Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Hey CD... Why did you recommend a Catalina... I thought you hated Catalinas...
NO, me and T do!!!

CD, today I have decided to be nice to you. Just today, OK??

Tomorrow....we'll see. Boat is almost ready...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
SD,

I think everyone on this forum knows I love their boats. DEPENDING ON THE MODEL (with an emphasis there), they are the best of the production boats and are VERY popular in Texas. Beneteau/Jeauneau may have the market elsewhere in the states, but down here it is Catalinas.

I really do think that guy will make a mistake if he buys a boat with the intention of only using it when he has a babysitter. If he does not make it something that is family-friendly and family-fun, it will be for sale again in 12 months... y'all agree?? (Y'all is a Texas term, Giu. You should put that in your Portugese Dictionary).

Of course, my definition of fun is my kids around me, Marley blaring, and sunsets with my family anchored off somewhere. Others have different opinions, and I try and remember that. I think I am going to be one of those that takes the empty-nest pretty hard... so I try and enjoy it now while I can.
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
By the way Giu, we should have a "Be-Nice" day. Also think we should move our teasing to one thread so we don't take over anyone elses. Agreed? T... you agree?
Old 01-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CD-

I'll have to heartily agree with you... especially about getting a boat that doesn't require having a babysistter at home with the kids. Your definition of fun sounds pretty good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Thank you SD.

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-19-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2007

sonofason is on a distinguished road
A lot of great info here. A trailering boat is pretty much out of the question as I live 1hr to 1 1/2hrs from where I'd be sailing, depending on traffic. I've thought about the sailing clubs, but of the ones I've looked at the rental discounts aren't that substantial unless you go halves w/other members, which logistically for me is difficult to swing.

CD my goal is definately to get the kids involved as young as possible, just want to be somewhat proficient 1st. I envision it as becoming our primary "quality time" activity, eventually, and the wife is on board with that.

Sounds like no-one likes the idea of the old boat.

How does this sound? Get some sail buddies to share rental expenses at the local sailing club, sail as often as possible for 6 mos or so, then start looking for a not-so-new (mid 80's or is that still too old?) 32 footer w generator and AC. Then get some private lessons on that boat.

Also, I should definitely get a Catalina. Or was it I should under NO circumstances consider getting a Catalina

BTW, is there a best time of year to buy a boat?
Old 01-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofason
A lot of great info here. A trailering boat is pretty much out of the question as I live 1hr to 1 1/2hrs from where I'd be sailing, depending on traffic. I've thought about the sailing clubs, but of the ones I've looked at the rental discounts aren't that substantial unless you go halves w/other members, which logistically for me is difficult to swing.

CD my goal is definately to get the kids involved as young as possible, just want to be somewhat proficient 1st. I envision it as becoming our primary "quality time" activity, eventually, and the wife is on board with that.

Sounds like no-one likes the idea of the old boat.

How does this sound? Get some sail buddies to share rental expenses at the local sailing club, sail as often as possible for 6 mos or so, then start looking for a not-so-new (mid 80's or is that still too old?) 32 footer w generator and AC. Then get some private lessons on that boat.

Also, I should definitely get a Catalina. Or was it I should under NO circumstances consider getting a Catalina

BTW, is there a best time of year to buy a boat?
Sounds like a good plan. You have to do the planning, not us here...
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Winter boat sales are typically slow. You may be able to negotiate a better deal now. As far as the type and size, a few days with a captain and you will get yourself around enough to make things work. The splitting the rent with other sailors is the safest option - but will that get you what you want? If so... it sounds like a win-win.

As far as the Catalina, it is the right choice and a good solid boat with great resale (as far as boats go). Let me know models that you like and I will give you an honest evaluation.

- CD

PS Good to hear on the kids. If sailing is your passion, your kids will become passionate about it too. It is an adventure the family will love.
Old 01-19-2007

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Sonofason:
there is some very good advice here, choose what is applicable to your circumstances.
For what it is worth, do not be so quick to discount trailerables, they can be slipped like any other boat and if it is the one you plan to sell when you upgrade, it is easier to sell and does not have monthly slip fees to pay while on the market for sale. Also if you start small and then upgrade be absolutely sure it is popular and resellable, there is a reason why there are so many boats for sale these days. Do some demographics research, a real eye opener, many baby boomers entering retirement age. When they sell their boats in a few years the markets will be flooded, you will have trouble selling any boat, there simply aren't enough younger buyers out there and what ones there are come from the instant gratification generation and they buy powerboats. A bit of demographics research will tell you that any sailboat you buy is going to be a white elephant later on, so plan to keep it, or have it inherited. One more thing, if you unexpectedly become financially squeezed, that monthly moorage fee is going to be the first expense you want to divest yourself of and few others will want to assume it, depending on the economic climate, that is where trailerables have the advantage.
Old 01-19-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
a texas boy here, lemme give ya some other texas sayings

"bless your heart" = f-you.
"Fixin' ta" = getting ready to
"you-un's" = y'all... plus one (usually the number of people you can fit into the back of your pick-up truck without drawing the attention of the po-lice)

I'm all over the catalina 30, if it doesn't work out, you can sell her easily and a fairly good passle of kiddo's can wander around without drivin' y'all nuts. .

I'm in far north texas, and am bored stupid. The cuban is drivin' me nuts, the 13 year old is about to get her head handed to her in a basket and this thing in my chest is itchin' like an STD.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs