedsheets are no fun, less efficient and harder to trim.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #9 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
cdy

You can find used sails for a CD25 fairly easily - especially headsails - but just as a price comparison - I bought an older CD 25 off Ebay last year - lots of good sails, including a brand new never used storm jib. 2 recent 4 stroke Tohatsu 's one a 3.5 and the other a 6hp - long shaft - both with less than 50 hours - a new inflatable dinghy, and lots of tools and other assorted items - paid $2,400 for it. It ended up being too small for me inside, sold it with just a main and jib, (kept all the other stuff including the engines) for $1,400 - so $2,500 seems a bit high unless the sails are good and has a decent engine. Not sure where you are but seems to be a lot of them for sale in Florida at times - I think you can get a basic one for about $1500
post #10 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thank you all for helping. The boat has all the sails in average condition (2 heads, main and spin) and a long shaft outboard which is said to be working fine but 10 y/o. Equipment is very basic. No furler. The winches might need to be replaced, they are old and rusty and I am not sure about the wood backrest that hold the winches, no rot but old. The seller does not know about the rigging age. I checked the turnbuckles and they also look old some with little rust on it, the wires look ok. The boom and mast are fine. Did not check the thru hulls. I realize that there might be already too much to do! Anyway I'll definitely try to go with an experienced person for a closer look if I decide to move forward or even get a survey. I like the style of the boat and the motor well but I agree it might not be the best for daysailing. I am also considering smaller boat 19-23 as I will single hand a lot. Trying to find a fair package between fun, comfort and low maintenance and ready to sail!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.