Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2001

mqh7 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 Mark III

Hello. I am interested in buying a new Catalina Mark III. I have heard from a few people and read posts from others on the Web that the C30 and other Catalina''s have leaks, usually around port holes.

Have any of you had the same problem? I don''t want to buy a brand new boat and have it leak right off the bat. Something tells me that if I spent $85,000 on a new boat and it leaked I would be really upset :-)

Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2001

LarryLevine is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 Mark III

from what i understand the 30 mk111 will be discontinued in the near future . Take a look at the new 310 or the 320.
Old 12-14-2001

Catalina 30 Mark III

I actaully called up Catalina Yachts in LA and I was told that they are still getting orders for the C30 Mark III. They thought the 310 and 320 would due away with the C30 but it has not seemed to happen yet. But they may still discontinue it. Time will tell.
Matt
Old 12-16-2001

sail23 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 Mark III

Hello!

I have just purchased a new Catalina 310 and I hope you are not spending $85,000. on a new Catalina 30. E-mail me if you have any questions. That boat should be perfect when you get it.

David
Old 12-17-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Catalina 30 Mark III

Leaks are the least of your problems with this poorly designed and built boat. I have sailed on this boat extensively. Here are the obvious short comings: Track for head sail sheet lead to short for working jib, coaming design lets waves over the bow run along cabin and into the ass of the person unfortunate enough to be sitting on the windward coaming, locker storage in the cabin to shallow to hold anything of substance for cruising, wiring poorly run all over the boat, flimsy sailing hardware, the cheesiest turn buckles and boots ever conceived, pan liner squeaks after a few years when separating from hull, very weak and poorly designed stanchions which leak after a few years, bow sprit of tall rig delaminated after 2 years of use, rudder assembly has no provision for wear and has tremendous slop after five years of half year use, poor light fixture placed in strange positions, most of the wing ding keel boats have permanent port list, telephone pole sized spar, other than these few short comings the boat is only marginal. All Catalinas come with fixed three blade props as standard from the factory, does this tell you something about their intended use?
Old 12-20-2001

Catalina 30 Mark III

Thank you for your posting. That is why I came to this site, to hear what people have to say and not what companies have to say.

Now I know Catalina''s are not high-end boats but I thought the C30 was pretty well made. I see a ton of them that are 10-15 years old and they still look in pretty good shape.
The shortcomings you mention, have you seen this on most Catalina''s you have come across or just a few?

Again, thanks for you input.
Matt
Old 12-20-2001

Catalina 30 Mark III

Thanks for the info. What should a new C30 run me? I was told the base price was $74k, commisioning was about $7,500 and then a few extra''s for about another 3k. Then tax on top of that brings it close to 90K.
What should it be? And what did you pay for your 310 if you don''t mind saying?

What I don''t like about the 310: The small main salon and I have to pay an extra 5k in shipping since they only make them in Florida and I live in California.

Thanks for your information.
Matt
Old 12-21-2001

sail23 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 Mark III

Matt:

Email me at dharco6215@aol.com. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I think that I can give some vauable information!

David