Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern
I would echo the thought that you should sail on as many different boats as possible before deciding what to buy. What works for me might be too much or too little for you. If you have some experience, you will be able to determine what factors are most important to you. Then, you can come to a place like this and ask "My budget is $x and I want a boat that is really stiff and has a big cockpit. I need berths for four and only a minimal galley" etc. You can guess now as to what those factors might be, but you won't really know without some sailing under your belt. For me, I wouldn't drop 80k on anything unless I was reasonably sure it would meet my needs for the foreseeable future. Now, if you wanted to spend 5-8k and buy an Oday 23 or a Catalina 22 or 25 just to get sailing now, that would be a pretty good option in my book. You will get out there and start learning, and because of the perpetual market for those types of boats, they are relatively easy to sell. btw, I don't think I ever saw my wife as stressed as when we went sailing in a small boat with our toddlers.

Amen........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
CD- Sorry, my map program brought up Clear Lake just NE of Dallas and on a Lake not Gulf.

G- Portuguese submarine, must be under the command of french department of defense! (That's where they got their "skilled" sailors!!!)
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
T, you are almost right..

The submarine is French, yes....found adrift abandoned on Portuguese Coastal waters....apparentely the crew heard some thunder and abandoned ship....no one know why....they all ran and are now hidding under a table at a local fish restaurant here.

On the way from the beach to the restaurant several items found...riffles, pistols, knives, binoculars...and a bra??????
Old 01-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
G- HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! LOL
I thought I saw the MacGragor logo on the side!!
Old 01-18-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
I will echo the learning to sail with kids on board. Not a good mix. I went through it with young kids when I moved up to a keel boat. The stress of getting in and out of the harbour, right of way issues, squalls, these were easier to deal with without the kids to worry about.

The suggestion of buying a trailer sailor is a good one. 22-26ft. learn, bump into things etc.. take the kids for brief daysails in fair conditions once your confidence level is up.

As stated before, you will also fairly quickly develop a list of must haves, don't need etc.. for your upgrade. This will help tremendously when you iwill be choosing the right boat. (you will also lose very little on the trailer sailor).

Finally when that happens, your triplets will be walking and will need car seats on board as well....

Enjoy,

Mark
Old 01-18-2007

sonofason is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies--just to clarify a few things:

I would not be taking any of the kiddos on the boat in the foreseeable future--I wouldn't trust myself at this point to supervise them adequately and maintain control of the vessel--hence daysailing and short overnight trips while grandma or babysitter watches the kids.

Also a motor will pretty much be required for survival where I'll be sailing.

As for crewing on other peoples' boats, that would be ideal, but my work/home schedule will not allow much flexibility for that, which is why I'm thinking rentals/cheap purchase with private lessons.

Any opinions on the Cheoy Lee Cadet? Is 27 ft too big for starters? If the only worry is the Portugese Submarine Fleet, I've got that covered. My brother is a P3 pilot (subhunter) in the US Navy. I'll just give him a call every time I head out of port
Old 01-18-2007

garyp is on a distinguished road
Regarding the Cheoy Lee 27: high teens to low $20's. I wouldn't recommend a boat that old for a first boat though.

I say go ahead and buy a boat. Sail it. You will want to try out and change things. You can't try things on someone else's boat. You will love having your own first boat. You will have more fun and learn more on your own boat.

Look for something popular from the late 70's to mid 80's. If it sold well then it will still sell well when you go looking for the next boat, and most likely for what you paid for it. 25 to 30 ft would be a good size range considering your experience and sailing classes. Tartan 27 or 30, Pearson 30, Cape Dory 25D, 27, Bristol 30, and various Catalinas in that size range all come to mind. All should be available in the $20's. Look at as many boats as you can for a few months. Listen to your heart as well as your mind. If the Cheoy Lee still grabs you go for it. They are pretty. That's important too.

Good luck,
Gary
sv Dragonfly
Old 01-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Cheoy Lee. Just a big believer in learning on small boats easily trailor able. My first boat was 13 1/2 ft. Great for beginners, yes you may outgrow fairly soon but as stated above, you shouldn't loose any money on it. As for the Portuguese sub "fleet" I wouldn't bother your brother with it, a pontoon boat and a couple of beer cans would probably do the trick!
Old 01-18-2007

garyp is on a distinguished road
Son of a son,

Your last post came out while I was posting.

There's a good Cheoy Lee web site. Some Cheoy Lees are under ballasted in my opinion. I don't remember the ballast ratio of the Cadet. Divide the ballast weight by the total displacement. Over 35% is good, closer to 40% is better in that size range. Some Cheoy Lees are under 30%.

27 feet is not too big, in my opinion. I'd say it's about right.

Gary
Old 01-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofason
Thanks for all the replies--just to clarify a few things:

I would not be taking any of the kiddos on the boat in the foreseeable future--I wouldn't trust myself at this point to supervise them adequately and maintain control of the vessel--hence daysailing and short overnight trips while grandma or babysitter watches the kids.

Also a motor will pretty much be required for survival where I'll be sailing.

As for crewing on other peoples' boats, that would be ideal, but my work/home schedule will not allow much flexibility for that, which is why I'm thinking rentals/cheap purchase with private lessons.

Any opinions on the Cheoy Lee Cadet? Is 27 ft too big for starters? If the only worry is the Portugese Submarine Fleet, I've got that covered. My brother is a P3 pilot (subhunter) in the US Navy. I'll just give him a call every time I head out of port
Sonof.
This time i'm serious, ok?

I sail with a 9 year old (he actually helps as he sails himself) and a now 9 month old baby all the time. Once you get the hang of it its wonderfull and you can spend some great time with the family.

This is the thing.

1) You need to learn how to sail, to be confident
2) to do that you need to do it on rented/school boats
3) don't buy a boat yet, first learn then buy
4)You can learn on a big boat if mooring entering/leving port is easy, if not, forget it...you'll piss everyone off
5)Get some larger boat experience with friends (you'll make some at the school unless you're like T34C), or even rent
6)Slowly introduce wife+kids to the boat (I sold a boat to a guy, took him, the wife and the kids for a sail, and now 2 years later, he never sails because the wife got scared, the kids vomit all over, boat for sale now)
7)ONCE you can sail, and suceed at all the above. then you buy a boat, a 26' is fine to start. Avoid real old crap, but don't go all the way new.

From here, either keep that, then not too old is OK, good choice, or sell, and buy bigger.

But first go there, do it, learn and balance at the end. Do you really want it??? does the ife want??? Green kids is not fun.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.